DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Potentially dumb question about battery storage

Nanosauromo

Reactions
With the COVID lockdown I haven't flown in a while and probably won't for a while longer, and it's occured to me that for several months my Mavic has been sitting in my closet with a battery inside it. Is it a bad thing to leave a battery installed in an unused drone for long periods of time? Can that cause damage?

I realize I'm probably over-worrying, but I just found an unrelated electronic device that had been left in storage with AA batteries in it for a long time and it's destroyed, so I'm wondering if something similar could happen with Mavic batteries.

I remove my batteries when stored for any period of time. It’s easy for distractions or simply forgetting . So I store them outside the drone. With the air 2, after 4/5 days it discharges the batteries to 60%.Does the mavic have a similar feature with the smart battery?. So ideally if not going to use for weeks, months you don’t want to store full. This tires cells out fast which in turn increases IR . Ideally store 20-40% for longer durations . Regarding AA alkileaks, if can invest in some Sanyo eneloops , the nihm’s are quite hardy and being LSD hold a good charge % for years.

With the COVID lockdown I haven't flown in a while and probably won't for a while longer, and it's occured to me that for several months my Mavic has been sitting in my closet with a battery inside it. Is it a bad thing to leave a battery installed in an unused drone for long periods of time? Can that cause damage?

I realize I'm probably over-worrying, but I just found an unrelated electronic device that had been left in storage with AA batteries in it for a long time and it's destroyed, so I'm wondering if something similar could happen with Mavic batteries.

It doesn't matter whether the battery is in the aircraft - all that matters is that it is not stored fully charged. The MP batteries will self-discharge to a safe storage level of 60% or so.

Reactions: Rockycat
as lomg as you check the batts once a month and keep them in the 40 to 65% charge range they will be fine, i have one in the drone and three in the case with no issues ,but i would probably remove the one from the drone if not flying for a long time

Regarding AA alkileaks, if can invest in some Sanyo eneloops , the nihm’s are quite hardy and being LSD hold a good charge % for years.
Eneloops FTW! I have dozens of AA and AAA... luv 'em. Also keep a running list of what devices they are installed in so I won't forget where they are LOL.

Disposable batteries leak... in general, rechargeables do not. Leaking disposables have destroyed many of my gadgets over the years, got tired of it and decided to do something... eneloops!

Reactions: BossBob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S