DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Preflight procedure list for flying indoors?

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
I'm Part 107 certified. I was wearing a Part 107 tee shirt while playing Pickleball in a large indoor facility. The Picklbeall Pro asked me to make a video for their Web Site. This would be gratis. I'm a confident pilot but have not flown indoors. I've read dozens of threads on flying indoors. There's good suggestions but much of it conflicting.* The best suggestions I've gleaned come from the respected msinger. These are:
1. Set RTH to hover
2. Turn off downward sensors
3. Use prop grads to minimize potential human and drone damage

* For example, attitude vs. Sport vs. Tripod mode

Looking for any realistic tried and true things to add to 1, 2, and 3?

set RTH to hover ? is there such a setting ?

turn off downward sensors ? then the craft will be in ATTI mode. You will found yourself busy keeping the craft in position instead of framing pictures / video.

use of prop guards is a good advice

use vision mode, tripod, cinematic, active track, point of interest .... modes as needed but never sport mode

turn on collision avoidance but don't rely fully on it.

practice, practice, practice

Reactions: charliej
personally i would not bother,there are to many variables to consider ,liability if it all goes wrong ,your drone, the outcome of any damage that your drone may inflict all these things need to be considered ,sounds more like a part 107 job to me but you already know that good luck

Some of this may not be applicable to the Mavic model you are flying, but for the Mavic Pro:
1. Set RTH to hover - YES
2. Turn off downward sensors - YES/NO. Depending on conditions, the downward sensors may keep the Mavic from drifting but it may also make it rise unexpectedly if you fly too close to something underneath it.
3. Use prop guards to minimize potential human and drone damage - YES, I would not fly indoors without them.
4. Tripod mode - Safer and will give a more cinematic result
5. Stay at least a foot away from the ceiling or it might suck itself up to it.
6. Because of blocked GPS signals, it will be in Atti mode. Watch closely because it may drift and will not stop automatically when releasing the sticks.
7. If possible, be behind the drone so your Mavic movements will match your left/right stick movements. This also keeps the operator out of the shot.
8. Keep away from anything that can get blown around by your prop wash.
9. Anti-collision sensors may stop you from flying through a doorway or other tight spot.
10. For lower elevation shots, you can take off the props, fold it up, and use you Mavic as a hand-held gimbal-stabilized camera.
11. Check your white-balance setting.

More specific information may be offered if we knew what model you are flying.

Worth consideration is who covers damage from an accident. It would be better if they know up front that flying indoors increases the risk factor and would agree to cover costs. Most likely, the only damage would be your Mavic and it would be awkward to ask them to pay for your flying mistake after the event if they were not prepared for it.

Reactions: old man mavic
More specific information may be offered if we knew what model you are flying.

Worth consideration is who covers damage from an accident. It would be better if they know up front that flying indoors increases the risk factor and would agree to cover costs. Most likely, the only damage would be your Mavic and it would be awkward to ask them to pay for your flying mistake after the event if they were not prepared for it.
It's a Mavic 2 Pro. I would not do this without signed releases from participants and the owner of the facility. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have read (on this forum) of multiple cases of folks flying the M2 indoors and having issues when the GPS signal goes in and out and resulting in some very erratic flight behavior. I think it was when they would get close to a window and suddenly gain enough satellites to achieve GPS lock. Has anyone experienced this lately? Since this info was from more than a year ago I was wondering if this was improved via firmware?

I have been practising flying inside my farm shed and the Mavic 2 Pro is amazing, even without the GPS signal it is rock steady and a piece of cake to fly around within 1 meter of the structure. I used the DJI prop guards which offer side protection and I am designing a top guard to prevent any prop strike from above.

@Marty Markoe, it sounds like you have everything covered. If you're comfortable controlling your drone outdoors, flying in a large open facility should be an easy task for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest