DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop sliced into housing!

Yuvi

Reactions
Hey guys,
Almost lost my Mavic over the ocean a couple of days ago. Unfortunately I didn’t get any video of the final minute. On the display it looked like the Mavic had flipped over and then started behaving extremely erratic making crazy sounds. Immediately I flew towards land and me while the drone did the craziest twists and turns. It was only barely controlled and I managed to land it while it kept on doing scary sounds. Upon first inspection I could see that a prop had sliced into the housing of the drone. Fortunately the blade didn’t brake, otherwise the drone would be lost at sea. Luckily I have a Care Refresh still active.
Has anybody ever seen anything like it? The props were rather new and had no indication of any issues prior to take off.

Attachments

• 12933CCF-3413-4A1A-B4C9-53D90403CDCD.jpeg
    12933CCF-3413-4A1A-B4C9-53D90403CDCD.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 301
  • E7667576-0F93-42AB-A82A-FC728FDD115F.jpeg
    E7667576-0F93-42AB-A82A-FC728FDD115F.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 301
The props on these things are a lot stronger than many would think. An associate of mine who's a little behind on common sense, once decided it would be good to start up his inspire1 inside my living room after unboxing. He lost control and it crashed into my computer and sliced all the cables behind it in half, including the power cord. Lots of sparks ensued. I could see these things taking someone's finger off. I think people are a bit crazy for landing these on their hands.

The props on these things are a lot stronger than many would think. An associate of mine who's a little behind on common sense, once decided it would be good to start up his inspire1 inside my living room after unboxing. He lost control and it crashed into my computer and sliced all the cables behind it in half, including the power cord. Lots of sparks ensued. I could see these things taking someone's finger off. I think people are a bit crazy for landing these on their hands.

Every village has one...!

Hi Photogad
I think that if you know what you are doing, and are a reasonably proficient pilot, then hand catching and release is not so dangerous, for some people especially on boats etc hand catching/release is one of the few options they have.

That said take care....
Waylander

Around 800 flight, at least 600 from hand and landing in hand.
Start motors in P-Mode, before Takeoff, switch to T-Mode, very smooth start, alvays land in T-Mode.
No problem.

Around 800 flight, at least 600 from hand and landing in hand.
Start motors in P-Mode, before Takeoff, switch to T-Mode, very smooth start, alvays land in T-Mode.
No problem.
T mode does not make it safer. The drone still responds to gust and surprises you as quickly as it does in P mode

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
Hey guys,
Almost lost my Mavic over the ocean a couple of days ago. Unfortunately I didn’t get any video of the final minute. On the display it looked like the Mavic had flipped over and then started behaving extremely erratic making crazy sounds. Immediately I flew towards land and me while the drone did the craziest twists and turns. It was only barely controlled and I managed to land it while it kept on doing scary sounds. Upon first inspection I could see that a prop had sliced into the housing of the drone. Fortunately the blade didn’t brake, otherwise the drone would be lost at sea. Luckily I have a Care Refresh still active.
Has anybody ever seen anything like it? The props were rather new and had no indication of any issues prior to take off.
I checked mine the other day and it looks very close to the body but not hitting yet.

Pls provide the .DAT and .TXT flight log files in the phone by following this guide : Flight log retrieval and analysis guide .

It is highly unlikely that the drone has flipped over because the motors would have stopped automatically if that has happened.

It may or may not have flipped in this case, but it's not that simple. These drones are designed to recover from various kinds of flight excursions, especially caused by collisions. The motors don't stop in mid-air just because the aircraft inverts - the controller requires longer period of steady excessive tilt than typically happens in the air.

It may or may not have flipped in this case, but it's not that simple. These drones are designed to recover from various kinds of flight excursions, especially caused by collisions. The motors don't stop in mid-air just because the aircraft inverts - the controller requires longer period of steady excessive tilt than typically happens in the air.

Mine stops immediately once the aircraft reaches a certain bank angle which is how I kill the motors on just about every flight.

Keep in mind I'm flying a Mavic Pro Platinum with old firmware though.

Mine stops immediately once the aircraft reaches a certain bank angle which is how I kill the motors on just about every flight.

Keep in mind I'm flying a Mavic Pro Platinum with old firmware though.

Yes - that works if you are holding it, but it won't just shut down mid-air when something knocks it off balance.

Hi Photogad
I think that if you know what you are doing, and are a reasonably proficient pilot, then hand catching and release is not so dangerous, for some people especially on boats etc hand catching/release is one of the few options they have.

That said take care....
Waylander

I agree. I’ve hand launched/landed lots, and I’ve never had a issue with it. As @waylander said, hand launching/landing is the only way to fly from a boat. The main thing is to be careful of the props. It’s easy to hand land and even easier to hand launch. Thumbswayup[emoji106][emoji16]

If I am too lazy for standing up I am even catching my Mavic Pro and/or Mini while sitting on a chair. Never had a problem within last 3,5 years of owning Mavics and also no problem before when doing this with Phantom 2.

Reactions: TTP
T mode does not make it safer. The drone still responds to gust and surprises you as quickly as it does in P mode

I fly my M2P a lot in the forest, sometimes cramped for space, then T-Mode helps TakeOff within a bubble of about 2 feet, in P-Mode the bubble is at least 3 times larger.You do not have the hand on the right Joystic until the drone is in the air, in other words, it can move much longer in P-Mode than in T-Mode.

I fly in almost all weather wind, rain, snow, this winter we have been exceptionally windy, therefore for safety reasons I always have TakeOff in T-Mode.

I fly my M2P a lot in the forest, sometimes cramped for space, then T-Mode helps TakeOff within a bubble of about 2 feet, in P-Mode the bubble is at least 3 times larger.You do not have the hand on the right Joystic until the drone is in the air, in other words, it can move much longer in P-Mode than in T-Mode.

I fly in almost all weather wind, rain, snow, this winter we have been exceptionally windy, therefore for safety reasons I always have TakeOff in T-Mode.
That’s interesting. I need to check it out as I always use P-mode without any issues.

I hit a Joshua Tree in the desert in full on sport mode. I had no idea it had hit the tree until watching the video later. It looked like it could have rolled. There was no noticeable damage to my Mavic Air. I had LOS..in a way..I was also watching the screen and hadn't see the collision. There was no one around and it was in a very remote area but watching that video and seeing the approaching collision has changed my mind about sport mode at low Altitudes.
I bring this up because I think my Mavic Air was momentarily inverted and suffered no damage from either the tree or the extremely erratic flight.
I hand catch 99 percent of the time with zero problems.....however.. ....props can sting ..I tried to snatch my spark our of the air once while indoors because it had stopped obeying my hand gestures..( I had no idea what I was doing) the Spark was not having it...ouch!

Reactions: TTP
Wow, I would not want to be in the same room as an out of control Inspire. Juggling running chainsaws would be preferable ...

Reactions: BullDoggBoyz
Wow, I would not want to be in the same room as an out of control Inspire. Juggling running chainsaws would be preferable ...

Yeah! This was in 2014! I didn't have any experience with drones at that point and even asked him as he was starting it up, "are you sure it's a good idea to turn that thing on inside?" To which he assured me all would be fine.

It was that, and a lot of other dumb things he did with his inspire (crashing into a 200ft water tower and climbing up it to retrieve the gimbal, flying it inside a church during a wedding, etc) that "inspired" me to become a drone pilot myself in 2017.

Reactions: Pietros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000