DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Probably the stupidest FM case mod to stop the warping props, but it works!

mystles

Reactions
First off, Hi everyone, first time poster, got my MM a few weeks ago and been in love. I'm a furloughed airline pilot and this actually somewhat scratches that aviation itch I've had for a bit now.

Anyways,
So I spent the better part of this evening researching the problems of this drone, and it seems that the bent props in the MM fly more case comes up. I've seen a couple posts about how to prevent this with rubber bands, better folding, cutting the case, etc... And then I thought, well why don't you just raise the MM a little? I thought it was stupid because c'mon, it's so simple and it seems no one posted about it yet.

Anyways, here's the "mod". 4 cut velcro zip-ties. 2 rolled on the far edge horizontally, about 1/4 '' in height, 2 rolled vertically, about 1/2 '' in height. Now the MM rests on the far rear of the HS and the front of the gimbal cover with a 1/4 '' gap underneath to allow for freeplay of the props should they come loose.

I tested this by shaking the case with it empty and the top props fastened, and if I listen very carefully I can hear the bottom props flapping about, telling me that there's no force on it. Case closes normally.

Please tell me why this doesn't work. ?

Cheers.
mm case 1024.jpg

Attachments

• mm case 2 1024.jpg
    mm case 2 1024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185
Whatever you do, the secret to this is to allow storage space so that when the rear arms are folded back under the drone, the prop-sets on each motor are NOT meshed together across the body of the Mav' Mini. When the rear arms are folded, the motors canter out at around a 5-degree angle. This means that to mesh the prop-blades together across the body of the drone, you have to put pressure on the prop-blades which flattens them (reduces their pitch). If this is done when the drone is hot after a flight, the problem is made worse because the plastic blades warm, soften, and then cool in the pressured shape. It appears that the mod's being proposed here 'lift' the body of the drone in the case, so that the stowed prop blades on the underside, don't have to be meshed together and slotted down into the cut-out in the case.

Sorry but I do not see the point of this, as standard there is already clearance under the gimbal cover for the props to swing if they were allowed to. With my Mini 'forcing' the blades to be across the body requires that they be depressed so that they may intermesh with one another.
Test it and see, remove the rear props and put a dollop of SOFT margarine etc. on/in a piece of cling film, the cling film should be big enough to make a bag for the margarine but not so small that it constrains teh margarine. Put the margarine, in its bag, on the floor of the case where the gimbal cover will be and then put the mini in the case and gently press it home. Providing the margarine is soft it will be squashed in the space between the gimbal cover and the case floor.
Remove the Mini and check the thickness of the margarine where it has been flattened by the gimbal cover. Then compare that with how much 'above' the gimbal cover the convex surface of props sit.
I actually did this with the props on and there was from memory a couple or more millimeters of clearance under the props.
Personally I think you'd do better to cut out the for'd shoulders of the rear motor recesses as shown in the attached and allow the blades to sit where they want to under the gimbal

Attachments

• flymore case mods shoulders cut away.jpg
    flymore case mods shoulders cut away.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 167
Sorry but I do not see the point of this ...
I think that the point of the two mod's shown in the photo's above, is that the body of the Mavic Mini is lifted up far enough so that the rear prop-blades can sit without being meshed together in the dug-out trench in the FlyMore case.

Reactions: lowellton
I think that the point of the two mod's shown in the photo's above, is that the body of the Mavic Mini is lifted up far enough so that the rear prop-blades can sit without being meshed together in the dug-out trench in the FlyMore case.
You are right. Rather cutting or put some ducktape in the case i think it is more clean to put styro. Thanks and enjoy

My point is, the 'height clearance' for the blades to swing forwards exists ALREADY without the standoffs.

That is why I do not understand the point of the standoffs.
It's the for'd shoulders of the motor insets that prevent its use, as the Mini is lowered into the case any forward-pointing rear-blades come onto contact with those shoulders and those blades are forced to rotate inwards, towards one another and across the body.

Aside from that I'd have concerns about the lifted Mini squashing the front blades againt the lid of the case

My point is, the 'height clearance' for the blades to swing forwards exists ALREADY without the standoffs.

That is why I do not understand the point of the standoffs.
It's the for'd shoulders of the motor insets that prevent its use, as the Mini is lowered into the case any forward-pointing rear-blades come onto contact with those shoulders and those blades are forced to rotate inwards, towards one another and across the body.

Aside from that I'd have concerns about the lifted Mini squashing the front blades againt the lid of the case
Mine works for me so i leave that way. And for my eyes its Clean and neat. I guess the bottom line if it works for someone let it be. Enjoy

i have a 3D printer , and i use two different model for the top and bottom.

The bottom one is just a clip , the props are still a bit loose and there is no pressure on them. The clip prevent the props to move inside of the case. The Top one is a full protector and prevent a direct pressure on the props

Attachments

• bot.jpg
    bot.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 166
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 166
Flaming, since I have no experience or expertise with 3-D printing I don't have a 3-D printer. Saying that, are this clip and cover you've created available for sale so that people like me and others can benefit from it?

Flaming, since I have no experience or expertise with 3-D printing I don't have a 3-D printer. Saying that, are this clip and cover you've created available for sale so that people like me and others can benefit from it?

Well i print things as a hobby , i don't really ''sell'' to anybody. I have no desire to start a mass production ;) But i guess that i can make an extra set , i hope you like red because that's the color of the material that is currently loaded on the 3D Printer ... so i will let you know when done .

What I have gathered from all of this is that storage in the Fly More case is the inherent problem. I am going to replace my props and then store my MM1 on a glass-enclosed shelf in vivid view of everyone, and only put it in the case when I have to transport it. I get to see my MM a lot more, so its a win-win for everyone!

My Mini has always been stored in the Fly More case... it flew still perfectly some months ago on the original set of props which are not visibly deformed.

You just need to be careful the props don't get pinched on the bumps.

First off, Hi everyone, first time poster, got my MM a few weeks ago and been in love. I'm a furloughed airline pilot and this actually somewhat scratches that aviation itch I've had for a bit now.

Anyways,
So I spent the better part of this evening researching the problems of this drone, and it seems that the bent props in the MM fly more case comes up. I've seen a couple posts about how to prevent this with rubber bands, better folding, cutting the case, etc... And then I thought, well why don't you just raise the MM a little? I thought it was stupid because c'mon, it's so simple and it seems no one posted about it yet.

Anyways, here's the "mod". 4 cut velcro zip-ties. 2 rolled on the far edge horizontally, about 1/4 '' in height, 2 rolled vertically, about 1/2 '' in height. Now the MM rests on the far rear of the HS and the front of the gimbal cover with a 1/4 '' gap underneath to allow for freeplay of the props should they come loose.

I tested this by shaking the case with it empty and the top props fastened, and if I listen very carefully I can hear the bottom props flapping about, telling me that there's no force on it. Case closes normally.

Please tell me why this doesn't work. ?

Cheers.
View attachment 111913
Now get a 3D printer and P)OW all kinds of things to make for this hobby. Try the Creality Ender 3 v2. I did and for a bit less than this drone you just filled the no fly, rainy day doldrums. Brilliant mod.

Now get a 3D printer and P)OW all kinds of things to make for this hobby. Try the Creality Ender 3 v2. I did and for a bit less than this drone you just filled the no fly, rainy day doldrums. Brilliant mod.
My Mavic Mini Fly More case came without that raised middle section. Therefore I don't have the problem with the rear props getting pinched on the hump. This kit is from last October.

Reactions: Jsaint
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_