DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Wash effects close to walls - Canal Crash

JohanMalm

Reactions
Hovering close to walls can create something like prop wash which this video is an evidence on. The props closest to the wall dipped and the drone got sucked into the wall. The propeller guards was not much usefull (see the damage in the end of the video). I think that the trick is to keep up speed when flying in deep canals :)

I didn't dare to climb down on the ice in a deep canal, but I manage to turn the drone upright by a fishing rod and a fish line and then restart the drone. And it flied in spite of the very damaged propellers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

why?

Not everyone wants to fly or film out in the open. I like flying in a local wood. More precision is needed and RTH will get you tangled in a tree as will landing if the battery loses power.

Reactions: JohanMalm
Not everyone wants to fly or film out in the open. I like flying in a local wood. More precision is needed and RTH will get you tangled in a tree as will landing if the battery loses power.
Set RTH to hover when flying under trees.

Hovering close to walls can create something like prop wash which this video is an evidence on. The props closest to the wall dipped and the drone got sucked into the wall. The propeller guards was not much usefull (see the damage in the end of the video). I think that the trick is to keep up speed when flying in deep canals :)

I didn't dare to climb down on the ice in a deep canal, but I manage to turn the drone upright by a fishing rod and a fish line and then restart the drone. And it flied in spite of the very damaged propellers.
You will also get sucked to the ceiling if you get too close to it. Another thing to worry about is you may lose GPS in a deep cut like that. Congrats for getting it back in working order.

Set RTH to hover when flying under trees.
As I posted back in June 2017. When flying in a wood the last thing that you want to happen is for the drone to fly under its own control. There is a canopy above and trees,and bushes between the drone and the home point.

The effect you mention may be real very close to the wall, but I'm not sure that it was the cause of the flight instability that led to the lateral drifting in the first place. It would be interesting to get the aircraft or mobile device DAT files to examine the IMU data.

Wow.. nice recovery.. I must admit.. my *** would have been down there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851