DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro Tip: Embed Contact information within Micro SD card (Contact Generator Program Added)

BD0G

Reactions
Worried about loosing your Mavic?
If someone finds your lost Mavic what can be done to help them contact you and return it?

Have you already placed labels with your FAA Registration number and phone number on your Mavic to help protect your precious investment?

Thats a great start!

Here is a helpful tip that can potentially allow the person that found it return it to its rightful owner.

Load your Micro SD card or cards up in you card reader and access the folder structure.
There will be 2 default Folders already created if you have used the Mavic to shoot any photo's or video in the past

They are DCIM and MISC

Leave those alone and add 2 additional folders.

Add one that states your phone number and the other states your FAA registration number
There are 2 reasons I choose to create folders to present this information instead of a simple text file.

1. Not relying on the person that found the Mavic searching around looking for a text file. That could be missed.
2. Folder names cant be missed when searching the Micro SD card using a computer and they accept all kinds of alphanumeric characters as well as symbols within thier names.

Its something everyone should do!

What my Micro SD card folder structures look like (of course phone number information and FAA Registration number removed in this example to protect the innocent)
I use the underscores at the beginning of the file names so that they will be indexed and placed at the top of the folder listing.
1546113907353.png

Update:

I have added a downloadable program that will prompt one to enter the drive letter of thier Micro SD card , phone number , and FAA Registration number to automate the process of creating these directory entries. One will need to extract the Executable file from the zipped archive.

It can be downloaded freely from this link
Mavic SD Card Contact Generator

Please like this thread posting if you find it helpful and informative! Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Great Post!

Just added my contact details to a folder and txt file as you directed. No need for registration here in the UK (YET)!

Thank you

Reactions: BD0G
If someone finds your lost Mavic what can be done to help them contact you and return it?

Have you already placed labels with your FAA Registration number and phone number on your Mavic to help protect your precious investment?

Thats a great start!

Here is a helpful tip that can potentially allow the person that found it return it to its rightful owner.

Load your Micro SD card or cards up in you card reader and access the folder structure.
There will be 2 default Folders already created if you have used the Mavic to shoot any photo's or video in the past

They are DCIM and MISC

Add one that states your phone number and the other states your FAA registration number
There are 2 reasons I choose to create folders to present this information instead of a simple text file.

1. Not relying on the person that found the Mavic searching around looking for a text file. That could be missed.
2. Folder names cant be missed when searching the Micro SD card using a computer and they accept all kinds of alphanumeric characters as well as symbols within thier names.

What my Micro SD card folder structures look like (of course phone number information and FAA Registration number removed in this example to protect the innocent)
I use the underscores at the beginning of the file names so that they will be indexed and placed at the top of the folder listing.
View attachment 57155

Please like this thread posting if you find it helpful and informative! Thumbswayup
Excellent idea - However, remember that those folders will be erased when you do a format of the SD card from Go 4, or in your PC. Keep a copy of these folders on your PC so that you can copy them back in when you have that 'Oh darn!' moment after you do the re-format.

Excellent idea - However, remember that those folders will be erased when you do a format of the SD card from Go 4, or in your PC. Keep a copy of these folders on your PC so that you can copy them back in when you have that 'Oh darn!' moment after you do the re-format.
I was going to mention this fact as well , but figured people would realize that a full format is a FULL FORMAT! :)

I was going to mention this fact as well , but figured people would realize that a full format is a FULL FORMAT! :)
They usually do, but in most cases, AFTER the event ... :eek:

Reactions: Pietros and WAXMAN

Thats a great start!

They are DCIM and MISC

View attachment 57155

y good idea, Thanks

Awesome tip. Me being a newbie with a Mavic Air I have been reading a lot and taking heed to tips and suggestions and I must say this tip along with labeling your drone are at the top of the list in protecting your investment. Of course safety is right up there along with rules. They are there to keep everyone safe and keep the hobby/business fun for all.
Thank you all. Really appreciate this community and everyone’s willing to post and share with us all.

Its easy and quick extra information that just might help have a lost drone returned. It depends on the unknown "human factor"

Great tip!
Well - in Denmark we already have to register drones over 250 grams (since 2017) AND a sticker on the outside of the aircraft containing:
Full name, Phone no, AIR req no (we get the same ones as air planes) and insurance company/policy no.
Failing to have this info on the craft results in a fine. So I don't really don't have to worry - it will find it's way back to me :-D
My guess is that, that kind of registration will also come in new drone laws in other countries? So you might as well print out a sticker now?

Great idea. I had printed that info using a cheap label maker and put my telephone number on one side of the drone and the FAA license on the other side. So far they show no wear or evidence of wanting to come off. But for the sake of redundancy, I just added the info to the memory card also.

Last edited:
I often format my SD card before each flight. So that will not last too long for me. However, since I never use the MP2 internal memory, I could place those information in the drone internal memory without being worried it will be deleted at the next formatting. Now of course, the person who find the drone have to 1) ignore all my outside labels where my phone number & email info and FAA numbers are written 2) be smart enough to connect the drone to their computer to retreve those info. :)

Reactions: TheRock and BD0G
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e