DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems/dislike people have with drones

Rabber

Reactions
Why do people hate drones? I made a video OUT IN THE DESERT. No people anywhere. Just me, my dog and my Mavic 2. I posted said video to a couple Facebook groups specifically for this desert ( Anza Borrego). What I got was a lot of likes and comments. There were also plenty of drone haters chiming in. Never mind the video showcasing the desert we love, let's just hate on the drone.

You can view my video at
and see what all the hate is about.

Privacy concerns, desecration of sacred etc. sites by image taking (especially by tourists) or 'trespass', safety fears, you name it and someone probably has concerns about it.

Fear and ignorance.

I think most of the people who dislike drones are entirely or partially ignorant about them and they're afraid of them. That seems to be true of most inflammatory issues.

The greatest specific fear, according to what I've heard from people, is voyeurism. A couple of my neighbors whom I've known for years joked about that when I told them I'd started flying drones. They mistakenly believe that a drone offers a clear view through every window in the houses and that people with drones have a peculiar interest in looking at them.

Noise and disturbances seem to be second. I have to agree that drones don't belong most anywhere a boombox is inappropriate.

Fear of crashes and damage to people and property seem to run a distant third.

Again, I was flying my Mavic 2 is a remote area that had a hiking trail up to a peak on a large hill. I flew over to the peak and there were some hikers at the top. A couple of them waved at me but one guy started throwing rocks.

I left and flew off to another distant hill. There was a climber at the top of that one also. This was a very remote hill and the guy had to work hard to get to the top. He was taking in the scenery. I respected his solitude immediately flew away.

If I would have stuck around I am sure I would have created another drone hater.

If, after a demonstration by some skilled drone pilots, would this State Park consider allowing flights with altitude minimums? I wonder though, does a State have the authority to regulate the NAS? On that subject, I‘m sure the FAA gets the gamut of drone detractors, and possibly makes rules based on those comments/concerns.

I hesitate to call people drone haters as it seems a little harsh, though some hate everything that isn’t theirs. Turn back the clock to the early days of manned aviation. People then were generally aprehensive of seeing a plane in the sky. These days an airplane nary gets a second thought, and they’re noisier than drones. One of these days drones will be as acceptable as manned aircraft. It’s just my opinion. The spying thing will dwindle down to hardly news because it just isn’t happening enough to make the media. Insect drones are another story. Fly the rules. Best one can do. The rest will take care of itself eventually.

Reactions: mereflyer
If, after a demonstration by some skilled drone pilots, would this State Park consider allowing flights with altitude minimums? I wonder though, does a State have the authority to regulate the NAS? On that subject, I‘m sure the FAA gets the gamut of drone detractors, and possibly makes rules based on those comments/concerns.

I hesitate to call people drone haters as it seems a little harsh, though some hate everything that isn’t theirs. Turn back the clock to the early days of manned aviation. People then were generally aprehensive of seeing a plane in the sky. These days an airplane nary gets a second thought, and they’re noisier than drones. One of these days drones will be as acceptable as manned aircraft. It’s just my opinion. The spying thing will dwindle down to hardly news because it just isn’t happening enough to make the media. Insect drones are another story. Fly the rules. Best one can do. The rest will take care of itself eventually.
In this instance (and most Gov parks) they are NOT attempting to control Airspace at all. It's a Land Use situation and they worded it very clearly to demonstrate that with:

"No person shall launch, land, or operate a powered unmanned aircraft or Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park."

What is wrong in this thread? What rules aren't followed?

The OP stated:

I made a video OUT IN THE DESERT. No people anywhere. Just me, my dog and my Mavic 2. I posted said video to a couple Facebook groups specifically for this desert ( Anza Borrego).

and the rules of that area state:
(from the park website) "-No person shall launch, land, or operate a powered unmanned aircraft or Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park."

That should sum it up nicely :) I applied BOLD and COLOR for Clarity and Emphasis. . . .

No person shall launch, land, or operate a powered unmanned aircraft or Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park."
Maybe you can fly over the park, but not takeoff or land on the property.

Again, I was flying my Mavic 2 is a remote area that had a hiking trail up to a peak on a large hill. I flew over to the peak and there were some hikers at the top. A couple of them waved at me but one guy started throwing rocks.

I left and flew off to another distant hill. There was a climber at the top of that one also. This was a very remote hill and the guy had to work hard to get to the top. He was taking in the scenery. I respected his solitude immediately flew away.

If I would have stuck around I am sure I would have created another drone hater.
What is odd is that these same people have no issue with someone taking photos or video with a camera or smart phone, or an issue with an airplane flying over the same area that is 10 to hundreds of times louder than a drone. Yet they complain about how a drone invades their privacy or solitude. I call FOUL!

Edit: I just saw additional posts showing the park has rules about launch and recovery of drones. Those should be respected and if you disagree with them petition those that enacted them to change them to something more drone friendly. DO NOT break rules just because you disagree with them! Work to change them!

Last edited:
In this instance (and most Gov parks) they are NOT attempting to control Airspace at all. It's a Land Use situation and they worded it very clearly to demonstrate that with:

"No person shall launch, land, or operate a powered unmanned aircraft or Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park."
The wording may be clear to you but the interpretation is subject to the whims of everyone charged with enforcing it. Some would interpret "within Anza Desert State Park" to specifically INCLUDE the air space above it. This regulation is not at all clearly written.

A much more clear statement might have read: ". . . on the grounds of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park."

I'm going to get lots of hate on this one, but I'm in the camp of people who think that State and National parks and drones don't mix. There are so few places left where one can find solitude. Can you launch your drone from the boundary of the park and then legally fly over that park? Yeah, you can. And if you do that, I think you're missing the point of parks.

On another note, not only did the OP not take the time to read the park rules, they griped about all the haters. What haters? That video didn't have a single comment.

The wording may be clear to you but the interpretation is subject to the whims of everyone charged with enforcing it. Some would interpret "within Anza Desert State Park" to specifically INCLUDE the air space above it. This regulation is not at all clearly written.

A much more clear statement might have read: ". . . on the grounds of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park."
It couldn't be more clear. The park doesn't want drones around. WE as pilots are supposed to know the difference between flying from and flying over the park. Non-drone pilots can ignore this sign and should be able to enjoy the park without someone flying right next to the sculptures.

No they don’t. They can regulate what you do as in operating a drone inside the boundaries of their park.
Not knowing the distance from the park boundaries to the filmed location, he would also need to be concerned with flying beyond line of sight with his drone.

Reactions: BigAl07
Why do people hate drones? I made a video OUT IN THE DESERT. No people anywhere. Just me, my dog and my Mavic 2. I posted said video to a couple Facebook groups specifically for this desert ( Anza Borrego). What I got was a lot of likes and comments. There were also plenty of drone haters chiming in. Never mind the video showcasing the desert we love, let's just hate on the drone.

You can view my video at
and see what all the hate is about.

What hate? As of 30 seconds ago, there were no comments and not a single thumbs-down tag.

WOLF!

What the park “wants” and what the park is legally entitled to are two completely different concepts. As a responsible and considerate pilot and citizen, I can carefully select a time and location within a state park which is deserted. I can also leave if that situation changes. No one’s solitude is disturbed - no one except for the misinformed park ranger with a distorted view of his jurisdiction.

The regs need to be made extremely clear and unambiguous so that we can all share and enjoy our parks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest