DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pre-flight checklist

Drony_Drone

Reactions
Is there a definitive pre-flight checklist? The manual one is very basic, doesn’t include the compass calibration, just recommendations when to calibrate.

Is there a document, list, app for MM that has everything included to check? How often do your calibrate compass? Every flight?

Thanks

Reactions: old man mavic
there are many posts about preflight check list on the forum use the search facility to find them
i will give you a list of things that are the most important before you take to the air to get you started
I1) make sure it is safe to fly at your location and note any high obstacles that may block your signal
(2) make sure your device ,controller ,and drone batteries are fully charged before you fly
(3)you should have checked at home before you went to the flying spot to see if there were any local by laws or airspace restrictions that would prevent you from flying
(4) before you take off look around to make sure there are no people or animals in close proximity to you
(5) and finally check that your drone is fit for purpose ie not damaged in any way that could cause it to fail

you will find that after a while flying a drone that 90% of what you are doing will become second nature to you
most of the stuff is common sense and you will be doing it without even realising it
most of the things can be done at home and once you have checked them off then you will know all is well
sometimes it is easy to overcomplicate things and get bogged down with lists and checks to the point where you will miss something special by the time you get in the air

you only need to do any calibration if the drone asks for it
compass calibration will be requested if there is metal in the ground you cannot see such as rebar in concrete or if you are close to metal like your vehicle
the IMU should not need to be calibrated after the initial calibration when the drone was first started up sometimes it will need to be done just to reset everything
one last thing if you do get a calibrate compass request ,before you go ahead and do it just move a few feet away and restart everything again as this can often fix the issue

Is there a definitive pre-flight checklist? The manual one is very basic, doesn’t include the compass calibration, just recommendations when to calibrate.

Is there a document, list, app for MM that has everything included to check? How often do your calibrate compass? Every flight?

Thanks

Try using the search tool in these forums. Most of your questions have been answered before, with comprehensive responses. It will save you time :)

Can you elaborate and help with your ideas?
what RickinWaST meant i believe it to practice taking over control of the drone in situations where the auto flight modes such as RTH or going into Atti mode from loss of sat lock happen so that you are confident to be able to recognise that you have an issue and can respond accordingly
you need to know how to react to get your drone safely to the ground and what steps to take to achieve that

I did and there is lots, I wondered if a definitive one, and also had extra questions which is why I posted.

Thanks

Nope, that's the challenge. The one and only "definitive" checklist is the DJI manual, which is sorely lacking detail. Many experience pilots have their own unique set of checklists, based on their location, experience, and general "gut feel" what to do before takeoff. IMHO, no matter what you add to your checklists, make sure to write them down, and use them for every flight.

Nope, that's the challenge. The one and only "definitive" checklist is the DJI manual, which is sorely lacking detail. Many experience pilots have their own unique set of checklists, based on their location, experience, and general "gut feel" what to do before takeoff. IMHO, no matter what you add to your checklists, make sure to write them down, and use them for every flight.

Agree, maybe definitive wrong word then, what about, collect everyone’s and put into one doc and then can be trimmed to what you personally want.

Stuff like the above about what to do in emergency is good info, but not a pre-flight but definitely to add on the end.

As you say I’ve read manual and it’s really really sparse for pre-flight

write these headings down,and then you have a starting point for your list
(1) location
(2) surroundings
(3) equipment
(4) weather
(5) any restrictions
only fly if you can tick all the boxes with an ok ,if not walk away and your drone will live to fly another day

Being that I am getting older every year.
I like a check list to help remind me of procedure that I may forget. I have a app on my tablet that has a Check list for.
1. Pre flight check list (at base)
2. Preflight Check list (in field)
3.Take off poocedure
4.After takeoff procedure.
5.After landing Checklist
6.Emergency procedure.
The app is called Drone fly Check list.
The preflight check list asks me to do visual check for cracks in hull. Make sure Checking battery, remote, ipad, for 100% charge. Making sure my SD card is Formatted and available. I have seen pilots on this forum that miss some of these checks. And, have issues, of one kind or another.
We all have to make choioces, and suffer the consiquences if we miss a importasnt step.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3