DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Error

Evertondennis

Reactions
Just testing a set of Master Airscrew propellers on my Mavic Air, firstly they are quieter, works well in sport mode as well as normal mode, also noticed that I get a little more battery time but seeing where I am getting a error message on my screen saying "Motor current error, check your propellers and fly with caution. Running the latest firmware.

Attachments

• Prop error.jpg
    Prop error.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 147
Just testing a set of Master Airscrew propellers on my Mavic Air, firstly they are quieter, works well in sport mode as well as normal mode, also noticed that I get a little more battery time but seeing where I am getting a error message on my screen saying "Motor current error, check your propellers and fly with caution. Running the latest firmware.

Turn your throttle gain down to 90. If you get it again turn it down to 80. You have increased the thrust to wright ratio substantially so you have So you have to account for this.

Reactions: John Kyte
This video shows how to make those changes in DJI GO:

So the Master Airscrews made that much of a difference?

Did made the gain adjustment and everything looking good now. And yes Master Airscrew does make a difference, its quieter, does not have the sound of a swarm of bee anymore and as I earlier mentioned I see a little more battery time.

Reactions: SixStringer1000
This video shows how to make those changes in DJI GO:

Only thing I would correct is that it’s unnecessary to do the other gains besides throttle. The throttle gain is adjusted then there is a change in thrust or a change in weight. All the other gains have to do with inertia. Because the props change the thrust but not the inertia it’s not necessary to change to change pitch, roll, or yaw.

You have to think manual mode to wrap your head around this where the throttle is completely independent of the pitch roll and yaw. Since we typically fly in Atti mode(includes GPS positioning) a change in pitch or roll causes the flight controller to apply throttle for us automatically and I think this is where the genesis of this confusion comes from.

Only thing I would correct is that it’s unnecessary to do the other gains besides throttle. The throttle gain is adjusted then there is a change in thrust or a change in weight. All the other gains have to do with inertia. Because the props change the thrust but not the inertia it’s not necessary to change to change pitch, roll, or yaw.

You have to think manual mode to wrap your head around this where the throttle is completely independent of the pitch roll and yaw. Since we typically fly in Atti mode(includes GPS positioning) a change in pitch or roll causes the flight controller to apply throttle for us automatically and I think this is where the genesis of this confusion comes from.
Do we really fly in Atti mode? Does that include pmode? Just curious what you meant by that.

The reason to adjust the other sensitivities is due to the IMU now having to deal with more thrust and higher pitched props than it did before. The master air screws are higher pitched and therefore produce more thrust in every direction aside from just straight up Depending on the attitude of the aircraft.

Reactions: zzxrox
it seems that the MAS props because of their design,are going to influence the way the IMU controls the aircraft,the settings are optimised for the OEM props so it should not be a surprise if it senses an issue, the main thing to remember is that the changes are noted down before and after so things can be returned to original at some later date.there are many settings that can be altered to influence the flight characteristics of the mav and thats what makes it a great machine

Just so you know, I still get the motor error even after changing the gain levels to 80%. One day I'll spend the entire day trying to dial in the perfect balance but right now I just don't have the time. From my flight logs it seems when I decelerate and drop altitude is when I get the error but it doesn't happen all the time. At any rate, I still fly the MAS props.

Hi
Just fitted the airscrews and turned all the gains down to 80 but still getting error massage in sport mode. Will this damage the mavic Air?

Terry

Do we really fly in Atti mode? Does that include pmode? Just curious what you meant by that.

The reason to adjust the other sensitivities is due to the IMU now having to deal with more thrust and higher pitched props than it did before. The master air screws are higher pitched and therefore produce more thrust in every direction aside from just straight up Depending on the attitude of the aircraft.

Yea you fly in Atti mode. P-mode is attitude stabilized GPS/vision positioning mode.

The aircraft only provides thrust in one direction I know you know that.

Edit: I realize now you are already saying that the thrust angle only changes in relation to the earth not the aircraft.

Last edited:
If stti and p mode are the same. Why is there a swirch?

Because one has positioning and the other does not. They both however are attitude stabilized. It’s kinda like the difference between P-mode and Sport mode. Is there a switch that changes from one mode to the other? Yes. Do both modes have GPS-Positioning. Yes they do.

Sport mode is a type of GPS positioning mode just like P mode is a type of Atti- mode. Sport mode is also a type of atti-mode. To finally drive this point home if you look at a flight log the aircraft log calls P-GPS mode “GPS_Atti.”

You have to think RC helli or FPV racing quad for the purpose of this conversation about gains. Better yet let’s simplify it to automobiles.

The way I apply throttle and brake to my car depends on my engine transmission and brakes. Let’s for simplicity take transmission out of the equation and just talk about engine and brakes. If I install a more powerful engine in my car to drive the same way as before I have to adjust the way I apply throttle because if I didn’t with the new engine I would accelerate too quickly to drive the same way as before. This however doesn’t change the way I apply brake because I have only changed the thrust of the car not the inertia.

But if I’m driving around with a car full of people and a trunk full of sand bags this will change not only the way I apply throttle but also my braking because I have changed the inertia of my vehicle but not the thrust to compensate.

Does this make any more sense?

Last edited:
I disagree with realignment. The unblessed increased pitch is already wrong being forced upon high rpm torque in lieu low rpm torque necessary for increased pitch. The strained low rpm indifference amongst quad imparts rotational countertorque reactionary forces onto aircraft. Gets even worse during navigation changes, that instantaneous transient redirecting thrust from unidentical quad rpm moments.

I disagree with realignment. The unblessed increased pitch is already wrong being forced upon high rpm torque in lieu low rpm torque necessary for increased pitch. The strained low rpm indifference amongst quad imparts rotational countertorque reactionary forces onto aircraft. Gets even worse during navigation changes, that instantaneous transient redirecting thrust from unidentical quad rpm moments.

I think we are saying the same thing but if you could say it again in simplistic terms I think that would much appreciated

Stock motors have inadequate low rpm torque to accommodate larger pitched propulse.
Its like putting on huge racing slicks on a stock pancake motor vw beetle 1600cc?

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000