DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem with manual photo settings, e.g., Shutter speed

MEFfly

Reactions
Mavic Pro Platinum
I was recently trying to shoot still photos of fireworks. Drone was directly above me in a wide open field.
Since I wasn't sure which settings would work best, the camera was set to manual, 100 ISO, and initial shutter speed of 1/30

As I was working through exposures to get usable shots, I noticed the shutter speed adjustment would not go lower than 1/20 using the right dial on the RC unit. I could go shorter, but not longer exposure. Everything looked good in the DJI GO software, but it also was not showing less than 1/20 sec in the shutter speed selection area of the camera manual settings slider/menu.

I brought the drone down, turned everything on/off, reconnected, and relaunched. Same issue for a while, then all of sudden I was able to get the shutter speed to increase all the way up to the 8 sec max setting using the RC dial. It then worked fine across all the shutter speeds.

I had the same issue the next night in my back yard, although it seemed to resolve itself faster, e.g., I got control of the full range of shutter speeds after a short time of only being able to go down to 1/20 sec.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it indicative of a software glitch, or perhaps is the RC dial messed up? Any settings I should check?

I always shoot in manual, so not having access to all shutter speeds is a major issue.

Any insights much appreciated.

-Mark

I may be remembering this wrong, but the wheel adjusts the EV, which may change the shutter speed but not necessarily. To adjust shutter speed you need to go into the camera settings. Can you adjust the shutter speed top what you want from within the app?

You can only go up to 8 seconds in photo mode, not in video mode.
When you're recording video at 25 frames a second you cannot capture a frame for longer than 1/25th of a second...

You probably toggled mode without noticing.

I may be remembering this wrong, but the wheel adjusts the EV
In P mode yes, but not in manual.

You can only go up to 8 seconds in photo mode, not in video mode.
When you're recording video at 25 frames a second you cannot capture a frame for longer than 1/25th of a second...

You probably toggled mode without noticing.

In P mode yes, but not in manual.

Could you clarify? Do you mean that i toggled between video and photo mode? Not even sure if I know I am doing that... I think i may have done both video and photo modes. But i thought the video start/stop button (left "under-button" on RC unit) does video on/off, and then pressing the photo capture button (right "under-button" on RC unit) would reset to photo mode.

Not sure I saw anything in the MP manual about that, but will check.

Yes, if you're in the other mode pressing either the photo or video button switches you to that mode.
It's easy to press one of those buttons by mistake.

Last edited:
In case anyone else was curious, I confirmed that you must press the right photo "under-button" to exit video mode and return to photo mode and be able to then get slower than 1/30 sec shutter speed in manual mode.

Thanks for all the advice/comments.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters