DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

prop cover on when not flying?

Reactions
Just curious how you all store your Mini. Whenever it's not flying, do you fold it up, and put the prop cover and gimbal cover on? I'm not sure how much pressure the cover puts on the blades, but if it were left on for long time, could it warp them, or is this not something to worry about?

Just curious how you all store your Mini. Whenever it's not flying, do you fold it up, and put the prop cover and gimbal cover on? I'm not sure how much pressure the cover puts on the blades, but if it were left on for long time, could it warp them, or is this not something to worry about?
The gimbal cover goes on as soon as the drone is switched off. That's what it's for. I leave the props loose, but I have a hard case that doesn't put a lot of pressure on them.

The prop guard that came with my Mini 2 hardly puts any pressure on the blades, it is designed in such a way for this not to be an issue. Guess DJI would not package them up with the guard on (which they do in the fly more combo) if it were to cause damage as some of these packages will sit on warehouse/shop shelves for many months at a time.

I always store mine with the prop guard and gimbal guard on without issue so far.

Thanks. I was mainly curious about the prop cover because I had a problem when my drone was brand new. I took it out of the box, started it up for a test flight, and it sounded like one of the props was hitting the frame. I powered down, sort of wiggled the prop a bit, and restarted. This time it seemed OK, so I took off and hovered a few feet off the ground (in my house). Suddenly, I saw a black blur, and the drone descended rapidly. Turns out, a prop broke and went flying off.

Not sure if the prop was damaged from the factory, of if maybe it was somehow already bent, and the action of striking the body weakened it enough to fly off. I replaced both props on that motor with spares, and it seems fine now, but understandably, I'm a little paranoid. I've never had this sort of thing happen with a drone before.

Reactions: slup
...it is designed in such a way for this not to be an issue. Guess DJI would not package them up with the guard on (which they do in the fly more combo) if it were to cause damage...
I'm sorry but have to disagree with that after investigating numerous of cases of "uncommanded descents" for the Mini 1 caused by deformed props & DJI's advised way of folding & stack the props together.

... I'm not sure how much pressure the cover puts on the blades, but if it were left on for long time, could it warp them, or is this not something to worry about?
It's absolutely a risk ... and even a small deformation or flattening not immediately obvious by just looking at them can lessen the thrust that make it stay airborne.

The problem with deformed props took epidemic dimensions a couple month after the release for the Mini 1 here at the forum ... the consequence was Mini's that was falling out of the sky due to flattened props, not able to generate enough thrust even with motor rpm's on max. Much of the blame goes to the way DJI proposed (& still does) the props to be folded in the Fly More combo case.

If you want to sure nothing is deforming them ... keep the props off the AC or store the Mini 2 unfolded in a book shelf. Keep the gimbal cover on though ... it will protect the delicate mechanics.

I'm sorry but have to disagree with that after investigating numerous of cases of "uncommanded descents" for the Mini 1 caused by deformed props & DJI's advised way of folding & stack the props together.

It's absolutely a risk ... and even a small deformation or flattening not immediately obvious by just looking at them can lessen the thrust that make it stay airborne.

The problem with deformed props took epidemic dimensions a couple month after the release for the Mini 1 here at the forum ... the consequence was Mini's that was falling out of the sky due to flattened props, not able to generate enough thrust even with motor rpm's on max. Much of the blame goes to the way DJI proposed (& still does) the props to be folded in the Fly More combo case.

If you want to sure nothing is deforming them ... keep the props off the AC or store the Mini 2 unfolded in a book shelf. Keep the gimbal cover on though ... it will protect the delicate mechanics.
Thanks! This is good to know. I really think that's what happened to mine. I bet the prop was warped out of the box, but wasn't visible to the eye. However, when I first spun them up, it was enough that it hit the frame. Maybe there's some sort of third party prop cover I could get that doesn't put any pressure on the blades?

Reactions: shaneb50
Well I can only go on what I have on my Mini 2 and the supplied prop guard hardly touches the blades and certainly is not applying any pressure to them, it is only stopping them flapping about while storing. If it was applying pressure then I would not use it.

I am happy with this that no damage is being caused and will continue to use it as intended.

Reactions: raymairjr
PJordan, for curiosity's sake would you set your mini on a flat table, with the rear props in the position in which they sit in your guard and then photography the drone, side on, so that what it is sitting on can be seen. Then post the photo on here?
Is the surface on which the drone sits in the guard flat or stepped or ramped?
It might also be useful to photograph the front props, in their storage position, but with the strap off so that any clearances between the blades and the drone's body can be seen and then again with the strap on, so that any change in clearances can be seen.
Thanks

Reactions: raymairjr
I looked at mine closely, and the prop cover does exert a bit of pressure on the blades when they are tucked in, but it doesn't seem to be anything major. If I place it on a flat surface with the arms folded in and the blades underneath (without the cover on) they get pushed up a bit, too. I guess the only surefire way it to leave it unfolded with the arms extended. Maybe if I were storing it long term, that's what I'd do.

Reactions: shaneb50
PJordan, for curiosity's sake would you set your mini on a flat table, with the rear props in the position in which they sit in your guard and then photography the drone, side on, so that what it is sitting on can be seen. Then post the photo on here?
Is the surface on which the drone sits in the guard flat or stepped or ramped?
It might also be useful to photograph the front props, in their storage position, but with the strap off so that any clearances between the blades and the drone's body can be seen and then again with the strap on, so that any change in clearances can be seen.
Thanks
Here are some photos, hope they are helpful. The first four are without prop strap and last three with. The prop strap is flat inside bottom. The strap loosely touches the props but no noticable pressure that I can detect. I am happy with this, sure you could leave the drone out in an unfolded state.

20210116_145120897_iOS.jpg20210116_145242296_iOS.jpg20210116_145317527_iOS.jpg20210116_145331589_iOS.jpg20210116_145348205_iOS.jpg20210116_145458586_iOS.jpg20210116_145512891_iOS.jpg20210116_150148710_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
ALWAYS gimbal cover off at last moment before powering on, ALWAY on immediately when done flying.
Attach a red ribbon to the cover so you cannot miss it.
Never bother with prop cover, just be careful and deliberate when handling etc, should be totally fine, it’s only carelessness that will damage them?

note; I would use one if the a/c was being carried loose eg in a jacket or rucksack,

Reactions: PJordan and Rich QR
Here are some photos, hope they are helpful. The first four are without prop strap and last three with. The prop strap is flat inside bottom. The strap loosely touches the props but no noticable pressure that I can detect. I am happy with this, sure you could leave the drone out in an unfolded state.

View attachment 121824View attachment 121825View attachment 121826View attachment 121827View attachment 121828View attachment 121830View attachment 121831View attachment 121832
Nice pictures

Reactions: PJordan
74F06CAB-01FB-447D-ADBF-7792B80B445A.jpegYou can get a case, big enough to keep it always unfolded.... happy flying

Thanks. Yeah, the case looks nice. I had something similar for my Phantom, but IMO, the beauty of this Mini is the size. I've been transporting it in the carrying case that came with it, and fitting everything I need into something the size of a small lunchbox is phenomenal.

Reactions: PJordan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143