DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Preflight your battery - make sure it's latched in

Former Member

Reactions
I have spent many hours researching the mysterious occurrences of Mavics falling from the sky and have come to one possible conclusion. The owner had not properly latched the battery into place, causing the battery to pop out during flight and cause the Mavic to drop. This is not a manufacturing defect, it is an owner induced accident.

Before you fly, seat the battery, lock it in, unlock it, and seat it again pushing firmly to make sure both latches are locked on the sides, and it is flush with the rest of the body. If it is protruding at any point, take it out and lock it in again..

Those that are new to drones need to pay special attention to this because if you dont make sure the battery is locked in, you run the risk of a crash.

One of the first post I read upon joining this forum was exactly what you are referring to.
I use to carpet race rc cars that were extremely fast and I learned the importance of double checking and proper fasting of batteries to avoid preventable mishaps.
I have noticed that the battery may not lock in with the Mavic if you are loading incorrectly. I always extend the legs and place the batterie in rear end first then grasp the battery and the underside of the Mavic body and snap it in place. Then I hold the Mavic by the sides of the battery and give it a gentle shake.
Great post Thunder !

Reactions: Former Member
One of the first post I read upon joining this forum was exactly what you are referring to.
I use to carpet race rc cars that were extremely fast and I learned the importance of double checking and proper fasting of batteries to avoid preventable mishaps.
I have noticed that the battery may not lock in with the Mavic if you are loading incorrectly. I always extend the legs and place the batterie in rear end first then grasp the battery and the underside of the Mavic body and snap it in place. Then I hold the Mavic by the sides of the battery and give it a gentle shake.
Great post Thunder !

Thanks for that. I follow pretty much the same procedure you do, loc it in, check it again. Yes in RC cars, such as Traxxas, the battery covers also need to be properly latched or the batteries will pop out. Carpet racing was even worse because of the G forces the car goes through in turns. Mavics dont do as abrupt maneuvers as RC cars, but they do bounce around alot on windy days, and that could unseat a battery if not properly installed.

I think this is going to happen more often if you are flying multiple flights and multiple packs. If its hot, or if its really cold, the operator is gonna make more mistakes. Also, if the operator is in a rush to get off the ground, it can happen more often.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000