DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Preferred speed for waypoint missions?

Yuvi

Reactions
Hey guys,

I’ve been reading around and learning a lot. But recording video on pre-planned waypoint missions I have realized that I’m not always happy with my cruising speed. I do a lot of pre-planned missions in order to optimize time and battery power.

So my question being. Do you guys have figured out the sweet spot in cruising speed for recording at different altitudes and distance from what’s being recorded?

Would love to hear your insights!

Cheers

This is roughly what I've found works good for me, adjust to meet your exact needs and what look you're going for:
Under 100ft AGL = 10mph or less
200ft AGL = 15mph
400ft AGL = 25mph

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
... recording video on pre-planned waypoint missions I have realized that I’m not always happy with my cruising speed ... Do you guys have figured out the sweet spot in cruising speed for recording at different altitudes and distance from what’s being recorded?
While I eventually gave up using Waypoints because there are so many limitations in editing (I posted about this a month ago), before I went back to manual flying, I recorded the following video for our HOA.

I used the maximum flight speed for all waypoints, and even this was not fast enough (another reason that I quit using waypoints). Here's the result of my final waypoint mission:

Despite using "arc" you'll still see glitches at the nine waypoints. Also, the altitude above ground was not what I wanted at each point, but I couldn't edit the waypoints since some of them were below my takeoff altitude and you can't edit those.

Were you using Litchi, or Go4? In either event, speed and distance between waypoints depends on what you are trying to accomplish in your flight purpose/ mission ..Video, still, of what subject, desired resoloution...etc, etc.

I use GSP,
Most if my commercial work is between 300’ and 350’
The “Sweet Spot” speed for my work is around 30 MPH.
I fine tune the apparent speed during the editing process.

Nicely done. I thought the speed was about right with the distance from drone to subject. Did not get the feel my eyes could not keep up with the houses as they passed by.

From a piloting prospective I did feel blind because it was filming sideways to the flight path. You know how trees reach up and snatch our drones right out of the air.

Enjoyed it

I use GSP,
Most if my commercial work is between 300’ and 350’
The “Sweet Spot” speed for my work is around 30 MPH.
I fine tune the apparent speed during the editing process.

You typed GSP, did you mean GPS? Can't find anything on GSP.

With the software you used to generate the waypoints, did it have the ability to provide the ground elevation? Curious how it appears that you fly constant altitude above the ground the whole mission right up the incline of the hill?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji