DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purchase Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo w/Smart Controller or Stock Controller (Also add DJI Care as well?)?

Rankat1

Reactions
Looking to upgrade my drone experience from my Phantom 3 Standard to the new Mavic Air 2. Definitely want to get the Fly More Combo, but trying to decide if I should also upgrade from the stock controller to the Smart Controller. Difference is $400. Concerns about not having the stock controller should I want to trade up later to another model and sell the MA2. Looks like I will probably be buying from Best Buy as I can get an additional birthday discount of 10%. If I do buy from BB, then it looks like I would need to purchase DJI Care from DJI direct.

Looking for helpful feedback on decision to go with the Smart Controller or just the stock controller. Also if the DJI Care is worth it.

Thanks!

Up to you on the Smart Controller. Lots of people think it's worth it, many people don't. I'm fine using my phone as the screen, relatively to the price point of the smart controller. Regarding DJI Refresh, I bought it on my first DJI, but not since, largely because I got a Personal Articles Policy (PAP) from State Farm (I'm also in North Texas). Differences:

1. The PAP costs $75, while DJI Refresh for the MA2 costs $79; the PAP covers the full price of the drone with no deductible; DJI Refresh has a deduction.
2. The PAP gives me full replacement value if I can't recover the drone in the ocean or a lake; DJI Refresh requires you to recover the drone.
3. The $75 PAP covers my drone and much of my camera gear (it's value-based, so you could cover other things -- like a Drone and a Laptop, or whatever); The more expensive DJI refresh only covers the drone.
4. Obviously, if you make more than a couple of claims on the PAP policy, they'll probably drop you, but DJI Refresh only covers two claims as well.
5. I can pay $75/year for as many years as I want the policy; DJI Refresh can be bought for only one extra year... HOWEVER, DJI Refresh Plus (for the second year) is only $59 for MA2, so it's a bit cheaper.

Note: Since the PAP is separate from my other State Farm policies, it won't impact my home owners or auto insurance.

My 0.02 anyhow.

Dan.

Seeing as you are in Texas, if you decide to go for the smart controller, you might want to check out this deal recently posted on the forum:

Assuming everything checks out (I don't know seller), it is a very good deal that would give you everything you need to started and an even better drone than the Air 2.

The reason I said "if you go for the smart controller", is because if you disregard the controller, then yes, buying the MA2 Fly More combo would be significantly cheaper, and this would be a different value proposition.

Skip the DJI Care and go with State Farm if you can get it. With State Farm you don’t have to produce the drone to collect, it’s $45 per year with no deductible (in PA), you don’t need to have your other insurance with State Farm, and there’s no delay getting your money.

Reactions: CCARR

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun