DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pre-empting local regulations

MavicBob

Reactions
Hope this topic hasn't been discussed at length, and I just didn't see it...

I thought it may be useful to provide some basic info about drones and drone law to elected county and city leaders so they were better prepared to deal with any knee-jerk citizen demands for "drone laws".

To that end, I scheduled an information presentation to the Mayor and Council in the city where I and 35,000 other people live 25 minutes south of the Atlanta airport. The goal of educating them about drones, drone uses & capabilities, and current federal & state regulations is to head off local ordinances that would be un-necessarily burdensome to responsible pilots. Since most were quite unfamiliar with drones, I also sent requests to DJI for the loan of two of their drones and a pair of goggles as visual aids (still haven't heard from DJI). I didn't include any flight demos, but offered to meet with and allow any Council member to observe, then fly, my Mavic Pro.

During my pre-brief to the City Manager, he learned that his crew was operating their drone outside of some existing FAA rules. I kept the tone purely informative, without any condescending tones. My accompanying slides depicted the growth of drones, their many uses, and extracts from the Code of Federal Regulations that assign management of the national airspace solely to the FAA. I also highlighted the existing constraints that Part 107 pilots follow, such as mandatory line-of-sight observation.

The presentation was well-received, and the City Manager followed up with a request for a copy of the briefing (I included references for all facts, regulations, and Supreme Court decisions). He also alluded to using me as a local resource as issues arise.

It seemed like a win for our side - an effective way to build positive rapport with those empowered to control our lives. Anyone else doing this? What's your experience been?

Would be cool to have a standard template presentation that others could use to pitch the same argument to our city leaders.

Our city leaders recently passed a drone ordinance which, is effect, a mirror of the current FAA regs. A guy had a presentation showing a bunch of the regs however his was slanted to support an ordinance and he even included youtube videos of someone attaching a flame thrower and a pistol to the drone as a scare tactic. Their deal was that now local law enforcement could tackle some issues instead of trying to contact the nearest FAA. However, they did say that this ordinance would most likely be amended, which I took as adding more regulations. :/

This is the youtube video of our local airport's lawyer's presentation to city council. Would have been nice to be able to counter this presentation with one that did not support an ordinance.

I thought it may be useful to provide some basic info about drones and drone law to elected county and city leaders so they were better prepared to deal with any knee-jerk citizen demands for "drone laws".

To that end, I scheduled an information presentation to the Mayor and Council in the city where I and 35,000 other people live 25 minutes south of the Atlanta airport. The goal of educating them about drones, drone uses & capabilities, and current federal & state regulations is to head off local ordinances that would be un-necessarily burdensome to responsible pilots. Since most were quite unfamiliar with drones, I also sent requests to DJI for the loan of two of their drones and a pair of goggles as visual aids (still haven't heard from DJI). I didn't include any flight demos, but offered to meet with and allow any Council member to observe, then fly, my Mavic Pro.

During my pre-brief to the City Manager, he learned that his crew was operating their drone outside of some existing FAA rules. I kept the tone purely informative, without any condescending tones. My accompanying slides depicted the growth of drones, their many uses, and extracts from the Code of Federal Regulations that assign management of the national airspace solely to the FAA. I also highlighted the existing constraints that Part 107 pilots follow, such as mandatory line-of-sight observation.

The presentation was well-received, and the City Manager followed up with a request for a copy of the briefing (I included references for all facts, regulations, and Supreme Court decisions). He also alluded to using me as a local resource as issues arise.

It seemed like a win for our side - an effective way to build positive rapport with those empowered to control our lives. Anyone else doing this? What's your experience been?
Mavic bob- can you post your presentation, I was planning on doing the same thing here so that the city council is informed and not making local codes that can muddy the waters. I just moved recently from PTC, Georgia to Utah and would like to coordinate with you on the presentation. Please let me know, great info and approach.

Mavic bob- can you post your presentation, I was planning on doing the same thing here so that the city council is informed and not making local codes that can muddy the waters. I just moved recently from PTC, Georgia to Utah and would like to coordinate with you on the presentation. Please let me know, great info and approach.
email me at [email protected]

Update: Peachtree City recently hosted the MultiGP region 2A finals, and I invited the mayor to give welcoming remarks at the opening. She did, and was blown away with the energy, technology, and enthusiasm of the event. She was particularly excited to see the age of the pilots - one 14-year old was a team captain sponsored by a battery company.
It was the exact kind of education for elected officials we benefit from.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut