DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Props hitting long grass- long term problems?

Garfieldg

Reactions
After a flight using leg extenders today I had no choice but to land in medium length dry grass (which I had stamped down to take off!). Predictably the props connected with the grass stopping the motors. After a quick clean everything looked ok but I wonder if this abrupt end harms the motors long term or does the fact that the Mavic stops the motors protect them?

Many thanks.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The Mavic actually does not stop the motors, the grass probably did.

I would be very careful on your next few flights. Turn all the motors by hand to see if there is a difference in resistance between the 4.

The Mavic actually does not stop the motors, the grass probably did.

I would be very careful on your next few flights. Turn all the motors by hand to see if there is a difference in resistance between the 4.
And start taking a landing pad with you (a car mat works great in a pinch), no more worrying about grass, dirt or gravel.

After reading all about drones being destroyed do to prop failures... I treat mine like gold.

You said that you prefer to hand launch in those situations. When hand launching, hand catching is appropriate most of the time because if the landing surface was not suitable for taking off, it's probably not suitable for landing either. (Long version)
I had to go back and re-read my post. I did—indeed—say that I both launch and catch by hand. In fact, I stated them as a pair (separated by a forward slash).

Get use to doing hand launch and retrieve it real is easy, gain confidence by starting in calm conditions and switch off landing protection . the drone will not fight you and settle easily! always launch and retrieve with your best hand and hold just above head height to avoid hair cuts:p Avoids prop and camera gimbal damage!!
Happy landings . Tim

Reactions: GS40
I’m yet to find a portable landing pad that will fit in a small case yet heavy enough to not move under the prop wash.

Landing pads are not good in uneven terrain. I fly from sides of hills, mountainous areas, and rock ocean jetties. That’s why I’ve learned to hand launch and catch. It does take some practice, but well worth it. I’ve learned to catch it without turning off any of the sensors. It’s just that much easier not having to worry about those settings. Just keep in mind that doing it by hand is not for everybody.

Use mine in long grass it folds up into around 14 inch diameter fits into small haversack with fly more case works well for me but in rocky terrain might be not mutch use

Another reason to hand launch/catch every time - it guarantees you do not run into things like this and is a very simple/gentle process.

Even if the ground is flat, dust/debris get kicked up during every landing and you do not want any of that near the vents, motors, lenses, the gimbal, etc. Sand is the worst.

Landing pads are annoying to carry around, don't work well if the ground isn't completely flat, and if there is any wind they blow away if they aren't staked into the ground. A giant bright orange pad at your feet also makes flying a lot more conspicuous, which is rarely an advantage.

Reactions: timbo9397
Get use to doing hand launch and retrieve it real is easy, gain confidence by starting in calm conditions and switch off landing protection . the drone will not fight you and settle easily! always launch and retrieve with your best hand and hold just above head height to avoid hair cuts:p Avoids prop and camera gimbal damage!!
Happy landings . Tim

You don't ever need to manually switch off the downward sensors for a hand landing - after 3 seconds of full left stick down, the drone automatically disables them and very slowly/gently descends into your hand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+