DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Power Mavic 2 ON While Folded

Kmc0929

Reactions
If you just need to power the Mavic 2 on to download photos from the USB-C port, do you have to unfold the entire thing?

If you just need to power the Mavic 2 on to download photos from the USB-C port, do you have to unfold the entire thing?
If you do we both in trouble. I power mine up often with it closed for differant reasons and never had any issues.

BUT you do want to remove the Gimbal protector. Each time you power on, the gimbal/camera goes through a test dance and you want it to be free so that the motors are not working against the gimbal protector.

I power mine up often with it closed for differant reasons and never had any issues.
Me too. It's a perfectly safe thing to do.

BUT you do want to remove the Gimbal protector. Each time you power on, the gimbal/camera goes through a test dance and you want it to be free so that the motors are not working against the gimbal protector.
Whoops left that out. I just take that for granted. Good catch . Thumbswayup

Well you learn something new everyday, I always unfolded the legs/ remove gimbal cover for firmware updates/photo downloads. I was just a little concerned about prop movement on startup.

Now I also know, thanks guys?

Reactions: Smalls
Well you learn something new everyday, I always unfolded the legs/ remove gimbal cover for firmware updates/photo downloads. I was just a little concerned about prop movement on startup.

Now I also know, thanks guys?

Good point.The motors do move on startup, even if its only a little twitch each. Whenever I start a drone, the arms get extended. After it powers on and the motors are done twitching it can be folded up again to offload media or to calibrate the IMU.

You especially dont want to power it on folded up with props on.

Good point.The motors do move on startup, even if its only a little twitch each. Whenever I start a drone, the arms get extended. After it powers on and the motors are done twitching it can be folded up again to offload media or to calibrate the IMU.

You especially dont want to power it on folded up with props on.

Thanks for that rob, 99% of the time the props are off but because of the slight movement (twitch) I’ve got into a habit just to unfold the legs, props on or off.

But now I know??

Reactions: Drgnfli
Another good point!

As far as the motor movement, I set mine on a small piece of 2x4 lumber padded with cloth so the motors don’t touch.

Another good idea ?

That’s why I’ve always unfolded the legs, just didn’t want to cause any unnecessary problems.

I think I’m to set in my own ways, habits, I know I’ll forget and still unfold the legs?

Reactions: Former Member
I was just a little concerned about prop movement on startup.
I don't know that this will actually cause any problems, but I don't like to take any chances. I always hold the aircraft in my hand, power it on, wait for the motors to twitch, and then set it down. It's a lot easier than unfolding the legs and then folding them back up.

Reactions: Porky
Another good idea ?

That’s why I’ve always unfolded the legs, just didn’t want to cause any unnecessary problems.

I think I’m to set in my own ways, habits, I know I’ll forget and still unfold the legs?
My problem is that at my desk, I don't have real room to unfold the legs when I want to plug it into my computer. I need some form of lightweigh vise I can attach to my computer (patent pending!!!!!)

Reactions: Porky
My problem is that at my desk, I don't have real room to unfold the legs when I want to plug it into my computer. I need some form of lightweigh vise I can attach to my computer (patent pending!!!!!)

I’m must be lucky with room, ?I store my Mavic on my desk with legs extended after flying.

Oh I don’t like change ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929