DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem with SD card

Suzygs1000

Reactions
I just received my new Mini 3 PRO I flew it yesterday, and recorded about 5 minutes of video successfully. I transferred the video to my desktop computer using a usb slot. It was fine. I then reformatted the card. I flew it this morning and recorded about 20 minutes of video, but on the playback in my desktop it only shows the last 41 seconds of the flight .... I have been using the card without problems for about 6 months in a Mini 2 and a Mini se, so I don't think the card is the problem. I see someone previously had a problem like this, but replies to the thread were closed by one of the moderators, who it appeared did not consider it to be a drone problem.. I'm no rocket scientist, but if it is not a drone problem and I don't think it is a card problem. then it would appear that I am doing something wrong? What I did do was about 15 minutes into recording, I changed the quality to 1080p. Could this be the problem, changing while it was recording? If so, why would it start recording again 41 seconds before the landing? and why would it let me change the quality while recording?

I also remembered just now that I kept getting notifications from the drone that the recording speed was slow?

Last edited:
Reactions: a2tomm
I think I have found my problem .... the card I am using is the one I purchased for my first Mini. and is only V10. I guess that is why the app told me it was too slow. Still, I dunno why it recorded yesterday, or am I dreaming,, Anyway, I have previously order a couple of V30 cards but only 32gb, and I see from the manual that all recommended cards are at least 64 gb. This shouldn't matter tho, maybe it will limit the length of my recordings ...

Reactions: a2tomm
@Suzygs1000 the 32gb cards are more than enough for photos and if you record in 1080p at 30fps then you can get a fair bit of video on them ,its when you record at 4k high res that the storage space soon gets eaten up ,put one in the drone and choose different resolutions and see what recording time is available

Reactions: Suzygs1000
My 2 cents ,I had problems early on with Mavic Pro 2 ,after every flight ( 4 batteries ) I would reformat in the PC and was having your problem ,I found it best to just format once in PC giving card a name then formatting in drone .that took care of any problems ,after unloading card just delete all to make room for next event

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Pardon me Tom, but the general advice in the industry for years for SD cards is to reformat the card in the device regularly. I download images, do a backup on the computer and put the card back in the camera and reformat it.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
I don't bother reformatting it every time. I offload the files then delete and empty the trash. Never had an issue...

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Most devices do not do a full format on the SD card. They delete all files and folders then write the folder structure they use for storage of files. By doing the format in the device those folders are already written before you attempt taking the first photo or video.

True formatting takes more time than most devices (such as most cameras of any type) are designed to do. Just for fun do a full format on even a 16GB SD card on your PC (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.) and see how long it takes.

My suggestion above was given to be by an engineer at San Disk many years ago (it could be dated now).
Changing the oil in an automobile does not remove all the contaminants in the engine but that doesn't mean that just changing the oil isn't a good idea.
The process of formatting in the camera storage card is good enough to prevent problems which I recall in the early days of digital where the card would drop pixels. The basic formatting allows the camera to store pixel groups contiguously.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada