DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem with MA2 and new 1.2.0 update

TorCal

Reactions
Just updated to the new app and also updated the drone this morning. When I took off my camera view on my cell phone connected to remote was stuck and not a live picture. It would update view every 10 seconds or so and just be a still image. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the updates and it still does this. Anyone else having this problem or am I missing something? I have never had an issue with this drone before this last update and have over 200 flights logged with it. Thanks for any help..

Reactions: In The Zone
Thanks for posting! I am not going to update my drone firmware until I see some responses to this thread; the app updated automatically (not sure how to revert if necessary).

I experienced no issue with updating the app when I flew yesterday. I thought there was a glitch but it was just Obstacle Avoidance catching the glare from the sun and braking the drone.

Reactions: TorCal
You can install the old app version from an apk website which I am about to do. Just redid everything and double checked all settings and permissions and it still will freeze the picture for 10 seconds then go to current view and freeze again then works fine for awhile but keeps doing this which is frustrating since this update doesn't benefit the MA2 at all. Im using Android samsung galaxy S8 also. What phone are you guys using??? The good thing is that I tested the RTH when it was doing this and it worked properly..

Since installing the update Im having disconnection issues where it is very unreliable even at much closer distance than previous drop outs and then struggles to reconnect sometimes requiring the drone to be turned off and restarted. Drone does unexpected moves for a few seconds after disconnect until RTH kicks in.
Samsung Note 8

Yep. Updated my firmware as well. Screen for camera / pictures was all blurry and full of lines. Shot pictures and they came out, but could not see what shooting on my phone screen. Switched to video and no issues at all for shooting or seeing what I was seeing on my phone.

You guys need to be clear about what you "updated": the app (phone), the drone (firmware)...or both. It could even be an Android vs iOS thing (I am iOS). Right now it looks like definitely a firmware issue, but maybe a phone issue. I am planning on flying tomorrow (weekend).

Reactions: kidroc
You guys need to be clear about what you "updated": the app (phone), the drone (firmware)...or both. It could even be an Android vs iOS thing (I am iOS). Right now it looks like definitely a firmware issue, but maybe a phone issue. I am planning on flying tomorrow (weekend).
Mine is DRONE firmware direct from DJI. Was working fine prior to update. I can fly and use the video screen to see what I'm shooting and then go to camera mode to take a pic - but that is a total PIA.

Will try to go back to previous version of "firmware" to see what happens!

I updated the Fly app from 1.1.10 to 1.2.0 and had a tablet reboot during flight. I came in and checked for any further updates and there was a 20 meg update. I have updated using that update and it did not change the app revision number. It is still 1.2.0. I have not had a chance to fly after the updated update.... Also, I cannot upload that flight to Airdata. I can see it and view it in the Fly app but can't upload it to Airdata.

I just did the update today on Fly app and it was mostly for the Mini 2 that's coming out soon... So after I did the update when I boot up the Drone the app boots up to a blank screen. If you push photo/video toggle button and use it on video mode it works perfectly fine also 1x 2x 3x 4x zoom 3x is now missing. When you toggle back photo mode sometimes it works but it's a little choppy and the live picture freezes. And you can toggle back to video mode and it works perfectly fine and the live picture feed is perfectly smooth. I also noticed it used to say tripod mode with a T now it's a C for Cinema mode. It looks like they updated the fly app to fit their Mini 2 but screwed up the Mavic Air 2 app in the process. I'm using an Android tablet app ver 1.2.0

Post Update: The fly app before the Nov 5, 2020 Update was ver# 1.1.9 works perfectly. The new update on Nov 5th ver# 1.2.0 is screwed up for the Mavic Air 2. DO NOT UPDATE THE APP UNTIL DJI FIXES THIS!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! Based on the last couple of posts, I'm going to:
  • not update the drone firmware, and
  • revert the app back to whatever I had on my last phone back-up (probably 1.1.10)
When it looks like DJI has acknowledged/corrected the problems, then I'll think about updating

Thanks for the replies! Based on the last couple of posts, I'm going to:
  • not update the drone firmware, and
  • revert the app back to whatever I had on my last phone back-up (probably 1.1.10)
When it looks like DJI has acknowledged/corrected the problems, then I'll think about updating
I don't believe it's the drone firmware that received a recent update. It's the remote control firmware if I'm reading these threads correctly.

I don't believe it's the drone firmware that received a recent update. It's the remote control firmware if I'm reading these threads correctly.
Either way, I'm not updating ANY DJI firmware until I see an "all clear"...and I just reverted my iPhone app to v1.10.0

Reactions: Gary R
There are some posts on the DJI Forum about people having issues with MA2 after recent updates, so I think its probably best to avoid updating, since it appears to be unstable. Plus, making it potentially worse, is reverting firmware using the Assistant may not help.

If using IOS, trying to revert IOS versions of the app I am not sure its possible, unless the old version is available on the App Store and you'd have to delete the new one,.

The problem has nothing to do with the firmware on the Drone or the controller. The app update is the problem. DJI updated the fly app for the Mini 2 and it screwed up the app for the mavic Air 2... I believe the app version was 1.1.0 the update ver is 1.2.0 hopefully DJI gets this fixed very quickly because it really does suck.

I contacted DJI yesterday when I was experiencing problems an I was told to delete and reinstall the DJI Fly app.

Also, you need to restart both the drone and controller after a firmware update.

I contacted DJI yesterday when I was experiencing problems an I was told to delete and reinstall the DJI Fly app.

Also, you need to restart both the drone and controller after a firmware update.
So. Are you on IOS ? Or android? Do you think your stable now? Does the firmware update the Ma2 and remote??

Here's a video of the problem with the update on the Nov 5, 2020 app ver #1.2.0

I believe that Android may have another build 889, which may fix or try to fix those issues,, do you know which build is in your video?

I updated this morning and carefully flew in front of the house (to make sure it had a clear treeless RTH just in case). I have been seeing all of the controller disconnect issues on the Facebook groups. Everything worked fine, no video or connection issues at all. I'll be going out this afternoon so I'll be able to tell more then. So far so good for me though. MA2, iPhone 7, newest Fly app (updated the other day) and newest firmware (updated this morning).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242