DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Public Airport near my home. G4 airspace No LAANC required. Added Night Shot

cgmaxed

Reactions
This is the Marco Island Executive airport in Florida, G4 Airspace, No LAANC, but still geofenced by DJI. It has very little traffic except in the AM morning hours. But it definitely keeps me vigilant when flying near my house. Sometimes when they take off, instead of flying out through their flight corridor they will abruptly turn out of it and fly over my house, but they are usually above 600ft by that time. I always lower my altitudes to 100-150ft (or tree top height) when I hear one, in case. They also have quite a bit of helicopter traffic, Mostly police and emergency training exercises. They fly over my house at 300-400 ft. As before I lower the drone and hover until they are gone. ADS-B usually doesn't work with the police helicopters. So all I can do is listen. And they fly pretty low, sometimes at 200 ft, by my estimation.
Marco Island Airport.jpgIF YOU ZOOM IN you can see the Types of planes and 1 helicopter on the Tarmac.
This airport is Public, Non-Towered and open only from sunrise to sunset, No landing fees
(From AirNav.com)

Marco Closed Runway.jpg

Last edited:
marco.class.e.jpg

Class E airport. My understanding is that the floor of the airspace is at 700 AGL for plain vanilla Class E, so no clearance is required for drones at or below 400 feet AGL. There are Class E types that extend to the surface, though.

Here's an FAA presentation on Class E and clearance requirements I ran across recently.

I don't understand DJI's logic in geofencing. I've flown near a Class E airport in Georgia many times and only occasionally seen even a caution from DJI Fly and never any lock out of the area. Last week I made several flights in Class B airspace with LAANC approvals but saw only a "in Class B airspace" warning (dismissed by clicking OK) and nothing else. I'd have thought that I'd have to submit my LAANC info to get access from DJI.

(Airplanes often make a left or right departure at 90 degrees to the runway heading instead of straight out.)

Reactions: hychewright
That is Awesome, can you actually be in the Air as the Planes Take off the runway ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Legally, yes, but I wouldn't do it. I don't want to be a another drone "close call" statistic. You never know if they will leave their take off path and turn early.

What is this taken with? There's an airport 3.6 miles from me and I can barely see it in pictures.
I made a second trip to the airport with my car and an Air2S, got as close as a mile took a photo and departed immediately. I was in flight less than 5 minutes. I replaced the original posted pic with the new one. The original file is a 3 mile zoom in, see attached. It much blurrier. Both were adjusted in post. I may have been closer. The distance I estimated was from an angle, ground to drone, the horizontal distance is shorter. I've familiarized myself with the air traffic well over 10 years of living next to it. It is off season now, so there are very few arrivals and departures.

Attachments

• Marco Airport 2.jpg
    Marco Airport 2.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 45
What is this taken with? There's an airport 3.6 miles from me and I can barely see it in pictures.
If you live next to an airport similar to mine, without restricted airspace, Take a drive an get closer to it. I limited myself to a mile and 400' AGL. As long as your familiar with the traffic patterns and are ready to bail at a moments notice you should be safe. It's best to stay hidden for obvious reasons. It's not illegal, but frowned upon. I was thinking about staying to the side of the airport and a mile away while waiting for a plane to land, launch the drone at the last second, hit the 2x zoom and video it coming in. When a plane is landing no other plane is taking off or landing , so I just need to focus on the one plane.

Here is some info on drone flights near Glass G unrestricted airports. I could get closer, but I don't want to temp fate or piss anybody off. It talks about Class E airspace that starts above 700ft, that may or may not lie above the class G space. Only Class E2 Airspace requires LAANC below it's 700ft starting point.

Reactions: itallica
Here is some info on drone flights near Glass G unrestricted airports. I could get closer, but I don't want to temp fate or piss anybody off. It talks about Class E airspace that starts above 700ft, that may or may not lie above the class G space. Only Class E2 Airspace requires LAANC below it's 700ft starting point.

I mean what drone is it? The picture quality is far better than I'm getting with an MA2.

I live in a town with a Class G - the airport manager gave me an open invitation to come down and fly AT THE AIRPORT anytime I like. He even gave me some section maps to study for my part 107 :) I wonder if he'd consider a drone 'fly-in' event where enthusiasts could talk safety and provide education and tips for better flying techniques. How cool would that be???

It's a lot of fun... so much open concrete and there is a nice big buffer from the public. If I get a new drone or something wonky is happening that I need to work out this is the perfect place for a shakedown cruise. Obviously, I have to watch/listen for planes - but days go by when a single aircraft doesn't land.

Yeah, I'm not sure I would bly near any airport.

This airport is Public, Non-Towered and open only from sunrise to sunset,
If you look at the airport on the sectional you'll notice that the airport has runway lighting and it's open for night operations. The traffic is to the east side but that is not a set in concrete regulation. There are several FBO's on the airport and the common traffic freq. is 122.7
The runway lighting is pilot controlled on the Common Traffic Freq. 122.7

"Only Class E2 Airspace requires LAANC below it's 700ft starting point."

Class E2 airspace begins at the surface, not at 700 feet.

It’s not that simple. If you can quote the FAA ,I’ll believe it. Post the link. Thanks.

View attachment 133978

Class E airport. My understanding is that the floor of the airspace is at 700 AGL for plain vanilla Class E, so no clearance is required for drones at or below 400 feet AGL. There are Class E types that extend to the surface, though.

Here's an FAA presentation on Class E and clearance requirements I ran across recently.

I don't understand DJI's logic in geofencing. I've flown near a Class E airport in Georgia many times and only occasionally seen even a caution from DJI Fly and never any lock out of the area. Last week I made several flights in Class B airspace with LAANC approvals but saw only a "in Class B airspace" warning (dismissed by clicking OK) and nothing else. I'd have thought that I'd have to submit my LAANC info to get access from DJI.

(Airplanes often make a left or right departure at 90 degrees to the runway heading instead of straight out.)
Be very careful around Class E airports. Some have 700 AGL floors. Others go to surface level which will require a clearance.

Isn't night flight forbidden at any time, anywhere unless you have a written exception from the FAA or in accordance with your 107 license?

ps: did some research and it seems the FAA has relaxed that rule; now there is a clear statement night operations are ok but the drone must be fitted with 3 mile visible anti-collision lights (part 107). And rec fliers need lights that allow orientation and control. Interestingly - I was denied a LANCC clearance for night flight under a local class C zone... essentially ALL night flights were forbidden. Go figure.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag