DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Probably a stupid question about height but here goes.....

Reactions
Our Mavic's are limited to 400ft/121mtrs...
I guess this is always gauged as the vertical distance away from the the controller/transmitter at the point of take off?
Cheers

Great, I keep having the reoccurring dream where I fly navigate off a cliff with over a 400ft instant drop and I can't get my drone back lol :-D
The Mavic cannot tell if you fly over a cliff. If you descend from your start point the height will display in negative numbers.

I guess that the undercarriage avoidance sensors also detect water the same as the do land or are they not that advanced?

I guess that the undercarriage avoidance sensors also detect water the same as the do land or are they not that advanced?
They will try to determine if it's safe to land, but they are not used to avoid obstacles below the drone.

Reactions: Platinumproman
Our Mavic's are limited to 400ft/121mtrs...
I guess this is always gauged as the vertical distance away from the the controller/transmitter at the point of take off?
Cheers
where are you located

then if you are in the uk it is set to 120 meters in the app around 396 ft this is the max you can fly in the uk under the present rules and it will not go any higher it is geofenced at that height.if you take it up you will see it stop when the max height is reached that height is from where you are standing.when you launched as you correctly said but if you had taken off from a cliff top or high point overlooking a valley then as you flew out from your take off point you would have to descend to keep 400 ft AGL

It has been advised to turn the sensors off when flying low over water as it will not always read the height accurately.

Another reason to turn off VPS over water: position stability prefers VPS over GPS, and may see moving waves/ripples as stationary patterns. This may cause the quad to drift some with the current. However when it then sees GPS drift, it tries to counter correct it's position.

Reactions: Sgt_Dubie
then if you are in the uk it is set to 120 meters in the app around 396 ft this is the max you can fly in the uk under the present rules and it will not go any higher it is geofenced at that height.if you take it up you will see it stop when the max height is reached that height is from where you are standing.when you launched as you correctly said but if you had taken off from a cliff top or high point overlooking a valley then as you flew out from your take off point you would have to descend to keep 400 ft AGL
Are you sure it's a blanket fencing and not just a default height limit that many don't realize can be increased?

There are two altitude limits.
One in the firmware is a hard limit of 500 metres.
The other is a user configurable limit in the app.
By default it is set at 400 ft but that can be changed by the user.
Since not everyone flies from a pancake-flat prairie, the height shown in the app is not necessarily the height above ground.

unfortunately if you were to increase it then you would be flying outside the rules thats the whole point of the limit in the first place

unfortunately if you were to increase it then you would be flying outside the rules thats the whole point of the limit in the first place
Not at all.
That would only be true if the earth is pancake-flat (and it isn't).
The rules relate to the height you fly above the ground .. not the height you fly above launch point.
They are two different things.

There are two altitude limits.
One in the firmware is a hard limit of 500 metres.
The other is a user configurable limit in the app.
By default it is set at 400 ft but that can be changed by the user.
Since not everyone flies from a pancake-flat prairie, the height shown in the app is not necessarily the height above ground.
i do not disagree with you post. i did say that the height will change with regards to your position AGL if i try to alter the max height on the app to above 120 mtrs it just reverts back to 120 mtrs

i do not disagree with you post. i did say that the height will change with regards to your position AGL if i try to alter the max height on the app to above 120 mtrs it just reverts back to 120 mtrs
Because the limit has to be stored in the drone, you have to have the drone connected to change the limit.
The reason it's not changing is that the drone is not connected when you are doing that.

perhaps the settings for our drones for use in the UK are different to yours in the USA but if i try to alter the max height in the app with it all connected up as you say then it just reverts back to 120 mtrs

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo