DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Probably picking up an Air 2S on Black Friday, Flight time/general speed vs Mini 2

nick779

Reactions
Hello again,

I sold my mini 2 to a friend a few months ago but have been regretting it ever since. The thing is that I really want the activetrack capability, obstacle avoidance, better dusk/low light video, better range/antennas (lots of interference near me), and a higher top speed/normal mode speed. The Mini 2 was fantastic otherwise.

Those of you who have the both, is the flight time comparable if I'm just cruising around? I think I averaged about 16-21 minutes if I landed at around 20% with the Mini 2.

Does using activetrack and the mastershots drastically reduce flight time?

Thank you for your time if you can comment!

Last edited:
Hello again,

I sold my mini 2 to a friend a few months ago but have been regretting it ever since. The thing is that I really want the activetrack capability, obstacle avoidance, better dusk/low light video, better range/antennas (lots of interference near me), and a higher top speed/normal mode speed. The Mini 2 was fantastic otherwise.

Those of you who have the both, is the flight time comparable if I'm just cruising around? I think I averaged about 16-21 minutes if I landed at around 20% with the Mini 2.

I also end my flights at 20% battery.

The last 3 flights were ALL in Cine mode:
17, 18, 19 minutes

The last 5 flight times:
17, 18, 19, 17, 17 minutes

Hello again,

I get about 20 - 22 minutes on my Air2 and still have approx 4-5 minutes on battery and that is my LOW LEVEL indicator point. Going lower is not a great idea if you want battery longevity on a very expensive battery.

The Mavic 3 may be out by Black Friday, so be on the lookout for it or for a cheaper price - get an Air2 since they are being reduced in price. Get the FlyMore Kit no matter which one, as you'll want the extra batteries and things that come in them.

I get about 20 - 22 minutes on my Air2 and still have approx 4-5 minutes on battery and that is my LOW LEVEL indicator point. Going lower is not a great idea if you want battery longevity on a very expensive battery.

The Mavic 3 may be out by Black Friday, so be on the lookout for it or for a cheaper price - get an Air2 since they are being reduced in price. Get the FlyMore Kit no matter which one, as you'll want the extra batteries and things that come in them.
I'd like to see the Air2S come down in price. Hoping for a nice black friday deal. Granted, considering the whole remoteid thing, not sure if I want to buy something that might be heavily impacted in 2 years.

Reactions: pommy
I'd like to see the Air2S come down in price. Hoping for a nice black friday deal. Granted, considering the whole remoteid thing, not sure if I want to buy something that might be heavily impacted in 2 years.
I waited and waited for the Phantom 4 Plus to drop and it never did. The 2S may or may not - as it's relatively new. The 2 is dropping some - but not a great deal from what I've seen.

Yes! Choose the Air 2S over the Air 2 for sure. 100%.

Aside from the potential "saving" (are you really saving though?) the Air 2 has an inferior camera, less sensors and an older model.

Buying a Pro 2 over the upcoming Pro 3 makes sense, but the Air 2 vs Air 2S? not so much.

If you had the Air 2 already and didn't want to upgrade to the Air 2S (and some people still do because of the camera etc), that would make some sense - but if you don't have a drone, getting the Air 2 doesn't add up.

Buy once, cry once - get the drone you WANT, not the cheaper one.

...buyers' remorse sucks!

Oh, 23 mins is my average flying in all modes and landing with 20% (Air 2S)

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
Yes! Choose the Air 2S over the Air 2 for sure. 100%.

Aside from the potential "saving" (are you really saving though?) the Air 2 has an inferior camera, less sensors and an older model.

Buying a Pro 2 over the upcoming Pro 3 makes sense, but the Air 2 vs Air 2S? not so much.

If you had the Air 2 already and didn't want to upgrade to the Air 2S (and some people still do because of the camera etc), that would make some sense - but if you don't have a drone, getting the Air 2 doesn't add up.

Buy once, cry once - get the drone you WANT, not the cheaper one.

...buyers' remorse sucks!

Oh, 23 mins is my average flying in all modes and landing with 20% (Air 2S)
I regret selling my Mavic Air 2 to upgrade to the Air 2S.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
What was your reasoning on why not to upgrade from the Mavic Air 2 to the Air 2S?
If you have the Air 2, then you have a great drone already. The incremental upgrades aren’t that much if you have an Air 2.

If you don’t have a drone at all, it makes sense to get the Air 2S as it’s better/newer and you wouldn’t even compare it to the Air 2.

It’s solid advice, and you’re proof that the upgrade from 2 to 2S isn’t worth it.

If you have the Air 2, then you have a great drone already. The incremental upgrades aren’t that much if you have an Air 2.

If you don’t have a drone at all, it makes sense to get the Air 2S as it’s better/newer and you wouldn’t even compare it to the Air 2.

It’s solid advice, and you’re proof that the upgrade from 2 to 2S isn’t worth it.
True that! Luckily I sold my Mavic Air 2 for what I paid for it. No loss there.

I applied the sale money toward the Air 2S Fly More Combo, so at the end of the day it was a $300 upgrade.

What is it that you regret about it? Curious ?
The 5.4K is a gimmick. After recording a 5.4K video, I can't play it/edit it on my Pixel 4.

I average 17 minutes per flight vs. 24 minutes.

O3 vs. O2 is imperceptible in my use.

I fly during high noon to avoid being spotted, therefore a 1" sensor doesn't have as great an advantage.

It DOES climb/descend twice as fast.

Essentially, $300 upgrade to fly 30% less per battery charge and climb/descend quicker.

The 5.4K is a gimmick. After recording a 5.4K video, I can't play it/edit it on my Pixel 4.

I average 17 minutes per flight vs. 24 minutes.

O3 vs. O2 is imperceptible in my use.

I fly during high noon to avoid being spotted, therefore a 1" sensor doesn't have as great an advantage.

It DOES climb/descend twice as fast.
The 5.4K is spectacular. Well, kinda…

I can’t play it on my MacBook Pro (2015). The reason is not the drone - the laptop doesn’t support .265 only .264, so I can’t play it or edit it. I have to settle for 4K BUT in only in normal mode. Both DLOG and HLG defaults to .265 due to the file size it requires.

21-23 mins is my flight time. But I always fly in sports mode, so it could be more?

O2/O3 - have to agree, no difference.

Oddly, the sensor is why I bought it. The still image quality (after a bit of hardware (lens) and software fiddling) is stunning.

The ascent/decent is insane! People think it’s dropping out of the sky when they see it - I’ve had a few “Oh no’s ?” ha ha.

I hated this drone when I got it. After a few tweaks, sensor calibration and mainly the FCC for me - it has become a strong, stable and reliable drone - for me anyway!

Admittedly, it was a journey though…

I can’t play it on my MacBook Pro (2015). The reason is not the drone - the laptop doesn’t support .265 only .264, so I can’t play it or edit it. I have to settle for 4K BUT in only in normal mode. Both DLOG and HLG defaults to .265 due to the file size it requires.

21-23 mins is my flight time. But I always fly in sports mode, so it could be more?

Oddly, the sensor is why I bought it. The still image quality (after a bit of hardware (lens) and software fiddling) is stunning.

The ascent/decent is insane! People think it’s dropping out of the sky when they see it - I’ve had a few “Oh no’s ?” ha ha.

I hated this drone when I got it. After a few tweaks, sensor calibration and mainly the FCC for me - it has become a strong, stable and reliable drone - for me anyway!

What did you fly before?

I started with non-brand quad-copters as they were better known as then. My first DJI was a phantom, but it was too big and clumsy to take around with me.

Next, I got the Mavic Air. I do still have a soft spot for that one - but the wifi and the battery life just killed it. I got a Mavic Pro at the same time. Had them a while and used both about the same.

When it was time for a new drone, I realised I liked the battery life of the Pro, but the size of the Air and so I stupidly…

I bought the Mini 2 ??‍♂️

After 2 days I sold it at a loss. Hated the thing. Plastic toy. It has a place in the market, but not after a pro drone. It was pathetic and cheap.

This is where I skipped the Air 2 and got the Air 2S. It had the camera of the Pro (similar) and the battery was in between the original Air and the Pro.

It’s only recently, when I did the FCC mod, did the Air 2S finally become what I wanted it to be.

I started with non-brand quad-copters as they were better known as then. My first DJI was a phantom, but it was too big and clumsy to take around with me.

Next, I got the Mavic Air. I do still have a soft spot for that one - but the wifi and the battery life just killed it. I got a Mavic Pro at the same time. Had them a while and used both about the same.

When it was time for a new drone, I realised I liked the battery life of the Pro, but the size of the Air and so I stupidly…

I bought the Mini 2 ??‍♂️

After 2 days I sold it at a loss. Hated the thing. Plastic toy. It has a place in the market, but not after a pro drone. It was pathetic and cheap.

This is where I skipped the Air 2 and got the Air 2S. It had the camera of the Pro (similar) and the battery was in between the original Air and the Pro.

It’s only recently, when I did the FCC mod, did the Air 2S finally become what I wanted it to be.
Good summary!

My drone immediately before the Mavic Air 2 was a $50 camera drone. To say that was a quantum leap in technology would be an understatement.

After 1 year of flying the Mavic Air 2, I wanted to be stealthier flying around my neighborhood. So I researched the Air 2S.

Climb/descent rates TWICE as fast? Yep.

Greater than 2x zoom? Yep.

But I was burned with the decrease in flight time. Oh well. Time to enjoy what I do have.

Yep - you went straight from VHS to Bluray there ?

I can understand where you’re coming from now.

Thinking about the leap from a $50 drone to the Air 2 - you can’t help but be blown away.

Air 2 to Air 2S is a bit, meh ?

Not saying you do, but I spent a lot of time flying around the fun of it, taking the odd video or image here and there and always wanted more battery.

I found the better I got at filming or taking stills, the battery life didn’t matter AS much. Go to location, get video/shots - land, swap out battery and go again or usual somewhere else ?

Reactions: airbuspilot

Interesting. These are good points, but considering the same top speed, I wonder if for the flight time alone the non S would be better for my use.

Personally I never shoot higher than 4k, and usually stick to 2.7 and downscale/compress to 1080 so I can utilize the higher zoom functionality.

Reactions: pommy and tlswift58
Interesting. These are good points, but considering the same top speed, I wonder if for the flight time alone the non S would be better for my use.

Personally I never shoot higher than 4k, and usually stick to 2.7 and downscale/compress to 1080 so I can utilize the higher zoom functionality.
Air 2S Zoom Levels:
4K = 4x
2.7K = 6x
1080P = 8x

Hopefully someone can be of assistance and post the zoom levels of the Mavic Air 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3