DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision landings

ninja_geezer

Reactions
ok so im guessing im not the only one who finds the precision landing hit and miss.
when i first test flew the aircraft every return to home seemed to be spot on my landing mat.
since then im lucky if one in 5 are on the mat some are 7 or 8 feet away ,ive tried auto take off let hover and then up to 7 metres ,even sat there for 10 seconds but it never seems to be consistent ,has anyone found a trick to help with this,i always use a large orange or blue landing pad .
ive watched all the youtube videos as well.
i was out today and did 6 rth landings and only one was on the mat .the aircraft always lands facing the correct direction.i have calibrated the compass and the imu as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lionfish
The only time I used return to home was to see if it actually would return, it did & landed on my pad, I prefer to fly my drones home & land myself.
yes but i would like to use this feature as im a novice ,hence the reason i asked if other users had found the same as me ,

I see your point but as to being a novice learning to fly home & land yourself is a good skill to master.
I am sure others will be along to give there findings on the accuracy of RTH.
Great point no doubt will get to master this soon .I just wanted to make sure the drone was not at fault tbh .

Great point no doubt will get to master this soon .I just wanted to make sure the drone was not at fault tbh .
you should learn hand catching. it extends the lifespan of the motors and gimbal motors

Reactions: RS6_Pilot
yes seen a lot of that is it hard to learn
hand catching is fine but it does have its dangers ,those props will do a lot of damage if they come into contact with body parts
it does not have any direct influence on the life of the motors or gimbal, what the poster means ,because the mavic is very low to the ground ,it needs a clean flat place to take off and land
because it helps prevent dirt getting into the motors ,and the gimbal performing its start up dance
to this end most people use a portable landing /takeoff mat, or extensions on the existing landing gear only hand catch if you are really comfortable doing it ,
each of us have reasons why we do or dont hand catch ,i have to avoid such activity as i take a anticoagulant to help with my heart condition ,and if i was to be injured by the props i would be at risk from not being able to control the bleeding

hand catching is fine but it does have its dangers ,those props will do a lot of damage if they come into contact with body parts
it does not have any direct influence on the life of the motors or gimbal, what the poster means ,because the mavic is very low to the ground ,it needs a clean flat place to take off and land
because it helps prevent dirt getting into the motors ,and the gimbal performing its start up dance
to this end most people use a portable landing /takeoff mat, or extensions on the existing landing gear only hand catch if you are really comfortable doing it ,
each of us have reasons why we do or dont hand catch ,i have to avoid such activity as i take a anticoagulant to help with my heart condition ,and if i was to be injured by the props i would be at risk from not being able to control the bleeding
very sound advice.

yes seen a lot of that is it hard to learn
not super difficult, but harder than hand launch.

flat hand, fingertips just behind the gimbal cut out, slight tilt backwards when the drone makes contact, until prop stop.

thats the simplest i can explain it.

if it seems like too much, no sweat... the extensions are always an option, or bring a "foldable sun shade"... the kind that fold into a small circle... they provide a larger landing area, with not much larger of a folded footprint

I can hand launch and catch but prefer not to.

Instead I like to use my landing pad and gear extensions.

If you hover for a moment just after take off but a couple of feet higher, I've heard the sensors get a better idea of where it came from. I've never used RTH and landed more than a foot off the pad.

Of course, there are many other factors I'm sure like compass calibration, number at SATS, contrast of take off point.

If you follow the correct takeoff procedure the precision landing will be within 3 inches of the takeoff point. The procedure is in the user's manual. One on the key elements is you must ascend 25 feet (7 meters in the manual) straight up with no horizontal control inputs. The MA2 will take visual images of the takeoff point while ascending and land at that point using the takeoff images (returning to the approximate location using GPS). If you don't follow the procedure, MA2 will land using the takeoff GPS position which has an accuracy of no better than 10 feet.

If you follow the correct takeoff procedure the precision landing will be within 3 inches of the takeoff point. The procedure is in the user's manual. One on the key elements is you must ascend 25 feet (7 meters in the manual) straight up with no horizontal control inputs. The MA2 will take visual images of the takeoff point while ascending and land at that point using the takeoff images (returning to the approximate location using GPS). If you don't follow the procedure, MA2 will land using the takeoff GPS position which has an accuracy of no better than 10 feet.
Also, adding to this...

Try using a high contrast take-off/landing pad.

If I didn't hand launch and land every time, I would buy a white tri-fold poster board (think science fair style), and paint a black "X" on it.

I didnt know about the 25 feet thing but it makes sense... i have hit or miss with it so will give that a shot

As far as hand launching or hand landing it just really depends on where you are whats going on in my opinion i find pros and cons to both hand or ground launching/landing.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
very sound advice.

not super difficult, but harder than hand launch.

flat hand, fingertips just behind the gimbal cut out, slight tilt backwards when the drone makes contact, until prop stop.

thats the simplest i can explain it.

if it seems like too much, no sweat... the extensions are always an option, or bring a "foldable sun shade"... the kind that fold into a small circle... they provide a larger landing area, with not much larger of a folded footprint
i have the large pop out landing mat i think i will stick with that ,its safer for my skin lol....

Also, adding to this...

Try using a high contrast take-off/landing pad.

If I didn't hand launch and land every time, I would buy a white tri-fold poster board (think science fair style), and paint a black "X" on it.
Got a bright orange / bright blue pad always use it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3