DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro? Really???

Montana_Flyer

Reactions
I am amazed that DJI is pawning off this new "generation" as a pro entry. Last I checked, a professional camera has interchangeable lenses. Does this? All I see here is an attempt to make a bold division line between DJI's self determined definition of "consumer" and "pro" lines of drones. Who would spend $5k for a "pro" camera that has a (or two) fixed lenses? Am I not seeing something?? What am I missing?

Why not spend less bucks and get an XDynamics Evolve 2 with an interchangeable lens AND an Air2S? I must be overlooking something here.

Also, ProRes is not intended for this camera/lens, not to mention the marketed audience....

Someone please help me understand.....

</SS>

Why not spend less bucks and get an XDynamics Evolve 2 with an interchangeable lens AND an Air2S? I must be overlooking something here.
The Mavic 3 is everything that the average and even many pro consumers will need.... the zoom camera has great potential for inspections, the flight time will save you time getting the footage needed and the new 4/3 camera will capture video that in the right hands will be stunning.

Add in the potential of the 4G dongle, the new wide angle snap on lens, obstacle avoidance and tracking nearing the level of the Skydio, plus incredible range and transmission quality, make this a winner.

Professionals use the tools at hand to turn their output into gold. They work with the strengths and weaknesses of their equipment and use it to their best advantage. Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro footage has been used on many television productions over the last couple of years because they do 4K 30fps, are portable and easy to work with despite not having large cameras. The Mavic 3 will be used in similar fashion and opens up even more possibilities for the filmmaker.

The XDynamics Evolve 2 shows great promise and is billed as a professional piece of gear but was released prematurely so it has some distance to go before it will work to its potential. Reviews are showing a couple of second lag time between its controller and the drone. This can mean slamming into people, buildings and generally having to retake footage that should be routine. Until that is fixed, it can't be considered in a professional environment. The ability to use off the shelf interchangeable lenses will open up what it can do... but at least for now the Evolve 2 can only really be considered for photography, and aerial video up high and away from doing harm.

Putting a 4/3 sensor in the air for $2200 is more than enough reason to get this

This is MOST definitely a pro level drone. Just because it doesn’t meet your definition doesn’t mean you’re right.

My post was extremely dark, sorry for the lack of optimism that many others have.

I am just frustrated that DJI has put this consumer level drone (yes, IMHO it is still a (pro)(con)sumer device until the payload can be swapped out) beyond the reach of so many. I'm thankful that I have held on to my M2P, so I'll just continue to use that until Autel releases its Evo3, then make my decision for M2P upgrade (if I'll need to at all). For a comparison, I see this as a "bridge" drone, analogous to the bridge camera's relationship to DSLR.

The XDynamics Evolve 2 shows great promise and is billed as a professional piece of gear but was released prematurely so it has some distance to go before it will work to its potential.

It looks as if XDynamics isn't the only company to prematurely release a product? Many of the features touted on the M3 are vaporware waiting for 2022. Time will tell if APAS 5 comes even close to Skydio's capabilities (I'm especially NOT optimistic there). It makes me wonder why DJI was so desperate to release before the product was completed?

In the end we are paying for a better camera (no ProRes mind you unless you pay the MUCH bigger bucks), longer flight time, and improved obstacle avoidance. These are all features that you would have expected to evolve anyway over the typical 2 year lifecycle of the Mavic series (that took 3 years likely because of Covid).

I just expected a more competitive response from DJI while patiently waiting that year for the M3.

I have a pair of Air 2S drones that make up the bulk of my workflow so I have been paying close attention to the few video comparisons that have already surfaced. My Air 2S holds up great in well lit situations but the 4/3 camera on the Mavic 3 brings out lots more detail and brightens the footage in low light.... I won't be in front of the line to buy the Mavic 3 but it is in my future.

I will also be paying attention to the XDynamics Evolve 2 to see if they can make it as good as advertised but it faces an uphill battle. Compared to the Mavic 3 it will be much less portable, have shorter flight time, range, and rudimentary obstacle avoidance. As a small company how they handle support for broken drones will be key, as well as how they deal with software and hardware problems as they arise. The large format camera and interchangeable lenses are attractive but will be useless if we can't keep it flying.

