DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems linking Mavic mini 2, to controller

David Smith

Reactions
Hi, Droners of the world. I'm had a very stressful time all day trying to link my new Mavic mini 2 to the hand controller. I've followed several ways to do it. But all I get is a message saying connection to the aircraft failed. or Connect to aircraft. Well, I've tried to connect the aircraft hundreds of times!! The strange thing is that it appears to be connected. Because when I roll the wheel that tilts the gimbal down. It goes down. Yes, I promise you it does. But I don't get any camera view. I've uninstalled the dji fly app. And reinstalled it 6 times. No change. Is there by any chance a dji mini 2 fly app? This blinking thing cost me over 500 quid yesterday. I wish I'd kept my original mini. Which I wrongly sold cheap tp my son. I've heard that there are several others out there having the same problem. Some even say some android phones are not compatible with the Mini 2. Please help guys. I'm at my wits end. And so near to jumping on this thing.
Cheers Dave

Have tried a different USB cable from the RC to the phone.

Also try a different phone or tablet to rule this out as being the problem

If the gimbal responds, then the RC is probably already linked, which it should already be from the factory. The RC LEDs as well as the AC back LED should also indicate if it's linked. Be sure you have the latest version of Fly app. A good check is when you go into "Connect Aircraft" from the lower left without the RC connected, one of the aircraft models to choose from is the Mini 2. If all you see is Mini and Air 2 or no choice at all, you probably have an older version of Fly.

If you originally manually installed the app by downloading the APK from DJI, it won't update automatically.

Precisely what is the wording of the message that you see, verbatim?
With the MM the message changes depending on whether it is the phone not connecting to the controller or the controller not connecting to the drone.
If you have gimbal control you almost certainly have a connection between the controller and the drone.
Check pages 12 & 13 etc of the manual DJI Mini 2 - Downloads - DJI for the colour code and sequence of the LEDs with regards to connection status. The controller itself probably has an LED flash code to indicate drone to controller connection staus.
Given that you can move the gimbal I would suspect a cable problem between the controller and the phone as suggested by Iannes. If the connection types are compatible use the supplied cable to connect the phone to a computer, I assume it will work in the same way as the MM and a good cable and connections will cause the phone to show up on your computer AND charge. Any alternative cable needs to be data and charge capable

Hi, Droners of the world. I'm had a very stressful time all day trying to link my new Mavic mini 2 to the hand controller. I've followed several ways to do it. But all I get is a message saying connection to the aircraft failed. or Connect to aircraft. Well, I've tried to connect the aircraft hundreds of times!! The strange thing is that it appears to be connected. Because when I roll the wheel that tilts the gimbal down. It goes down. Yes, I promise you it does. But I don't get any camera view. I've uninstalled the dji fly app. And reinstalled it 6 times. No change. Is there by any chance a dji mini 2 fly app? This blinking thing cost me over 500 quid yesterday. I wish I'd kept my original mini. Which I wrongly sold cheap tp my son. I've heard that there are several others out there having the same problem. Some even say some android phones are not compatible with the Mini 2. Please help guys. I'm at my wits end. And so near to jumping on this thing.
Cheers Dave
Contact DJI and send it back while you’re still under warranty.

Does that apply to the Go apps too?
Any app, not just DJI apps. However Go4 will be offered in Play for just about any reasonably current model, where Fly has specific requirements, one being sufficient RAM installed. I thought the threshold was 4GB based on comments but some have found it available with as low as 3GB. Those with devices with only 2GB had to download and install the APK.

Reading over the original post, it seems too much attention was made about RC to AC connection but not much description showing that there's a clear RC to device/app connection. OP can send it back but if he's not establishing the connection correctly, the replacement will do the same thing.

Without an RC connected, I'm not able to find where in Fly to initiate RC linking to AC.

USB connections are usually fully connected or not. One could have an intermittent connection but that should be obvious. Since USB is serial (that's what the S in USB stands for), it would be very unusual to get some functionality through it but not others.

So, if the app says "RC connected" but app can't do anything but worked just fine with an MM1, I suspect a version of Fly older than what's needed for MM2. That can easily be determined if when you don't have any RC connected and you select camera view, you aren't given a choice of AC to connect to, which means version of FLY is pre-MA2 and only compatible with MM1, or only choices are MM1 and MA2 which means version is pre-MM2 and so only compatible with MM1 and MA2.

Last edited:
Good point about the App compatibility, wasn't there a flurry of " my phone will not connect" posts when the Mini 2 first came out and Version 1.2? had not been released?

That said, the app version can be seen in the app via the "About" menu.
For the OP press the 3 button symbol on the top RHS of the screen followed by "About" and then scroll down the subsequent screen.
Under Android the app version can also be seen when looking at details of the App in the phone's app manager.

I had a similar issue with the Mini 1 and my old Sony XA2 phone. It started to work only after I enabled "Developer options" / "USB Debugging" on the phone ...

Also, the Mini2 controller does not work on my Teclast P20HD tablet, while the Mini 1 controller worked.
Luckily, it does work with the Redmi Note 8 pro phone...
So maybe try with another phone.

Originally I had to buy an old iPhone 6 ( for $60 CAD :) to get my Mini 1 to work, maybe you can find something similar that is on the compatibility list ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Grazuncle
Just a thought but you have got the rc cable plugged into the right hand USB slot don't you? I made the mistake of using the left slot because it gave me more slack on the cable. Turns out I wasn't connected at all lol as I had the rc cable connected to my phone but the other end was in the left slot which is not connected at all.

Reactions: Grazuncle
Just a thought but you have got the rc cable plugged into the right hand USB slot don't you? I made the mistake of using the left slot because it gave me more slack on the cable. Turns out I wasn't connected at all lol as I had the rc cable connected to my phone but the other end was in the left slot which is not connected at all.
Yes, I have tried both upper (right) and bottom ports, with many different cables.

I think I have figured out what the problem is - the Mini1 controller and Mini2 controller have different usb port chips, so the drivers for the latter one are is not recognized on the tablet.
As for the flight simulator, the Mini 2 controller has a different protocol, so even after installing drivers, the controller still does not work.
I guess the only thing to do now is to buy an used simulator supported controller, or maybe build one with the Arduino...

Reactions: Garilla
Cheers Dave
Hi Dave.....did you get any feedback from the folks here on the Forum?? I have experienced the same problem your having with my Mini-2 Not connecting to the Controller. Rapid flashing lights on the rear
will tell you something as I have found out.. Reply to me if your all set with your issue. I had to send my Mini-2 back to California for repair after talking with those knuckle heads at DJI Support, who are lazy..Ron

Maybe this is too late, but this is what I found. I was having quite the morning as well thinking I had a dud somewhere in the combo package. I had no connection to the DJI Fly app downloaded from DJI. I had enabled USB Debugging to no avail. I could see the thumb-wheel move the camera on the Mini2 so I knew I had some form of a link to the controller. The drone was flashing red all the time regardless. I tried another cable to no avail. I decided to reset my the following settings on my Samsung A5(2017): I went into my phone settings and reset all my Network setting (so remember what your network password was) my Wifi and Bluetooth settings. Then I went back in and had to enable wifi and bluetooth (resetting turns these off) Once I had reconnected to my wifi, everything came online and worked. Doing this resetting should work on other brands. Understand that the problems I had was because I had disabled all kinds of things on my phone for privacy. This is why I am using this old phone which has no sim card and will be used only for the Mini 2.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000