DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller Guards - Pro' & Con's

AerialsRus

Reactions
New to drones - have reviewed posts for propeller guards. Obviously the guards are meant to protect the blades, but does their installation cause associated problems - vibrations, advanced settings, and etc.. I am not concerned about additional noise.

New to drones - have reviewed posts for propeller guards. Obviously the guards are meant to protect the blades, but does their installation cause associated problems - vibrations, advanced settings, and etc.. I am not concerned about additional noise.

PRO: fabulous "full dress" appearance according to the female owner (also with white lens hood)

CON: Lost air time about 25% compared to without them, e.g. 15 minutes instead 20 to go from 100% to 30% charge -- that 's for the Mavic Pro Alpine White using white guards purchased on Amazon (white not available thru DJI).

Reactions: AerialsRus
I have the DJI ones. Easy to take on and off and no change to flight characteristics that I can tell, but I don’t push it from a performance perspective. Definitely seems to take off some battery life, and they won’t fit in the flymore case. I just tuck them in the circular bag that holds my landing pad.

Reactions: AerialsRus
Thanks for feedback. Do you think guards help as protection when landing on grassy or other surfaces, or running into trim limbs?

For landing, no. I’d suggest a landing pad or leg extensions. They may help with tree limbs if you hit on the side or below but if you hit directly from the front or the rear, they could actually channel the branch into the props depending on how you hit it and how big it is. Won’t protect at all if you hit on top as they’re below the props. I basically don’t expect them to do much for smaller branches. I’m speaking only for the DJI brand as that’s what I have.

For landing, no. I’d suggest a landing pad or leg extensions. They may help with tree limbs if you hit on the side or below but if you hit directly from the front or the rear, they could actually channel the branch into the props depending on how you hit it and how big it is. Won’t protect at all if you hit on top as they’re below the props. I basically don’t expect them to do much for smaller branches. I’m speaking only for the DJI brand as that’s what I have.

The prop guards work ok for warding off solid objects like walls,
I have had the Mavic hanging off tree branches 50 feet above the ground several times because the guards hook on tree branches. I dislike having to cut down trees just to get the drone back.

Yep, when indoors. I will only use them outdoors when in tight spaces for slow shots.

I fly indoors a lot. Always use prop guards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123