Yes the Mavic 3 is missing a few of its touted features but two second lag even at close range on the Evolve is really a deal breaker until its fixed.

Seems like it will be a perfect fit for professionals and explorers that do work for clients like National Geopraphic in extreme long term projects in remote areas. Not perfect however, light and high quality. ( better then lugging a Inspire 2 with X7S and all the gear around)

I use my Mavic 2 Enterprise the most of my drones because quality is good and it is up and running in 1 minute with the self contained controller.

I would be willing to pay the price for an M3 IF; it had interchangeable cameras/lenses, an option for a mechanical shutter, and could support dual controllers, one for the pilot and one for the photographer, al la the Inspire 1 or 2.
The “long” lens is disappointing in that the sensor is tiny, relative to the 4/3 sensor on the main camera. The angle iof view is 84 degrees, very wide. If you put a wide angle adapter on that, I don’t know what that really gets you. ?
IMHO, they missed the mark. I will happily be flying my M2.

I would be willing to pay the price for an M3 IF; it had interchangeable cameras/lenses, an option for a mechanical shutter, and could support dual controllers, one for the pilot and one for the photographer, al la the Inspire 1 or 2.
Then buy an Inspire 2.

Why do people want a $10k drone for $2200?

This blows my mind.
The “long” lens is disappointing in that the sensor is tiny, relative to the 4/3 sensor on the main camera. The angle iof view is 84 degrees, very wide. If you put a wide angle adapter on that, I don’t know what that really gets you. ?
IMHO, they missed the mark. I will happily be flying my M2.

Last edited:
So they can have the Smart Controller, 1TB SSD, and ProRes. SC alone is $1200.
I'm afraid that you are wasting your time. This and other threads are full of people whining about the M3, with no clue about what it is for or why it is better, and wanting it for a fraction of the price. And just like every previous release, they are confident that it spells the end of DJI and that everyone will soon be buying Autel, or Skydio or whatever recently announced vaporware they have heard about.

</SS>
I never understand these threads. You either want it, or you don’t. Why does it matter what other people think?

I'm afraid that you are wasting your time. This and other threads are full of people whining about the M3, with no clue about what it is for or why it is better, and wanting it for a fraction of the price. And just like every previous release, they are confident that it spells the end of DJI and that everyone will soon be buying Autel, or Skydio or whatever recently announced vaporware they have heard about.
My feelings exactly! 💯 You said it much better than I could, and it needed to be said. And I agree wholeheartedly with Vic Moss‘s comment, “Why do people want a $10k drone for $2200?” You nailed it, Vic 💯. Unfortunately, it all probably landed on deaf ears. Still, it’s all good. Montana got his chance to stand on his soapbox and speak his mind — that’s good — and the really knowledgeable folks in this forum got their chance to apply critical thinking with their responses. Always fly safe and happy flying!

There are plenty of used Inspire 2 setups available for around ~$3k. What you’re getting here is convenience. Hurking an I2 around is a pita

I am amazed that DJI is pawning off this new "generation" as a pro entry. Last I checked, a professional camera has interchangeable lenses. Does this? All I see here is an attempt to make a bold division line between DJI's self determined definition of "consumer" and "pro" lines of drones. Who would spend $5k for a "pro" camera that has a (or two) fixed lenses? Am I not seeing something?? What am I missing?

Also, ProRes is not intended for this camera/lens, not to mention the marketed audience....

</SS>
I wasn't aware of the Evolve 2 until know, but as I learned more about it, the Evolve 2 competes with Inspire has 4/3 sensor and removable gimbal and interchangeable lenses. Their Ground Station comes, as I understand it, with two high quality displays. $3700. Wow. For less money we can get into REAL entry level professional gear. Of course XDynamics doesn't have the reputation and following of DJI, but there certainly is a door open their if their drone can hold up to scrutiny. I hope to learn more about it in the coming days.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000