DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro tip to charge Mavic 3 battery faster (1 hour 36 min -> less than 1 hour)

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
If you buy DJI Mavic 3, the package comes with a 65W GaN USB charger. It takes about one hour and 36 minutes to fully charge one battery, whether you charge it directly in the drone, or with the battery charging hub.

Now here comes the undocumented secret about Mavic 3 - it actually supports USB PD/PPS protocol for up to 88W. Now if you buy one of the 100W USB-C charger, with a 100W USB-C cable, you can fully charge the battery in Mavic 3 in less than one hour.

Note that this trick only works if you charge the battery in the drone, not with the battery charging hub.

This trick has been confirmed by multiple users in DJI's official user forum in China:

I just tried the Watts on the DJI charger and 87W Macbook Charger. Macbook charger seems to be charging at lesser watts
A3CB03D9-188F-4A79-93D2-B5871B770412.jpeg1E4BCD19-1406-4461-8B94-B1B68FD28797.jpeg
NOTE: Apple charger is probably not PPS protocol

If you buy DJI Mavic 3, the package comes with a 65W GaN USB charger. It takes about one hour and 36 minutes to fully charge one battery, whether you charge it directly in the drone, or with the battery charging hub.

Now here comes the undocumented secret about Mavic 3 - it actually supports USB PD/PPS protocol for up to 88W. Now if you buy one of the 100W USB-C charger, with a 100W USB-C cable, you can fully charge the battery in Mavic 3 in less than one hour.

Note that this trick only works if you charge the battery in the drone, not with the battery charging hub.

This trick has been confirmed by multiple users in DJI's official user forum in China:

Good tip. Any risk of battery damage at that rate?

(Also makes me mad that DJI didn't at least provide that charger for the Cine. :/ )

So, the biggest charger I have in my Arsenal is my 140w MacBook Pro Charger. I am fine if 40w of that goes to waste, but will this damage the battery (Or the charger)?

Oh, and any word on if this chargers either of the controllers faster? (They take 1hr 30 also with standard chargers - longer if you are also charging a battery).

DJI may void the warranty if they find out you were charging at a higher rate since it's not officially supported.

Good tip. Any risk of battery damage at that rate?

(Also makes me mad that DJI didn't at least provide that charger for the Cine. :/ )

So, the biggest charger I have in my Arsenal is my 140w MacBook Pro Charger. I am fine if 40w of that goes to waste, but will this damage the battery (Or the charger)?

Oh, and any word on if this chargers either of the controllers faster? (They take 1hr 30 also with standard chargers - longer if you are also charging a battery).

No it should not damage the battery or the charging hub. USB PD is a two-way handshaking protocol. The drone and the charging hub tell the charger how much power they require to charge. The drone (Mavic 3) supports up to 88W. The charging hub, on the other hand, can handle only 65W.

I haven't found anything about charging the controller faster - you can always give it try, with your 140W charger.

DJI may void the warranty if they find out you were charging at a higher rate since it's not officially supported.

I doubt that would ever happen. This tip is announced by DJI official user forum's admin, who is a DJI employee, and she gets this information from DJI's engineering team.

Reactions: DMavic
Until now, I have not found aftermarket Mavic 3 charger at market place (Aliexpress), such as brand YX that have been produced for Mavic 2 and Mini 2 (I owned those).

Do you guys, ever searching and find it, maybe at another market place?

Thank you,
Maximus

Thanks for sharing!

Current is pulled, not pushed, so modern batteries won't take anything they can't handle.

That being said, the faster you charge it, the worse it is for the battery's longevity, so that part is up to the user.

Reactions: maximusak
I am building a battery charging case for the Mavic 3 similar to what I did for my P4P batteries.

It appears that the perfect combination of PPS, PD, or PIQ protocols needs to be implemented in a specific power supply to max out the charging speed.

DJI Mavic 3 Charger to Charging Base15.9v @ 3.85a
Anker 60W PIQ 3.0 & GaN Charger to Charging Base19.9v @ 2.21a
Baseus 100W GaN II Fast Charger to Charging Base16.2v @ 4.48a
Baseus 100W GaN II Fast Charger to Mavic 316.1v @ 4.10a

Mavic 3 Charge 1.JPGMavic 3 Charge 2.JPGMavic 3 Charge 3.JPGMavic 3 Charge 4.JPG

IMG_4426.jpg

Any recommendation for car plug that will give 88W without bursting into flames ?

I just bought a WOTOBEUS 120W car charger from Amazon. It has three ports, and the first USB-C port has a maximum of 100W output. I verified it is able to charge Mavic 3 battery at ~88W output.

WotobeusCarCharger.jpeg

Attachments

• Mavic 3 Charger_2.jpg
    Mavic 3 Charger_2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Mavic 3 Charger_1 - Copy.jpg
    Mavic 3 Charger_1 - Copy.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Mavic 3 Charger_4.jpg
    Mavic 3 Charger_4.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Mavic 3 Charger_7.jpg
    Mavic 3 Charger_7.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 17
This what I mean, there is a aftermarket fast charger for Mavic 3 at Aliexpress, check it out guys :

View attachment 139777

Many thanks for posting the link. This product is the first of its kind, and I expect more are coming alone the way.

Back in 2018, I bought the fast charger for Mavic 2 Pro, from the same brand (YX). It has the same design, charges three M2P batteries simultaneously.

Last edited:
Many thanks for posting the link.

Back in 2018, I bought the fast charger for Mavic 2 Pro battery, from the same brand (YX). It has the same design, charges three M2P batteries simultaneously.
Your welcome,

Yes, I look the specification of the power is the same as YX for Mavic 2, the different is in the cable connectors to the battery mavic 3 port.

Your welcome,

Yes, I look the specification of the power is the same as YX for Mavic 2, the different is in the cable connectors to the battery mavic 3 port.

For Mavic 3, this design still works but has two drawback:

1) The charger itself is big and bulky. The size/weight could have been reduced, if it is designed as GaN charger, with 3 USB-C port, each supporting PPS fast charging protocol up to 88W.

2) This charger does not utilize PPS fast charging protocol, otherwise the total charging time would have been rated at 78 minutes, instead of 90 minutes.

Reactions: maximusak
Your welcome,

It is likely we see a different design for third party charger from another brand, later down the road.

This is the design for Hanatora charger for Mavic 2 Pro. Compared to YX charger, it has two additional benefits:

1) it works as both home charger and car charger.
2) it has a discharge function, for long term battery storage, when not in use.

charger1.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy