DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post you best Zooms Here : I may never have to leave the home again.

I am having a blast with the New Zoom, You do have to use the Tap to AF when your at 28x but its still amazing.

Update: Video coming soon

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain/Snow an Land on Water
The moon this morning but having GPS problems, wouldn't lock for more than a couple seconds..

Attachments

• dji_export_1643117332830.jpg
    dji_export_1643117332830.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
  • Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
WOW that is the best moon I have ever seen with a Drone, You killed it. I have tried many time but not with the New Zoom, sorry about the GPS took me 1 Minute to get 12 Sats and up and running today, Still not easy.

WOW that is the best moon I have ever seen with a Drone, You killed it. I have tried many time but not with the New Zoom, sorry about the GPS took me 1 Minute to get 12 Sats and up and running today, Still not easy.
GPS was weird this morning12-15-17 then 5.. in and out like that.. then put up my Air 2 and it was doing the same but stayed connected. 12-15-18-26 then down to 8. Mav3 kept kicking me out of time-lapse but Air 2 stayed locked and finished the sunrise..

Sunset over Mt. Rainier, shot yesterday at dusk.

Left : Ultra wide (15.5mm)
Center: 7X optical zoom (162mm)
Right. : 28X digital zoom

The fact I can capture both ultra wide and zoom-in images in a single flight is beyond amazing. This really puts Mavic 3 on top of all other drones.

MtRainierSunset.jpg

Last edited:
ohh ohh this thread is going to be viral !!! I need to enter the challenge... My alligators are coming zooooommmm.

Just tried it today. Wow!

Attachments

• A3527D39-58D3-4AC6-874B-80EEED389210_1_201_a.jpeg
    A3527D39-58D3-4AC6-874B-80EEED389210_1_201_a.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 30
  • 32EA8202-6B7F-4661-9009-C08C01A14888.jpeg
    32EA8202-6B7F-4661-9009-C08C01A14888.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 30
That idea of a Zoomed in Pano came out really nice, I was just getting comfortable with the Manual Panos when the update on the Mavic 3 came out and I stopped . But now that I see how well that zoom came out I may have to go back to the Manual Panos so much more creative flow.

I also just now realized that if I am able to pull the trigger on the picture in a storm I may get a better result being in control , lots of ideas , Thank you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain / Snow ,

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That idea of a Zoomed in Pano came out really nice, I was just getting comfortable with the Manual Panos when the update on the Mavic 3 came out and I stopped . But now that I see how well that zoom came out I may have to go back to the Manual Panos so much more creative flow.

I also just now realized that if I am able to pull the trigger on the picture in a storm I may get a better result being in control , lots of ideas , Thank you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain / Snow ,
I, too, was impressed by the 7x telephoto stitched pano! Technically, it is not zoomed. It's a true fixed 7x optical telephoto lens, shooting 12MP stills, on a 1/2” sensor in JPG only. I wish DJI would automate panos using the 7x camera. However, manual shooting works fine, too! Unfortunately, by my calculations a 7x telephoto full Spherical Pano would require 1,274 still images! A 180° pano should be half that, or 637 images! Manually shooting the requisite images with sufficient overlap at that level of detail isn't possible without some form of azimuth angle readout, where there is no visual detail in every single individual shot required, especially in the sky, water, and the background. Someone had suggested using the 9 box overlay grid to create the 33% overlap, which should work great for the wide panorama of the city depicted above, with plenty of detail in each stitched image. Lots of new possibilities!

Unfortunately, the 7x telephoto camera can't yet shoot DNG and doesn't allow AEB bracketing of exposures, which I discovered today, so keep the sun out of your panos with it, and shoot in even lighting in the direction you wish to shoot, or flat lighting on overcast days, or at night.

Last edited:
This is pretty cool and I am going to run this 7x Optical tomorrow , but I am not clear on the 9 Box overlay Grid is that on the drone screen, that I use to take my shots for the 180 ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Here is a test comparison in the house in low light between a 600% cropped 1x on the 4/3 camera and a 100% image on the 7x telephoto 1/2” sensor from the exact same position, some 12 feet away. Note how much more detail and sharpness the 7x is able to pick up, but the 1x original image has a 7x larger field of view from which to create multiple different 600% crops, that are still very good, and the 4/3 camera has a much better dynamic range, and shoots at f/2.8 instead of f/4.4 so it is 3x as bright in low light. In good lighting,the 7x telephoto will always have more detail. At night, it might be a toss up!
7AE898E1-3928-471C-93B9-A916B97108AA.jpeg

I also experimented with how to make minor movements with the 7x telephoto lens for stitching multiple images. We have no azimuth degree display in the Fly app. However, the camera can be panned left or right by 5° by dragging on the screen, while displaying the degree change on the screen from -5° to +5°. The gimbal can also easily be elevated in displayed degrees in increments of 5°, too, from any gimbal elevation. Without even flying, the camera can then be manually controlled to shoot a 3x3 grid with the 7x telephoto. The 5° changes left and right correspond to roughly one of the grid boxes on the 9 box gridline overlay, away from center, allowing for 30% overlap. I created this 3x3 panorama by stitching the 9 images together in PanoramaStudio Pro. The original is 30MB and 7498 x 6497 but uploading it here has resized it to only 2048 x 1775 and 469MB

Original full sized file is here:
www.photosbyphil.com/7x_Test
Zoom in to check out the detail captured in the original full sized file!

1B0C2ABE-3E2D-4978-803D-7F7D57BF3DDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Sunset over Mt. Rainier, shot yesterday at dusk.

Left : Ultra wide (15.5mm)
Center: 7X optical zoom (162mm)
Right. : 28X digital zoom

The fact I can capture both ultra wide and zoom-in images in a single flight is beyond amazing. This really puts Mavic 3 on top of all other drones.

View attachment 142655

You Win! WOW lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61