DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems with Mavic Pro 2 / Zoom

Greg Webb

Retired Law Enforcement / Part 107 Cert.
Reactions
Is it just me or? It seems to me I am reading much about various problems with these new birds. Do you think it just because they are new and there are a few bugs to be worked out or.......? Just for discussion. I know I wouldn't mind having a Mavic Pro 2 but I may just have to hold out to I see a little more stability in their performance. I have a Mavic Pro and hardly ever here of near as many problems such as fly aways, disconnect etc etc. I'm just a little curious and cautious of jumping into one at this time.

Is it just me or? It seems to me I am reading much about various problems with these new birds. Do you think it just because they are new and there are a few bugs to be worked out or.......? Just for discussion. I know I wouldn't mind having a Mavic Pro 2 but I may just have to hold out to I see a little more stability in their performance. I have a Mavic Pro and hardly ever here of near as many problems such as fly aways, disconnect etc etc. I'm just a little curious and cautious of jumping into one at this time.
i had similar thoughts to you back when the mavic 2 came out and after watching many many videos on the subject and because i felt that the extra sensors and the fact that nothing from the original mavic was compatable with the new model,meant that i decided to purchase the MPP flymore package at a very good price some £500 cheaper than the similar mavic 2 i have never regretted my choice and have had over 250 successful flights with it with no issues whatsoever, that does not mean that the mavic 2 is a bad drone, but early model runs of the latest mavics do seem to be beset with problems that take time to sort out and it seems that consumers become the beta testers for this process

Reactions: Freedom 1
I've been flying a MP2 Zoom for about 6 months. Never had an issue, other than connection issues if I am near power lines or certain WiFi routers. Mine has been very stable and reliable. I will say the gimble is sensitive: if you turn it on while in the case or if it can't move freely you have to restart the bird.

Used to fly an original gen Mavic and never had an issue with that guy.

i had similar thoughts to you back when the mavic 2 came out and after watching many many videos on the subject and because i felt that the extra sensors and the fact that nothing from the original mavic was compatable with the new model,meant that i decided to purchase the MPP flymore package at a very good price some £500 cheaper than the similar mavic 2 i have never regretted my choice and have had over 250 successful flights with it with no issues whatsoever, that does not mean that the mavic 2 is a bad drone, but early model runs of the latest mavics do seem to be beset with problems that take time to sort out and it seems that consumers become the beta testers for this process
I totally agree with you. I advise anyone that I know if they are wanting to get into it, to go for the MPP. If I had done a little more research, that is exactly what I would have done. I don't dislike the MP2 or Zoom, I'm just waiting for any known or unknown issues to be dealt with before I pull the trigger. I have good friends with both, the MP2 and the Zoom and as far as I know they haven't had any problems. It's just that I'm reading about several issues. It does upset me however when I see the beautiful photos and video the MP2 is doing.

it is you. :)
there are no obvious issues with product here. there are other issues, but, it is not version of product specific.

there are speculations, to some level, about some non-traceable crashes with no proper data to confirm/deny anything - like sudden absence of data from one IMU or other, or sudden cutoff of power, but, so far it is more at the level of the statistical noise, based on the count of people on this forum with no issues. as with any tech, there are no guarantees, but, in my opinion - spending any amount of money on obsolete tech of the previous generation does not make much sense. current firmware .400 is pretty reliable and all works more or less properly.

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
As a photographer who just wanted the aerial perspective, who started with a Phantom 0 in 2012, to Inspire 1 Pro 2015 & Mavic 2 Pro 2019, I’m just blown away by the perfection of the engineering design. No problem with the M2P although the Smart Controller still has some issues. The Apps are another thing and find it frustrating that DJI clamps performance with very mediocre Apps. I use Autopilot with the I1P and it’s a whole different world. The only observation with the M2P is that it is very sensitive to magnetic disturbances etc. & careful calibration is necessary in every new location. This is an amazing tool for a photographer but u do have to do your homework, digest the manual and comments on this forum and treat it like the expensive precision tool it is. In my opinion it is not a toy, in spite of being incredibly well designed, it’s not foolproof.

I wasn't by all means downgrading the M2P. It just seems like there may or may not be a few bugs to work out. Hopefully not. I really like what these 2 birds are capable of doing. I don't wish any bad luck on anyone and probably will end up with one before it's over. This was only a concern of mine after reading so much. Happy droning all!

Hi Had the Mavic 2 zoom almost a year now, not had a problem with the drone its self , just a dodgy battery, its the GO4 app thats not up to scratch, i had issues when using a iPad 3(GPS to weak on mobile device ) and a belly full of issues with smart controller that i thought had gone away until yesterday when i got a black and white video display on the controller, fixed with a reboot, but other than that im happy with the drone, just wish had more features like terrain follow etc

Everyone MUST understand!
This is the internet, if only 1000 built and 20 reported problems that is amazing quality.
The level of reported problems verses how many are having no problem and.....how many are situational or operator error is unknown. Additionally, anytime complexity is higher MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) will be reduced.
I’m amazed at the reliability of all of my DJI drones (P4P, Tello, M2P, and MA).
A lot of the stories on this site must be taken with a grain of salt, some may be operators trying to convince themselves (and DJI) it was a defect.

In a FB post I wrote after someone said everyone crashes sooner or l8r I said is it components that fail or is it still operators error, people expect them to do more than they are able.

Most fly always etc are user error and as it has been said many times on hear, only people who DO have a problem post it and that is what the site is for, to help people. I have had my M2P for nearly a year and apart from backing it into a tree on my learning curve It has been faultless. Bite the bullet, good luck

Reactions: jonthecourier
I have been flying the Mavic 2 Zoom since last November without a hitch. This is a great unit and I would strongly recommend it to anyone that enjoys trouble-free (IMHO) flying. Good luck on your choice.

Reactions: Greenflash
The way I look at it it's like a car there in production made by the 1000s and we get recalls but in the drone industry you can't recall them you do a firmware update hoping not to many people get the problem but there's that 1 in every 100 that may crash or burn out an ESC.Whats nice in today drones we can tell if it's user error or the manufacturers if it manufactures fault and you can retrieve the drone they replace it if it's your fault well we know who to blame.....

Hmmmm....Interesting, I've owned 5 other drones from DJI before buying the Mavic 2 Pro and for ME it's the greatest one period. Not a single disconnect or loss of transmission. Incredibly reliable and stable.

boreynoldsradio on Youtube

Reactions: Greenflash
Been flying my M2P since December 2018. Had it ask me to calibrate the front vision sensors once, but it has been flawless otherwise.

It could be a combination of new drone/new skills for everyone in a relatively short time + surge of new customers to the new product. People with untroubled drone flights are less likely to post about it than those who encounter problems. ;)

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore