DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

props are showing up in photos and videos

PilotSmith

Reactions
props are showing up in photos and videos
You can see from the photos below how the props are showing up in my photos and videos can someone please help with this
forum.php

If pointing the camera into the sun that will happen although those are not props but shadows of the props. Make sure that your settings in the Gimbal menu do not allow the camera to point up further than normal.

Reactions: dewster
If you're not using ND filters, you likely will not be able to slow the shutter down enough to prevent prop shadows in your videos. Without filters, you could try to work around it by shooting when the sun is behind your Mavic (and not directly above it).

what settings should I have..

Camera Settings > Advanced Settings > Enable Upwards Gimbal Tilt Limit to 30 Degrees, should be turned off to help prevent what you are seeing. Using an ND filter could help as well as keeping the shutter speed twice the FPS for video.

Is this something that only Mavics suffer from? I have the same issue with my Air and someone said the other day that the wind is also the cause of this. I'm truly confused here that there is a product that you would use the make stills and video, but you would have the product itself photobomb the shot. Is this simply bad design?

Is this something that only Mavics suffer from? I have the same issue with my Air and someone said the other day that the wind is also the cause of this. I'm truly confused here that there is a product that you would use the make stills and video, but you would have the product itself photobomb the shot. Is this simply bad design?

No, as FDS said above, it's the shadows of the prop, cast across the lens, so any UAV where the camera is below the props can potentially cause this problem when looking towards the sun. There's potential that in higher wind, the frame is at a sharper angle to compensate, which could worsen the effect, as the angle between props and camera changes.

No, as FDS said above, it's the shadows of the prop, cast across the lens, so any UAV where the camera is below the props can potentially cause this problem when looking towards the sun. There's potential that in higher wind, the frame is at a sharper angle to compensate, which could worsen the effect, as the angle between props and camera changes.
I missed the shadow thing. Now everything is kind of making more and more sense ;-). Thanks!

No, the Phantoms will also do it. However, you have to realize that there are limitations to the tools, and you must choose accordingly. Most of the time the props will not be in the shot, but when you're trying to fly 20-30mph into a headwind or crosswind, you cannot possibly expect a perfect shot. If you want high-speed video capabilities, you need a drone like the Inspire or the Yuneec, which has retractable landing gears, higher props, and a 360 camera.

Also, if you're flying with the sun at an angle where it goes across the props, it's going to block the rays on each revolution, and that appears in the video like shadows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots