DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop won’t lock

Wersh

Reactions
Searched but couldn’t find anything, I’d anyone see’s please link would hate to have an unnecessary post.
But went to swap out my blades after getting new ones and I started having trouble inserting it. It would go in and twist but would not lock. I tried the prop that I originally took out and now it is doing the same thing.
They will look as if locked but a slight push and it flys off. Anyone who just got it would’ve launched with it and would’ve only had 3 blades active.
I can’t seem to find a fix?

Reactions: ross4443
I did a quick search and didn't find anything either. Pictures of the prop hub and motor would help.

The prop hub should look like this (except your props should be attached ;)) with none of the feet broken or cracked:
20170905_151353[1].jpg 20170905_151501[1].jpg

The lock on the motor is a plastic part and spring held on by three tiny screws. If you remove it, it should look like this:
20170828_135613[1].jpg

BOTTOM
20170828_135628[1].jpg

Make sure you are pushing the prop hub all the way down and turning the motor all the way to a stop. If you're not getting the feet on the hub all the way into the locks (last picture), the prop won't stay on.

That's what happens when you try to put in the wrong prop direction... or the mount is broken.

That's what happens when you try to put in the wrong prop direction
Good point.

I imagine you already know all this, but here is what it looks like under the locking ring when a prop is correctly seated:
20170905_152845[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Good point.

I imagine you already know all this, but here is what it looks like under the locking ring when a prop is correctly seated:
View attachment 21244

I found a piece of plastic lodged in there, grabbed tweezers and got it out, everything fits perfect now. Thanks for showing me the pics. Saved myself the hassle of DJI “repair”
94ab94f5ecb54f2adb834aa713093b78.jpg
1a3eba428ad174601e62c1b36a829661.jpg

Reactions: twctracker
I found a piece of plastic lodged in there, grabbed tweezers and got it out, everything fits perfect now. Thanks for showing me the pics. Saved myself the hassle of DJI “repair”
94ab94f5ecb54f2adb834aa713093b78.jpg
1a3eba428ad174601e62c1b36a829661.jpg
Looks like a leg that broke off a propeller hub. Did you check all your propellers?

Reactions: Wersh
I had a new set and one was chipped, I’m sure it was that one. But yes def looked like a prop leg. Little f*ckker wouldn’t let me fly

I did a quick search and didn't find anything either. Pictures of the prop hub and motor would help.

The prop hub should look like this (except your props should be attached ;)) with none of the feet broken or cracked:
View attachment 21240 View attachment 21241

The lock on the motor is a plastic part and spring held on by three tiny screws. If you remove it, it should look like this:
View attachment 21242

BOTTOM
View attachment 21243

Make sure you are pushing the prop hub all the way down and turning the motor all the way to a stop. If you're not getting the feet on the hub all the way into the locks (last picture), the prop won't stay on.
Thanks for this! Saved me from a bad day. I crashed the other day while landing. Wind blew it into a car and wrecked a couple blades. No biggie. So I replaced the blades and off I go. Basically a test flight. Made it about 6ft up and 6ft out before it crashed. While putting new blades again I noticed one felt off? So I played around and found it wasn't locking in. (Didn't notice the last time) I fiddled around with it and sure enough I read your post and got out the tools. Sure enough there was a piece lodged in one of holes.
This was of course why I crashed the second time. The blade just flew off!!!
I'll be adding "Check Blades" to my Pre Flight light list.....

My problem was the propellers. Apparently there are different kinds of propellers that fit. I just now used some extra propellers from a bundle kit I bought a long time ago because I was panning my drone around me while I was walking. Unfortunately the obstacle sensors are not also on the side so it crashed into some tree branches leaving me to switch out the propellers. One of the propellers didn't fit so I simply used another set.

Wow I need to check mine. I just got a new one for Christmas from my wife and daughter. Opened the new box and removed the drone which had two props already attached and went to install the other two props. One went on fine the last one will push all the way down but I can’t twist the locking mechanism. Looks normal didn’t see anything in the way. Put it back in the box and now waiting to get home so I can take it back to Best Buy

Thanks for sharing this. I recently had a minor crash while landing in a tight area (pure laziness on my part, but I blame the collision avoidance), and I just tried to put the replacement propellers in and one of them wouldn't go in. Sure enough, there was a little piece of black plastic which I am assuming was from the old blade and once I took it out with tweezers, the new propeller snapped in perfectly.

I was convinced I was sending it back to DJI for repair which I was really unhappy about, so thanks so much for posting this as it saved me a ton of trouble and probably some cash too!!

Thank you for the valuable information. Exactly what I found with your tip!
Easy fix. Looks like the allen wrench size is a metric 1.5mm to pull the 3 screws off the prop hub.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000