DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible drone damage?

johnny540

Reactions
Hello,

I am new to the drone world (1 day) and I think I’ve already caused damage to my mavic mini 2 drone. Could someone give me their opinion so maybe I can feel at ease about this.

What has happened was; I had accidentally started the drone in the house and it wanted to take off, I walked outside and it continued to want to take off from my hand. I was scared that it would try to return to the position that the drone first started up , so I continued to hold it so it didn’t crash into the house. I managed to shut the drone down about 1 minute after starting it. I held the drone back and am concerned that I did damage while doing this, I flew it right after this and the only thing that was warm was the battery that was being used. It seemed fine also, but I only ran it for about 2 minutes after.
Was this really bad for my drone ?

Thank you in advance, Johnny

Hello,

I am new to the drone world (1 day) and I think I’ve already caused damage to my mavic mini 2 drone. Could someone give me their opinion so maybe I can feel at ease about this.

What has happened was; I had accidentally started the drone in the house and it wanted to take off, I walked outside and it continued to want to take off from my hand. I was scared that it would try to return to the position that the drone first started up , so I continued to hold it so it didn’t crash into the house. I managed to shut the drone down about 1 minute after starting it. I held the drone back and am concerned that I did damage while doing this, I flew it right after this and the only thing that was warm was the battery that was being used. It seemed fine also, but I only ran it for about 2 minutes after.

I am pretty sure your ok. Holding it back couldn't have created much more resist then high wind gusts. Most of dji drones are pretty durable. Oh and when you get good enough on the sticks you can fly slowly through your house

Hello,

I think your fine.

Did you accidentally do the auto take off then ?
If stick start I imagine it wouldn't want to take off by itself.

Trust you had the camera gimbal clamp off, that's about the only possible damage that could occur if it was left on.

Does the Mini2 not stop if it's turned on its side ?
That usually kills the motors immediately on other DJI drones, imagine it would on the minis too.

That would have been a scary situation for you, not knowing what to do, bit of panic etc.

Always learning to be gained from hindsight of a near accident.
Now is the time to get into the forum here, read up a lot, especially the Crash & Flyaway section . . . and look up a few of the unboxing, first flight, settings, and tips & tricks videos on YouTube.

Reactions: johnny540
Thank you to all of you who answered, there was definitely some panic that happened and I didn’t want to just let it go. I hit both the sticks downward and the propellers then started spinning. I panicked and walked out side, causing it to try to take off (or at least trying to take off.) Once the drone is flipped over , it does an emergency stop, but I did not know this at the time. I was just curious if me holding it back could have actually damaged or strained the motors since it was really trying to pull from my hand.
It was a stupid mistake on my part, I genuinely feel dumb that I caused this to happen.
It was scary for me especially not knowing what to do in that case, I successfully launched it from my hand earlier that day and just figured I’d need to really jolt the drone to make it want to start taking off but it was only a slight movement that triggered its takeoff this time.
I really appreciate all of you commenting and helping me feel better about this, I will definitely be reading a lot more on this forum involving safety.
Also, one of my three batteries included with the drone has flashed from the very start (3rd indicator light 3 times every like 5-10 seconds) any information on this would be much appreciated also. Again thank you to everyone for the help.

Thank you to all of you who answered, there was definitely some panic that happened and I didn’t want to just let it go. I hit both the sticks downward and the propellers then started spinning. I panicked and walked out side, causing it to try to take off (or at least trying to take off.) Once the drone is flipped over , it does an emergency stop, but I did not know this at the time. I was just curious if me holding it back could have actually damaged or strained the motors since it was really trying to pull from my hand.
It was a stupid mistake on my part, I genuinely feel dumb that I caused this to happen.
It was scary for me especially not knowing what to do in that case, I successfully launched it from my hand earlier that day and just figured I’d need to really jolt the drone to make it want to start taking off but it was only a slight movement that triggered its takeoff this time.
I really appreciate all of you commenting and helping me feel better about this, I will definitely be reading a lot more on this forum involving safety.
Also, one of my three batteries included with the drone has flashed from the very start (3rd indicator light 3 times every like 5-10 seconds) any information on this would be much appreciated also. Again thank you to everyone for the help.
Also the gimbal cover was removed at this point.

If the motors are turning and the elevation lowers by an inch, the mini senses the drop and spins up and fights to maintain the original altitude. If you raise your hand up slightly the fighting will stop or just release it and it will raise up the inch or so and hover.

Suggest you test a few hand launches and when you feel comfortable you can just start the motors, drop your hand and the mini will hover.

Did you accidentally do the auto take off then ?
If stick start I imagine it wouldn't want to take off by itself.

Trust you had the camera gimbal clamp off, that's about the only possible damage that could occur if it was left on.

Does the Mini2 not stop if it's turned on its side ?
That usually kills the motors immediately on other DJI drones, imagine it would on the minis too.

That would have been a scary situation for you, not knowing what to do, bit of panic etc.

Always learning to be gained from hindsight of a near accident.
Now is the time to get into the forum here, read up a lot, especially the Crash & Flyaway section . . . and look up a few of the unboxing, first flight, settings, and tips & tricks videos on YouTube.
I did not know about turning it to it’s side at the moment that this happened. I just remember the drone trying to pull from me quite hard at times. The gimbal clamp was off at this time.

I seriously hope I didn’t damage it!

it is severely windy here today so I can’t even test it out.

what would be some obvious signs to look for when I’m doing my next flight. (To check for damages caused)

Thank you for the comment btw.

Don't stress Johnny, I think you'll be fine next flight.
Do that (as recommended by almost all pilots) in a large open flat area, like a sports oval etc.
Take your time.
If you can't fly today and have time, take a look at some MM2 first flight videos on YouTube.

I am pretty sure your ok. Holding it back couldn't have created much more resist then high wind gusts. Most of dji drones are pretty durable. Oh and when you get good enough on the sticks you can fly slowly through your house
That’s what I figured also , but I am so new to all of this that I was truly concerned about this. It is embarrassing that this has even happened to me , but I thought I’d ask all of you who have lots of experience .
My whole fly more combo may be going back anyways , due to a battery and some other stuff that came defective out of the box. The store I purchased it from told me they will exchange it when they’re back open on the 21st of may after the lockdown period is over but I could probably just see if they would only replace the one battery too.
Should I just get the replacement since they are offering it anyways to avoid any possible future headaches with the motors or do you genuinely think Its fine?

Thank you so much, for all of your help!

you'll be just fine.
give yourself some practice in calm air and open spaces.
practice simple take offs and landings.
it's all part of the learning curve, we've all done it.
mini2 is a marvelous bit of drone technology!
where in canada are you?

Don't stress Johnny, I think you'll be fine next flight.
Do that (as recommended by almost all pilots) in a large open flat area, like a sports oval etc.
Take your time.
If you can't fly today and have time, take a look at some MM2 first flight videos on YouTube.
Thank you very much , I will be going to a very wide open area next flight.
Cheers my friend

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
you'll be just fine.
give yourself some practice in calm air and open spaces.
practice simple take offs and landings.
it's all part of the learning curve, we've all done it.
mini2 is a marvelous bit of drone technology!
where in canada are you?
Glad to hear it will be fine, I will for sure be going to a very open area next flight and then do lots of practicing.
I am in Brantford, Ontario
Thank you for your reply !

If the motors are turning and the elevation lowers by an inch, the mini senses the drop and spins up and fights to maintain the original altitude. If you raise your hand up slightly the fighting will stop or just release it and it will raise up the inch or so and hover.

Suggest you test a few hand launches and when you feel comfortable you can just start the motors, drop your hand and the mini will hover.
It definitely was taking off (or trying to at least) it had lots of pull power and was almost fighting me . I finally got it to stop by hitting the landing icon to land it.
I really hope I didn’t damage it by straining the motors from holding it down while it was constantly working to pull away .

Thanks for your help !

It was definitely nudged and trying to fly away. I ended up hitting the landing icon causing it to finally end the chaos.
Hopefully it’s ok though.
Thanks for the advice!

Not trying to demean you sir, but with your level of experience, I hope you have learned to never CSC your Mini in the house... and no you didn't hurt the mini with what you did, but you know now that there are several "tricks" to disarm motors. One has to be set in app, I believe you have that setting in the fly app. For your CSC, set it that down and in on both sticks kills motors. You can practice what works best for you, for a go to in your next emergency.

Just so you know, if your motors are pulling as you describe just raise and lower the aircraft rather quickly to determine that the aircraft knows you are "in flight" then give a slight right stick (Any direction). Hold your hand still and hold down left stick till motors stop, or simply hold it above your head at full arms length and quickly release it steping back at same time, it will hold hover in place. (Land normally) ;)...Next time if there is any, remain calm and walk though steps that you know now. Chill and have a good one. :)

Last edited:
Not trying to demean you sir, but with your level of experience, I hope you have learned to never CSC your Mini in the house... and no you didn't hurt the mini with what you did, but you know now that there are several "tricks" to disarm motors. One has to be set in app, I believe you have that setting in the fly app. For your CSC, set it that down and in on both sticks kills motors. You can practice what works best for you, for a go to in your next emergency.

Just so you know, if your motors are pulling as you describe just raise and lower the aircraft rather quickly to determine that the aircraft knows you are "in flight" then give a slight right stick (Any direction). Hold your hand still and hold down left stick till motors stop, or simply hold it above your head at full arms length and quickly release it steping back at same time, it will hold hover in place. (Land normally) ;)...Next time if there is any, remain calm and walk though steps that you know now. Chill and have a good one. :)
Thank you for that sir , I appreciate the support.
Definitely didn’t have the skill to CSC in the house, I think this went well for the situation I put myself in. I’m fortunate I didn’t damage the drone any inside of the house , or while holding onto it preventing take off while it was really trying to pull away.
I have viewed lots of content but never any about what to do in this situation. I’m glad you have taught me multiple ways to disable flight of my drone. I will be going into my settings and adjust the motors off to down and in now.
Thank you very much for your help, I was very worried for my new drone. I really hope it is indeed fine. Scary stuff for me!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty