Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Private Propery Drone Policies?

Severian

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
To what extent are private businesses, parks, gardens, etc. allowed to restrict the airspace above their property? In St. Louis the Missouri Botanical Gardens has this notice under their "Photo Policy":

Drone photography is treated as commercial photography and requires an application and payment. It is prohibited on Garden grounds unless arranged with the Communications Division.

Are they talking about very low level flights or are they restricting all drone activity over their property? And can they do that?

Key words. “Garden grounds” and “treated as commercial“
They’re not describing air space. And they certainly aren’t the authority on who decides the extent of your recreational hobbies and when they cross over to a commercial application. Either way, they have no jurisdiction above their property.
Any decent attorney would have a good laugh at this one.

Key words. “Garden grounds” and “treated as commercial“
They’re not describing air space. And they certainly aren’t the authority on who decides the extent of your recreational hobbies and when they cross over to a commercial application. Either way, they have no jurisdiction above their property.
Any decent attorney would have a good laugh at this one.
Have to agree with this one. Even a bad attorney could mop the floor with them on this one. The only thing I think they could get people on is they could restrict the launching and retrieval of a drone on their property. Once it’s in the air they have no legal say.

Actually, the way that sign is worded it would seem to me to constitute extortion. I think a first amendment lawyer could really raise some hell with it.

Unless there is a client with a very large pocket stuffed full of cash willing to sign on the dotted line, the attorney will just chuckle and walk away. Pro Bono is few and far between.

Reactions: GrayHornet
Unless there is a client with a very large pocket stuffed full of cash willing to sign on the dotted line, the attorney will just chuckle and walk away. Pro Bono is few and far between.
Exactly, the whole point behind the sign. They know they have little if any legal ground to stand on. It is the implied threat that they will take you to court. They don’t care. Most likely have more than one lawyer that will drag it around in the courts to make it as expensive as possible to fight. It would only take one case though to put an end to it. Not to mention the several hundred thou or more you could collect for infringing on first amendment rights and extortion but then I am not a lawyer.

The only thing I think they could get people on is they could restrict the launching and retrieval of a drone on their property. Once it’s in the air they have no legal say.

That would apply to launching, landing, AND during the whole flight of course.
You couldn't launch, then walk through the property, walk it back out and land.
You'd have to stick with all other FAA rules too with regards to flight over people, VLOS, etc.

Basically (one FAA rule example) if you launched from a road legally, and couldn't do the flight with VLOS unless you walked it through (breaking city rules), then technically you'd be violating the FAA VLOS rule.
If that was being monitored / recorded by the city, they could possibly report it.

Just have to launch from a legal place off the property, where you can't get into any trouble with any authority.
Not sure if in some places this could also mean footpaths, which fall under local city (local councils here in Oz) authority.

unless you go in pro se, writing the filing isn't that hard, there are all sorts of cases out there already to copy from.

Reactions: ATW
Notice that the policy in question doesn't mention drone flight. It only attempts to regulate drone photography.

The FAA regulations don't mention photography, but only regulate flight.

There is a body of intellectual property law regarding photography of privately owned works, and the publication and use of those photos. While I believe the FAA rules allow one to fly over private property, I'm less certain about your right to photograph privately owned creative works. And the publication or distribution of photos/videos may have some more difficulties.

Notice that the policy in question doesn't mention drone flight. It only attempts to regulate drone photography.

The FAA regulations don't mention photography, but only regulate flight.

There is a body of intellectual property law regarding photography of privately owned works, and the publication and use of those photos. While I believe the FAA rules allow one to fly over private property, I'm less certain about your right to photograph privately owned creative works. And the publication or distribution of photos/videos may have some more difficulties.
Think they would run into problems with the photography of privately owned works part since they single out drone photography. If they had a problem with photos or video recording the sign would have to read all photo and video recording is considered commercial. Not too sure that what is essentially a community garden club would fall under privately owned work of art.

To what extent are private businesses, parks, gardens, etc. allowed to restrict the airspace above their property? In St. Louis the Missouri Botanical Gardens has this notice under their "Photo Policy":

Are they talking about very low level flights or are they restricting all drone activity over their property? And can they do that?
There are a lot of parks in the united states that do that.

I know of 9 here in and around Indianapolis, Indiana.

if you want to fly there, just request permission from the property manager, and if a fee is request, work out something with the manager. I have done this on several occasions here in Indiana and in other states.

As a private land owner, they reserve the right to prohibit takeoff and landing on their property. However, overflight is not controlled by the MBG, just as with the NPS. Other rules in and around the city may be in effect as well.
As mentioned by others, check with the property owners first!

Not too sure that what is essentially a community garden club would fall under privately owned work of art.
It's a formal garden, like a zoo but with professionally maintained plants, sculpture and landscaping instead of animals.

If you look at their website, they currently have drone video of the origami sculptures being displayed.

They CAN legally control what happens ON their property 100%. They have ZERO control over the air but are well within their rights to restrict or allow via permit anything that happens ON their property.

First, drone photography is not commercial photography unless you are working with a 107 license and being paid. Second, you can photograph anything that's in (public view), that includes aerial photography. If you couldn't the news media would be full of law suits.

I think there are few overlapping concerns here and the 'drone photography' is just a shorthand.

1. Public works of art (sculptures, etc) are absolutely covered under copyright law; I would assume garden design could arguably be as well. Architecture isn't, but the org very likely has a valid claim not to allow 'commercial use' A/V of the works on their property, regardless of the device used to capture it or where that device is in space. Many cultural heritage sites across the world similarly don't have a huge problems with iPhone photos, but once the full frame DSLR and tripods come out the org's assumption is 'you are doing commercial work'. Some orgs are of course more strict. you can't take a photo of the ceiling of the sistine chapel with your phone without getting yelled at because of the Vatican's agreement with, Nippon TV. You could of course try to argue that you are only using your footage for fair use/educational purposes, or if you are an artist or social-commentator yourself you could argue maybe you are planning on significantly altering the footage to make a derivative work for satire or otherwise notable public comment, but for all that trouble you might as well just talk to them and put in the application.
2. As with tripods and other possibly large commercial setups/rigs, they are concerned about the possibility of an uninsured device falling out of the sky and striking a patron who in turn sues them, not you. Page 3 of their policy speaks directly to this in the broader context of commercial use.

They probably could care less if you fly over at max altitude in passing, but you should contact them with your particulars.

That does sound like good news for many. There are many photos/videos that are just waiting to be made. As long one does not use a drone for aerial by launching from within the property limits.

Reactions: Darth Kahn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji