DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision landing with Mavic

mike55

Reactions
Hi everybody, another question from Roma.I have problem with RTH.Since a week my Mavic is not able to perform a precise landing on my ely-pad.i did the compass calibration, spend 20-30 seconds hovering over the pad, setting of course RTH precision landing.By the way i don’t know if it’s important but i put the pad on the snow.Very high contrast.Once activated the precision landing the drone miss the pad of about 1-1,5 mt.I know it’s a small error but till a week ago the landing was really on the spot.Any suggestion? Thanks for your help and best regards.Michele

There's no need to hover for 20-30 seconds.

Here are some helpful tips from the Mavic manual:

upload_2018-1-2_14-7-1.png

Reactions: mavin
Hi everybody, another question from Roma.I have problem with RTH.Since a week my Mavic is not able to perform a precise landing on my ely-pad.i did the compass calibration, spend 20-30 seconds hovering over the pad, setting of course RTH precision landing.By the way i don’t know if it’s important but i put the pad on the snow.Very high contrast.Once activated the precision landing the drone miss the pad of about 1-1,5 mt.I know it’s a small error but till a week ago the landing was really on the spot.Any suggestion? Thanks for your help and best regards.Michele
My advice is perform an IMU calibration. This will highly likely fix the issue.

Reactions: rfc
This is the key...Item "b" in post #2 above

Must take off straight up and ascend to 10M...this will allow for the Mavic to obtain "image" of the landing area.

I found the Mavic was a good 10-12 inches / 25-30 cms out from the take off point when I tested the landing pad... It landed on tehedge of the pad and almost snarled up the props into the grass... So for me, I'll stick to hand catching the Mavic unless I'm on flat concrete... that way it's always safe in my hand...

Ian

I am guessing the problem was the snow (item e from #2 above) and possibly dirty downward facing camera lenses. Just as facing bright light (sunset/rise) can fool the forward sensors, bright light (snow) can fool downward facing sensors. I think too much light just overwhelms the cameras. You can see if the snow is the problem by moving the takeoff/landing spot off the snow, make no other changes, and see if the landing improves.

You also need to be more than 20 meters away from your home point or it will just land where it is. RTH info can be found at: How to use DJI’s Return to Home (RTH) Safely

When taking off if you use precision take off your RTH should land within inches of the take off point however the wind can effect this from my personal experience.

My last test on a 10mph windy day.

Last edited:
Clear day, but admittedly sunny. Jump to 4:30 on the video

I was having the same issue as OP and found after performing the IMU and Compass calibrations several times in different locations that it still wasn't "presise", it was in the general area but sometimes would be a few inches off which i could live with since i have a big landing pad(110cm) but then sometimes it would be a few feet and i would have to take manual control to land to avoid the snow. But i was also occasionally getting random obstacle avoidance alarms flying high up the sky with no obstacles for miles and it was getting really annoying. So i got DJI assistant 2 on my pc and did the vision sensor calibration, very easy to do, but it did the 2 foward sensor cameras and the 2 bottom cameras but i flew only once since then : ( due to cold weather and when i returned to home, ready to take control like most of the time but it landed on a dime!!!! the exact same spot!!! well maybe like a mm or 2 off if you want to get "precise" lol but you get the picture. IDK if it was luck but to me it makes sense that calibration of the bottom cameras that it uses to take pictures upon take off fixed it. Sorry for writing a small book lol but i didnt want to leave anything out and hope this solves your issue!!! Let us know how it worked out if you would, im kind of curious if this is the reason.

edit: my landing pad was on top of snow on my last flight as well and clear sunny bright cold day with wind around 12-15mph and it landed perfect, i forgot to add that in lol

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme