DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

President and his pesky TFR's

PWIdmayer

Reactions
Well unfortunately it looks like my drone practice will be dominated by TFR's. I live in southeast PA and President Biden likes to visit his home in Delaware. The ridiculous TFR covers most of Chester County and Lancaster County and all of Delaware County. They just happen to be my area of operation. So inconvenient.

Reactions: tlswift58
Well unfortunately it looks like my drone practice will be dominated by TFR's. I live in southeast PA and President Biden likes to visit his home in Delaware. The ridiculous TFR covers most of Chester County and Lancaster County and all of Delaware County. They just happen to be my area of operation. So inconvenient.
Posting this I saw that President Trump had the same effect on fellow pilots in FLA. The scope of these TFR's seem very excessive. Maybe its just me.

At first I didn't know why the heck I was suddenly in a 3 day long TFR for the 3rd time. Then I remembered how the Pres likes to come home a lot. And yeah, centering on New Castle Airport but extending almost all the way to Bucks County seems a bit ridiculous. It looks like I'll have to plan on flying only during the week from here on out. Or find a drone that doesn't have geofencing. I don't want to break the law but also don't see how any of my Mavics in Delaware County could pose a security issue in Delaware State. Even pretending the added weight(s) and range limitations weren't issues I couldn't fly that distance launching my Mini off the back of the mini2 off the back of my MA2.

I was able to request authorization through the flysafe site and it let me take off. Don't know if it was legal or not, but I was able to fly around my yard without any fighter jets coming after me.

I'm inside the 30 mile radius, but outside the 12-mile. Might be different inside the 12-mile radius.

They do seem excessive, specially since I think they would apply to when he's coming in and leaving, but it seems like they can stick around longer than that..

Ok gang... let's get a few things out of the way up front...

• A) These TFR's are for more than "just" our UAS. Think BIG PICTURE!! They are being placed to protect the President of the United States of America. It's not small deal.
  • B) Getting approval to fly from FlySafe only means your aircraft will (illegally) engage and fly. You are violating FEDEERAL Regulations by flying at all unless you have explicit approval from the Entity Requesting the TFR (DOD or CIA etc).
  • C) For those who think their "Mavic" should not be restricted in the TFR's please explain to me at what level aircraft you think should be restricted and why?

Let me get this straight... There is a TFR in place to tell the bad guys that our President is in the air.
What is wrong with this picture?

Ok gang... let's get a few things out of the way up front...

• A) These TFR's are for more than "just" our UAS. Think BIG PICTURE!! They are being placed to protect the President of the United States of America. It's not small deal.
  • B) Getting approval to fly from FlySafe only means your aircraft will (illegally) engage and fly. You are violating FEDEERAL Regulations by flying at all unless you have explicit approval from the Entity Requesting the TFR (DOD or CIA etc).
  • C) For those who think their "Mavic" should not be restricted in the TFR's please explain to me at what level aircraft you think should be restricted and why?
If I'm flying around my yard at 20 ft AGL, I'm not endangering the President. I'll take my chances that the fighter jets aren't going to scramble and shoot down my drone, and the Secret Service isn't going to knock down my door and drag me off in handcuffs.

I'll bet you never drive over the speed limit, and always come to a complete stop at stop signs, don't you?

• Sad
Reactions: BigAl07
Let me get this straight... There is a TFR in place to tell the bad guys that our President is in the air.
What is wrong with this picture?

No there is a TFR in place to protect our President from ANY threats in the air. This TFR gives the appropriate agencies time to intercept or neutralize a threat from the air.

I don't know the answer but to think that someone could attack the president with a 250g drone from 30 miles out is absurd.

If I'm flying around my yard at 20 ft AGL, I'm not endangering the President. I'll take my chances that the fighter jets aren't going to scramble and shoot down my drone, and the Secret Service isn't going to knock down my door and drag me off in handcuffs.

I'll bet you never drive over the speed limit, and always come to a complete stop at stop signs, don't you?

What happens if your UAS goes into RTH? Do you also have that set to 20' AGL?

I wouldn't worry about the Fighter Jets but you might get a visit from from black SUV's if you pop up on their radar.

I don't speed and I am VERY diligent about following the laws but apparently that's not "cool" to some.

I don't know the answer but to think that someone could attack the president with a 250g drone from 30 miles out is absurd.
Go to post #7 and please help define what the Cut-Off for UAS restrictions should be. Keep in mind this is a Much bigger than just "Mavic Mini" conversation as that's not the only UAS being affected by VIP TFRs.

For years the industry has been complaining wanting the FREEDOM to fly in the NAS. In ~2012 Congress mandated UAS are indeed airplanes allowing (potentially) easier integration into the NAS. Now we are upset because we are being held to the same rules as manned aircraft etc.

Go to post #7 and please help define what the Cut-Off for UAS restrictions should be. Keep in mind this is a Much bigger than just "Mavic Mini" conversation as that's not the only UAS being affected by VIP TFRs.

For years the industry has been complaining wanting the FREEDOM to fly in the NAS. In ~2012 Congress mandated UAS are indeed airplanes allowing (potentially) easier integration into the NAS. Now we are upset because we are being held to the same rules as manned aircraft etc.
I guess you missed the part where I said "I don't know the answer".

Not absurd at all .... Did they ever think it was possible to steal 3 jet airliners, put one into the pentagon (missile) and two into the WTC ? In todays world I dont think anything is absurd or not possible when it comes to criminal acts.

I think 30 miles is a bit much but - they have their reasons. .

Does the flight restriction have to remain in place when he's on the ground and not going anywhere for hours or hours before he arrives? Its not like its a total surprise where he travels or when he comes and goes and exactly how much is done out of the ordinary when he arrives other than his route from Plane to destination and back..

Yeah, I get he's the president, and they apply extraordinary security, but things can be over done, and there is no such thing as a 100% safe no matter what you do.

Does the flight restriction have to remain in place when he's on the ground and not going anywhere for hours or hours before he arrives? Its not like its a total surprise where he travels or when he comes and goes and exactly how much is done out of the ordinary when he arrives other than his route from Plane to destination and back..

Yeah, I get he's the president, and they apply extraordinary security, but things can be over done, and there is no such thing as a 100% safe no matter what you do.
Probably to prevent even more confusion.

Reactions: BigAl07
I was able to request authorization through the flysafe site and it let me take off. Don't know if it was legal or not, but I was able to fly around my yard without any fighter jets coming after me.

I'm inside the 30 mile radius, but outside the 12-mile. Might be different inside the 12-mile radius.

In the DJI Geo system, TFRs are blue authorization zones that can be self-unlocked. But it is absolutely not legal to fly in them, unless you have direct authorization from the controlling/requesting agency.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada