DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Power on your Mavic Pro before putting on these ND filter?

alonbl

Reactions
I was thinking about buying one of these filters:
POLARPRO DJI MAVIC 2 PRO STANDARD SERIES 3-pack (ND8, ND16, ND32 )
or
FREEWELL VARIABLE ND NEUTRAL DENSITY (VND) 2-5 STOPS, 6-9 STOPS FOR DJI MAVIC 2 PRO DRONE
or
PGYTECH Advanced Mavic 2 Pro Filter Camera Lens Filters ND8/16/32/64-PL ND8/16/32/64 for DJI Mavic 2 Pro Drone

Q1: Which one is better?
Q2: Which of them requires powering on the Mavic 2 Pro before putting it on?
Q3: Is there a real use for ND64?

Your Title "Power on your Mavic Pro before putting on these ND filter?" suggests you do this ?

The Gimbal does Calibration on Power-Up-
You would no doubt mess that Up - and possibly damage the gimbal in the process-
There are a number of servo motors - adjusting the Gimbal Continuously from Power on.

I strongly recommend that your ND Filter is On FIRST before power up --… Not touching it till powered off.

Your Title "Power on your Mavic Pro before putting on these ND filter?" suggests you do this ?

You would no doubt mess that Up - and possibly damage the gimbal in the process-
There are a number of servo motors - adjusting the Gimbal Continuously from Power on.

I strongly recommend that your ND Filter is On FIRST before power up --… Not touching it till powered off.

I'm not suggesting I'm doing this because I dont have any ND filters yet. I'm asking these questions because I read that some of the filters requires putting them on after powering on the drone.

Which of them requires powering on the Mavic 2 Pro before putting it on?
The gimbal will attempt to resist any pressure you apply to it while powered on. So, all filters technically require the Mavic to be powered off before putting them on.

Can you put them on while the Mavic is powered on? Sure! I never do that, but some people do.

Sometimes you don’t believe everything you read.
Welcome to the forum and glad you joined and asked this.
You were told correctly in the second post and wonder
where you read that. I guess you could but you would take
the risk of damaging you gimbal.

welcome to the forum,the reason this info about putting the filter on after powering up the drone has come about is because some of the cheaper heavier filters on the market,have caused gimbal errors during the start up dance,and the myth that the way to overcome this,was to fit them after start up was born, if the gimbal has an overload error due to a filter being attached then it is only a matter of time before the gimbal motor is going to fail

agreed,,the worst thing you can do to a dji drone is to hold the camera gimbal while the drone is under power,i cannot speak for other drone manufacturers but i can say with all certainty you will damage the drone.

Reactions: Thomas B
Ok thanks. so what is the answer to the first question?
question 1 polarpro
question 2 already answered in post #6
question 3 8,16,32, are more than adequate for most conditions and requirements

Reactions: alonbl
Another question if I may, What is better the ND normal or ND with PL?
And what is the most common filter set for bright days?

Last edited:
Another question if I may, What is better the ND normal or ND with PL?

Polarizing Filters (PL) can be amazing - if you want (need) certain effects-
Depending on the Direction of the Sun from you (Best at 90degrees)

1) You can see Blues Clearer and Blue-er (so a Sky can look amazing)

2) Horizontal Polarizers (my Preference as a Photographer) are different to Circular Polarizers - The idea Being that you can rotate the filter to get a stronger effect when horizontal (either up or down)

3)A polarizing filter also filters reflections from Glass or Water - ie NO REFELCTION will be seen-
This could be a good thing or a Bad thing - when filming Waterscapes -
Its better to Google these - with Photos - to see the effects -

4) Essentially if the above are not important to you - then a standard ND (Neutral Density) Lense - will slow alternatively Darken the Video - This is useful - at Midday when shooting to get strong colours through with LESS of the Bright/ Dark contrasts that the midday brings.

If you shoot in the Early Morning or Late afternoon - … you will find NO FILTER at all is necessary - to get Great Videos /Photos.
In this case a horizontal Polarizer (No ND) can be unbelievable Awsome bringing out DEEP DEEP Blues in the Sky and Water.

This Subject requires a fair amount of study if you're serious about certain types of Photography -
For example using an ND FILTER at Night - May well void the whole video - on DJI drones - as it really cuts down - on the shutter speed (slowing the camera) and creating Lines as you Pan.

SO Understand filters - before Just whacking them on -

See the following Link filters (polarized) - with Pics.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Polarizing Filters (PL) can be amazing - if you want (need) certain effects-
Depending on the Direction of the Sun from you (Best at 90degrees)

1) You can see Blues Clearer and Blue-er (so a Sky can look amazing)

2) Horizontal Polarizers (my Preference as a Photographer) are different to Circular Polarizers - The idea Being that you can rotate the filter to get a stronger effect when horizontal (either up or down)

3)A polarizing filter also filters reflections from Glass or Water - ie NO REFELCTION will be seen-
This could be a good thing or a Bad thing - when filming Waterscapes -
Its better to Google these - with Photos - to see the effects -

4) Essentially if the above are not important to you - then a standard ND (Neutral Density) Lense - will slow alternatively Darken the Video - This is useful - at Midday when shooting to get strong colours through with LESS of the Bright/ Dark contrasts that the midday brings.

If you shoot in the Early Morning or Late afternoon - … you will find NO FILTER at all is necessary - to get Great Videos /Photos.
In this case a horizontal Polarizer (No ND) can be unbelievable Awsome bringing out DEEP DEEP Blues in the Sky and Water.

This Subject requires a fair amount of study if you're serious about certain types of Photography -
For example using an ND FILTER at Night - May well void the whole video - on DJI drones - as it really cuts down - on the shutter speed (slowing the camera) and creating Lines as you Pan.

SO Understand filters - before Just whacking them on -

See the following Link filters (polarized) - with Pics.

Hope this helps...

Q1:And what is the most common filter set for bright days?

Q2:How are these filters? (I'm a little broke after purchasing the drone)

Q1:And what is the most common filter set for bright days?

Q2:How are these filters? (I'm a little broke after purchasing the drone)
The gimbal will attempt to resist any pressure you apply to it while powered on. So, all filters technically require the Mavic to be powered off before putting them on.

Can you put them on while the Mavic is powered on? Sure! I never do that, but some people do.
I’m With You, I Would NEVER Do That While Powered On, To Much Software Issues Can Go Wrong, I Alway’s Put Filters On While Turned Off, They Work Just Fine That Way... I Have Them On Both My Mavic’s Pro 2, And Zoom.. Leave Them On All The Time ... PolarPro Circular Polarizer On My Pro, And PolarPro ND4 Polarizer On My Zoom...

I have variable ND filters and love them, one for bright days & one for not so bright, I attach the appropriate filter for the day and turn it for the required density, saves a lot of trial & error that I have with a set of normal ND filters.
Only my opinion and I know others don’t like them but think they are great.
I attach one then power on.

I have the Freewell variable ND filter..., I love it, and it is actually infinitely adjustable within its limits, rather than being fixed to a set of individual filters.
I also own PP NDPLs is several flavors and use them often.
I always change/apply filters with my drone off.

Reactions: dirkclod
Horizontal Polarizers (my Preference as a Photographer) are different to Circular Polarizers - The idea Being that you can rotate the filter to get a stronger effect when horizontal (either up or down)
You seem to be keeping a common misconception alive here.

With respect to what you call a “horizontal” polariser you are likely referring to what is correctly named, or at least commonly understood to be, a linear polariser (PL).

A circular polariser (in photographic applications) is a PL with a 1/4 wave plate sandwiched behind it (lens side).

Both PL and CPL filters perform identically with respect to use and creative application. This includes the manner in which rotation will influence the effect.

The advantage of a CPL is it allows for correct operation of metering and/or autofocus functions in cameras (predominantly SLR) where strict polarisation can effect performance. Effectively the polarised light passed by the first filter layer is converted to circular polarisation.

a standard ND (Neutral Density) Lense - will slow alternatively Darken the Video - This is useful - at Midday when shooting to get strong colours through with LESS of the Bright/ Dark contrasts that the midday brings.
An ND filter is of no use in improving contrast or, as you seem to be suggesting, to compress or improve ability of the sensor to cope with wide dynamic range. It also won’t, assuming it functions as intended, have any impact in colour rendition. An ND is, by design, intended to be neutral. Altering your exposure settings will perform the same outcome.

Reactions: W2EJ
So most of you saying that I better get this:

and not this?

Even though the budget kit has CPL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL filters which there are non in the VND kit (CPL/PL).

So most of you saying that I better get this:

and not this?

Even though the budget kit has CPL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL filters which there are non in the VND kit (CPL/PL).
This is my recommendation and I own both. Love the ease of use and saving several hundred dollars.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka