DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Public vs Private Roads & Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertvet38

Reactions
Question. A few weeks ago, I pulled over on a side road in Tampa to get video footage of the Norwegian Dawn passenger ship that was moored. A truck pulled up next to me and one of the guys asked me for my name, so I told them my first name only, and then they informed me that their company doesn't allow drone flying in their area. This road did not have any gates, signs, or any other indicators that it was a non-public road, so I turned onto it. I told them, in a very polite and respectful tone, that I was unaware that I was not allowed to fly my drone in this specific area, and told them I would bring my drone in, pack it up, and depart. They said they had to report it to their supervisor, which I didn't give a crap about. So...is there anyway to find out if a road, or piece of property is public, or privately owned? What do some of you use to check? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Safe flying! :cool:
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
Local LE would be able to answer that.
Whenever someone claims to be acting under a supervisor, I request the sups name and phone number.
Great idea...thank you! I will do that if I run into that situation again (which I'm sure I will, eventually). I'll try asking county LE also. Thanks again... :)

Reactions: Lbesing
Not commenting on your flying but looks like you were on their property where you stoped but it should have had a sign when you entered that road.

When some stranger approaches you and asks you what your name is, the first thing you say (if you choose to say anything) is what’s YOUR name??
Yeah just go ahead and set the tone.

When some stranger approaches you and asks you what your name is, the first thing you say (if you choose to say anything) is what’s YOUR name??
Very true...since this was my first time ever being questioned by someone, I didn't think of asking them their name(s). I definitely will next time though. Thank you for the tip!

Not commenting on your flying but looks like you were on their property where you stoped but it should have had a sign when you entered that road.
I hear what you're saying, and no, there was absolutely nothing there except for the street sign. It just seems like there is a lot of gray areas when it comes to what some people construe as "private property", when in reality, it can be public property, and they just want to give you a hard time because they don't like what you're doing (flying my drone).

[
I think the “tone” was already set by somebody In “a truck” approaching him and asking questions without identifying themselves or stating why they are asking.
i think you are just looking to start trouble with your attitude.
There are ways to get along with almost all without a attitude .You get further in most cases just talking nicely
or trying to.

I hear what you're saying, and no, there was absolutely nothing there except for the street sign. It just seems like there is a lot of gray areas when it comes to what some people construe as "private property", when in reality, it can be public property, and they just want to give you a hard time because they don't like what you're doing (flying my drone).
Well just from looking at your map it looked to be on that Co.’s property. That truck should have had the Co.name on it.
I would do as suggested and ask LE about the road then carry on from there.

Well just from looking at your map it looked to be on that Co.’s property. That truck should have had the Co.name on it.
I would do as suggested and ask LE about the road then carry on from there.
I will do that from here on out if I feel questionable about where I am at to prevent any future issues. Thank you very much for your feedback!

Reactions: dirkclod
Think it’s 6’ and you don’t know if that would be the end or not do you.Again the attitudes do no good in any situation.

First think I would hav said stay Back 10 feet. Then I wold have said Who are you. I Don’t give out my name. That would end that.
They weren't being jerks at all, they just said that they don't allow drone flying in their area. I only gave them my first name, not last as well. This was the first time I've ever been questioned, and did not want to cause a conflict, plus, I had already gotten the footage I needed, so I just said I'm bringing my drone back, packing up and departing.

Think it’s 6’ and you don’t know if that would be the end or not do you.Again the attitudes do no good in any situation.
What is the purpose of having them stay back 6'? I don't know, so that's why I'm asking. Is it to prevent interference with my controller?

What is the purpose of having them stay back 6'? I don't know, so that's why I'm asking. Is it to prevent interference with my controller?
That’s what we are suppose to do with this virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike