DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Props iced up!

Ray Dunakin

Reactions
I usually fly in the desert, and very rarely in freezing cold conditions. But recently I've had the opportunity to make a couple trips to the mountains during snow storms. I had lots of successful flights without any problems.

However, on one flight with my Mavic Pro I found out what happens when the props ice up. It was foggy, with the temperature right at freezing.

The drone was about a 1/4 mile away when I started getting some strange error messages. First was a message that said something about motor voltage and "check the props". A moment later I got a big red message that said something like, "over-voltage battery discharge" (I don't recall the exact wording).

I had already started to bring the drone back but right after that last message came up, the drone suddenly wobbled a bit and began dropping rapidly. I tried to aim it for a small clearing between the trees, and luckily that's where it went down. It came down on soft snow and somehow flipped over on its back but was unharmed.

When I found the drone it had ice crusted on the underside and trailing edges of the props. I removed the ice and tried out the drone again, and it was fine.

After that I moved to a different area and didn't have any further icing problems.

The experience was a bit alarming, mainly because I was worried it might end up in the top of a tree. But it was also rather interesting, and fortunately no harm was done.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: JimCanada
Pretty known phenomena flying in fog around freezing point ... I'm avoiding to get airborne in those conditions.

Reactions: JimCanada
I usually fly in the desert, and very rarely in freezing cold conditions. But recently I've had the opportunity to make a couple trips to the mountains during snow storms. I had lots of successful flights without any problems.

However, on one flight with my Mavic Pro I found out what happens when the props ice up. It was foggy, with the temperature right at freezing.

The drone was about a 1/4 mile away when I started getting some strange error messages. First was a message that said something about motor voltage and "check the props". A moment later I got a big red message that said something like, "over-voltage battery discharge" (I don't recall the exact wording).

I had already started to bring the drone back but right after that last message came up, the drone suddenly wobbled a bit and began dropping rapidly. I tried to aim it for a small clearing between the trees, and luckily that's where it went down. It came down on soft snow and somehow flipped over on its back but was unharmed.

When I found the drone it had ice crusted on the underside and trailing edges of the props. I removed the ice and tried out the drone again, and it was fine.

After that I moved to a different area and didn't have any further icing problems.

The experience was a bit alarming, mainly because I was worried it might end up in the top of a tree. But it was also rather interesting, and fortunately no harm was done.

Has anyone else experienced this?
One reason why pilots de-ice planes and is a majoor cause of crashes in full sized aircraft, because airflow is interrupted. Its very risky for drones as they don't glide they just fall out of the sky.

Reactions: Fun Flyer
I have had numerous encounters with ice in fixed wing aircraft - ranging from trace to fairly severe - but I have never flown any of my UAV's in those conditions.

The most dangerous icing conditions for aircraft occur when operating in a sub-freezing air-mass with warmer air above, such as when a very strong warm front advances upon a cold front causing the warmer, moist air to ascend upward over the colder mass, resulting in rain eventually falling into the sub-freezing air below. Because the rain droplets are moving as they fall, they remain liquid until they collide with anything within the lower, cold air, and then they instantly freeze solid, resulting in rapid ice buildup on aircraft wings and other parts. Without de-icing abilities in these cases - such as heated leading edges or inflatable leading edge boots - things can get very dangerous very fast. Fortunately, in commercial aviation, ice is fairly well understood and can be mostly avoided at its worst.

If I had to fly a UAV in possible icing conditions - such as ice-fog as you encountered - I would probably wipe the props down with Rain-X or ski wax, hoping to mitigate the worst of it...

I have had numerous encounters with ice in fixed wing aircraft - ranging from trace to fairly severe - but I have never flown any of my UAV's in those conditions.

The most dangerous icing conditions for aircraft occur when operating in a sub-freezing air-mass with warmer air above, such as when a very strong warm front advances upon a cold front causing the warmer, moist air to ascend upward over the colder mass, resulting in rain eventually falling into the sub-freezing air below. Because the rain droplets are moving as they fall, they remain liquid until they collide with anything within the lower, cold air, and then they instantly freeze solid, resulting in rapid ice buildup on aircraft wings and other parts. Without de-icing abilities in these cases - such as heated leading edges or inflatable leading edge boots - things can get very dangerous very fast. Fortunately, in commercial aviation, ice is fairly well understood and can be mostly avoided at its worst.

If I had to fly a UAV in possible icing conditions - such as ice-fog as you encountered - I would probably wipe the props down with Rain-X or ski wax, hoping to mitigate the worst of it...
I had it happen when I was flying a waterfall and it was 6° out.The props had ice on the whole props. I got some really nice videos of the waterfall.

Reactions: Brockrock
I had it happen when I was flying a waterfall and it was 6° out.The props had ice on the whole props. I got some really nice videos of the waterfall.
Yeah. Same concept. The waterfall caused tiny water droplets to remain liquid until they met your props, and then ice. And, the more it builds up, the faster it builds up since the prop's surface area increases. That's why it's definitely a good idea in those conditions to keep the copter close.

Never had ice but flew in fog once (never again) when I landed the whole drone was covered in condensation & when I viewed the video I could see droplets falling to earth I dread to think what would have happened if it was also freezing.

I don't know what engine that is but I would think it would have some bleed air keeping that dome clear! That could shake off some pretty big chunks at that point,

I don't know what engine that is but I would think it would have some bleed air keeping that dome clear! That could shake off some pretty big chunks at that point,

That's the CRJ 900 series. Nothing to keep the spinners clean or the fans. Just the heated intake. (Silver ring on the leading edge). Even the elevator is not de-ice or anti ice protected. The speed of the thin wing threw the air keeps it hot. However, Ice like that doesn't happen very often and you can normally find a way out of it. That particular day, was a bad one for ice!

That's the CRJ 900 series. Nothing to keep the spinners clean or the fans. Just the heated intake. (Silver ring on the leading edge). Even the elevator is not de-ice or anti ice protected. The speed of the thin wing threw the air keeps it hot. However, Ice like that doesn't happen very often and you can normally find a way out of it. That particular day, was a bad one for ice!
So that's a GE engine?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica