DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible legal action?

Seba.89

Reactions
Hey guys - I'm not sure if it should be in this part of forum - if not - my apologies..
To the point - let's say a friend of mine was flying his mavic somewhere in Sydney where he was "caught" by security of a nearby tourist attraction. Luckily they didn't call the police or anything but they just wanted the drone aerial number and his details (which he gave). No document was signed by him and basically they let him off.
The question is now if and what action should he expect?
Obviously he won't fly nearby there as now he's aware that flying in Sydney is not exactly legal...
Thanks !

Depends, need more info.
But they could give CASA the details and they could investigate and maybe prosecute.
Flying in restricted area, over populated area, too close to people etc.
Not knowing all circumstances but he mayb should have refused to give any info and just packed up and walked away after apologising.
Security really have no power to physically detain unless there is a serious breach of law and ongoing threats of violence.

Yeah I should've denied but somehow the guard seemed friendly and told it's just for their inside purpose..
But now when I think - why would they need serial number for inside purpose?
Another thing is will they be able to prove who flew the drone?
It's like with a car - even though it's registered to someone it doesn't say that person was behind the wheel, right?

Your friend should use the CASA app "Can I Fly There".
It shows the entire Sydney Harbour as a Restricted Flight Zone.
It can be challenging just finding a place to practice flying.

Private security guards have extremely limited powers in Australia and certainly no powers to detain unless they want to go down the citizens arrest route and that would certainly backfire in this case

Private security guards have extremely limited powers in Australia and certainly no powers to detain unless they want to go down the citizens arrest route and that would certainly backfire in this case
Completely true in Australia.
Their power to detain, arrest or search are really quite limited.
Security guards are employees of whatever company is hiring them.
Just be nice accept their direction, if it's warranted, and move on.
They cannot detain you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom