DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Powerextra Mavic Battery Warning

Robert Granata

Reactions
Decided to try some faux Mavic batteries since I needed to replace a couple of used up ones and plan on buying the Mavic II as soon as it comes out. I got these from Amazon today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SFLYW6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put the first one in my Mavic and didn't hear the usual *snap*. I pulled up on the battery and it came right out! I pushed it down a little more forcefully than normal and same thing, no *snap* and it comes out without depressing the clips. It kind of halfway clips sometimes, but never securely. The clip design doesn't fully engage the recess in the Mavic. No problem with Amazon taking them back and they are already on the front doorstep.

I read the reviews, The first seemed a little odd that they spelled out "Mavic Pro drone" at the end of their post... a little post from the seller ya think. Also one mentioned it wouldn't charge. Between your comments and the not charging post, its a tempting price, but I think I'll pass too. thanks for the heads up.

Decided to try some faux Mavic batteries since I needed to replace a couple of used up ones and plan on buying the Mavic II as soon as it comes out. I got these from Amazon today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SFLYW6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put the first one in my Mavic and didn't hear the usual *snap*. I pulled up on the battery and it came right out! I pushed it down a little more forcefully than normal and same thing, no *snap* and it comes out without depressing the clips. It kind of halfway clips sometimes, but never securely. The clip design doesn't fully engage the recess in the Mavic. No problem with Amazon taking them back and they are already on the front doorstep.

I was going to grab one and test for everyone but happy I saved my cash.

My knowledge on them is from the drone valley review from yesterday and their web site. Drone valley commented on how well they fit when he installed and replaced them. It sucks you had a problem because I was going to get one or two.

My knowledge on them is from the drone valley review from yesterday and their web site. Drone valley commented on how well they fit when he installed and replaced them. It sucks you had a problem because I was going to get one or two.
I tried em' both. Maybe they both got by the same inspector, but the clips didn't even extend halfway into the recess.

I have two and they fit just fine I do always pull up on the batt after and it has always clipped in firmly.. They seem like a good company just send it back and get another one...

That is most unfortunate. I have purchased 3 batteries for my Mavic with no problems.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Big shocker (said no one ever when hearing about issues with some unknown 3rd party battery).

Better yet is when it's in the air and one of these 3rd party batteries falls out. $1200 lost to save how much money (about $25)?

That is most unfortunate. I have purchased 3 batteries for my Mavic with no problems.
Good luck!

One of the OEM batteries that came with my Mavic just crapped out (bad cell). Are you still using your Powerextra batteries, and how are they holding up?

I tried one and I will not do it again. For the most par it works fine but I get battery warning from time to time when using it. Also it seems to run hotter than my DJI batteries.

All three of mine are fine no problems at all.. i will buy more when i need them.

Yeah, um, nope.

I bet if you have DJI care and crash with this battery installed, you won't be covered....any thoughts?

I bet if you have DJI care and crash with this battery installed, you won't be covered....any thoughts?

I have no doubt if DJI knew of this that they would not honor the warranty. Legally they would need to show that the battery caused the damage. However, I suspect they would simply deny the warranty anyway and see where the chips fell.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Have the Air fly more combo so when I found Amazon selling the (brand new - NOT refurbished) Pro for £750 - I bit.

But did want extra battery capacity. So kept to low cost options just to see how they compared. One used battery via eBay for slightly over half price and one new Powerextra to give three batteries, like the Air.

It's nonsense to suggest that these batteries can fall out in use. It'd have to defy gravity to manage that since the battery forms the roof of the drone body. Also, mine clicks into place exactly like the DJI examples, gives similar flight times, identical charge time etc etc.

In appearance there's detail differences. The plastic colour is a tiny shade paler and the LED strip is a blurry line rather than the four discrete spots in the OE batteries.

Members reporting imperfect engagement with the chassis of the drone should reject those batteries straight away, send them back by next post.

Which has me wondering if there's some cheapo outfit is pirating the powerextra brand: which would be in itself a little ironic...

So I'd suggest that my genuine Powerextra batteries is functionally identical to the OE ones, including self discharge. Mine are all set to drain out after 7 days.

DJI didn't give me any lipo charging/storage bags. Powerextra did. And it's a very solidly made item too, not like the junky thing I half-expected.

Given the above, and considering the hefty saving in cost I think my Powerextra battery was a good buy, and if I needed to replace one of the three I now have, it'd be one of those. The used DJI one bought as a gamble via eBay is indistinguishable from a brand new one in appearance and flight time/performance so it's been a fine buy too.

Using some of the savings from getting the Pro so cheaply I bought a hard shell case to store the stuff in, so now I have a three battery MavPro kit at a huge saving over the fly more version. Roughly £830 total. Sure I don't have the charging hub but those are just cake-icing. I get by just fine with the stock charger.

So I'd suggest that my genuine Powerextra batteries is functionally identical to the OE ones, including self discharge. Mine are all set to drain out after 7 days.

I guess if you suggest it... they are 100% identical in every way.

Truth is, you have _no_ idea what the insides of the battery is, what kind of quality control they have in place to prevent issues or how they will interact with the firmware/software that DJI puts out. There is the possibility that you will never have any issues and you will have saved about $100.

DJI didn't give me any lipo charging/storage bags. Powerextra did. And it's a very solidly made item too, not like the junky thing I half-expected.
So solid that there won't be any issues that would cause them to blow up? Our batteries are great..... but here is a lipo bag just in case they blow up.

Given the above, and considering the hefty saving in cost I think my Powerextra battery was a good buy, and if I needed to replace one of the three I now have, it'd be one of those.
I hope the battery is perfect in every way. It is each person's choice as to what batteries they use. However, buying an off brand is _always_ a crap shoot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore