DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Props Cut And Hurt... Right of Passage Or just Stupidity? LOL

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So this is minor thing but my first time getting nicked by a prop... I pretty much only hand land these days and I was talking to a person I was shooting something for an not paying as good as attention to my hands as i usually do.... Happened quick and I nicked my finger on the spinning prop.. Nothing serious but enough to give me a good cut on the finger, bloodied up and a little stinging reminder for the next day or so I imagine (right now as I type with the finger).

Got me thinking. Have you cut yourself minor or major in this hobby?

Also. just a friendly safety moment for my fellow drone pilots who get complacent hand landing like me today...

Cheers!

Last edited:
So this is minor thing but my first time getting nicked by a prop... I pretty much only hand land these days and I was talking to a person I was shooting something for an not paying as good as attention to my hands as i usually do.... Happened quick and I nicked my finger on the spinning prop.. Nothing serious but enough to give me a good cut on the finger, bloodied up and a little stinging reminder for the next day or so I imagine (right now as I type with he finger).

Also. just a friendly safety moment for my fellow drone pilots who get complacent hand landing like me today...

Cheers!

The problem with hand catching is that it really demands 100% focus and that makes it a sketchy every time your environment changes and even at 95% focus you can get cut.
One thing you begin to notice as you continue to Hand Catch is how many close calls you had but saved. Fly enough and eventually your Focus wanders or is taken away by people, kids, cars, wind, rain, or the sun and the price is paid.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

The problem with hand catching is that it really demands 100% focus and that makes it a sketchy every time your environment changes and even at 95% focus you can get cut.
One thing you begin to notice as you continue to Hand Catch is how many close calls you had but saved. Fly enough and eventually your Focus wanders or is taken away by people, kids, cars, wind, rain, or the sun and the price is paid.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Yah no joke, i may start to land where i can again i had zero reason to hand catch this time lol.

not me but
also
I have actually seen this before lol... All I am going to say is I didn't hit myself in the face OR FALL OFF A TRACTOR!

Hi, Yep I learnt my lesson the hard way trying to hand catch my MA2 on my second flight, not paying enough attention on how to do it correctly on YouTube. This was the result from trying to hand catch from above instead of below. Has taken nearly two months to heal. Hasn’t deterred me though. I enjoy hand launching & catching regularly now without issue.
DBB42089-8DC7-45C4-A641-94FFA914F6F7.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: gb160
I've never even attempted a hand launch let alone a catch. Luckily I fly in areas that are flat (welcome to Florida) and I always use my landing pad.
I find hand ? launching is easier than catching. When I say “easier” it is relatively less stressful!

Reactions: VenomXts
I actually did cut my finger - first day - first flight of the MA2 I purchased. Totally stupid thing for me to do - not even sure how I did it - but I have been much more careful ever since and will always try to remember how much that hurt and how badly I bled after it happened. Sorry - no pics. :) Luckily, no stitches were needed - but it was close...

Reactions: VenomXts
As a guitarist, I try to look out for my hands and fingers. My MM has never touched terra firma, and I don't use a pad...only my hand, and always from underneath, never from the top. I try to maintain sharp focus on task at hand while flying, but especially when launching and recovering! This is one of those lessons I don't want to learn "the hard way"!

I don't actually "catch" my drone, or even land it in my hand. I hover it near me, then take hold of it and stop the motors.

Real birds require thick leather gloves. Them claws just dig right in. Usually just find a nice flat piece of ground to land on. Easier that way.

I don't actually "catch" my drone, or even land it in my hand. I hover it near me, then take hold of it and stop the motors.
this is how i would describe hand landing in my opinion.. Only way that makes sense... i mean you have it take off from a flat hand but no need to land it that way..

Reactions: Skyfall-0D2
So this is minor thing but my first time getting nicked by a prop... I pretty much only hand land these days and I was talking to a person I was shooting something for an not paying as good as attention to my hands as i usually do.... Happened quick and I nicked my finger on the spinning prop.. Nothing serious but enough to give me a good cut on the finger, bloodied up and a little stinging reminder for the next day or so I imagine (right now as I type with the finger).

Cheers!
I do hand and catch land Good thing he is Mavic Mini but still need 100% focus on H & C land. Stay safe and enjoy flying

Thats how I learned to do it, grasp the body from underneath and kill the motors.

Can kill the motors if it is just idling there and hasn't taken off yet, just by pushing down on the left stick and not the emergency stop used to start it up.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots