DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purchasing a MA2 Pro?

mikepen49

Reactions
I am having problems getting my Phantom 4 Pro to fly (almost 3 years old and never flown), so I'm thinking about purchasing a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone.
Is this the best drone I can buy for video and photography?
I'm still hoping to get my Phantom 4 Pro into the air, however I want something that flies now!
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: wjkrysak
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and advice. We look forward to your contribution and view of the world.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yes. The M2P is a great drone. If I may suggest, if you're looking to save a few hundred $$, look into getting a refurbished unit. That's what I ended up doing, and while i was skeptical on what i would receive, the package and its contents were indistinguishable from a "new" unit. The refurbs sells for $1279 where they are available while the "new" units are $1600. I was happy to save $300, with no apparent downside.

Yes. The M2P is a great drone. If I may suggest, if you're looking to save a few hundred $$, look into getting a refurbished unit. That's what I ended up doing, and while i was skeptical on what i would receive, the package and its contents were indistinguishable from a "new" unit. The refurbs sells for $1279 where they are available while the "new" units are $1600. I was happy to save $300, with no apparent downside.
Thanks for the advice and the reply!

Mike, I'm not saying you shouldn't post here, but in case you aren't aware, there is a dedicated sister forum for Phantoms. Here's the link to the 4 Pro area:

If you haven't already been there (or for any help you get here), I suggest specifying more precisely what you mean by "having problems getting my Phantom 4 Pro to fly".
  • Is it linked to the controller?
  • Do you get no connection?
  • Are you getting connections, but it's not taking off?
  • Are you getting any messages on the controller app (and if so, what)?
EDIT: yes, the M2P is about the best camera system out there (speaking as a photographer). I still have my P3P, but I know that the P4P is better than that, and I've heard that it is even better than the M2P (including in this thread already). But if you don't get it going, yes, the M2P is probably the next best thing, besides another P4P.

Chris

Does the gimble on the M2P swing in all directions (up, down, left, right, etc.) and can it "swing" or through an up/down and left/right maneuver at the same time?
Thanks again in advance.

Mike, I'm not saying you shouldn't post here, but in case you aren't aware, there is a dedicated sister forum for Phantoms. Here's the link to the 4 Pro area:

If you haven't already been there (or for any help you get here), I suggest specifying more precisely what you mean by "having problems getting my Phantom 4 Pro to fly".
  • Is it linked to the controller?
  • Do you get no connection?
  • Are you getting connections, but it's not taking off?
  • Are you getting any messages on the controller app (and if so, what)?
EDIT: yes, the M2P is about the best camera system out there (speaking as a photographer). I still have my P3P, but I know that the P4P is better than that, and I've heard that it is even better than the M2P (including in this thread already). But if you don't get it going, yes, the M2P is probably the next best thing, besides another P4P.

Chris
Thanks, Chris.
I'll move the P4P discussions over to the correct discussion area.
Mike

I am having problems getting my Phantom 4 Pro to fly (almost 3 years old and never flown), so I'm thinking about purchasing a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone.
Is this the best drone I can buy for video and photography?
I'm still hoping to get my Phantom 4 Pro into the air, however I want something that flies now!
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Based on my experience, don't.

I purchased x1 Mavic 2 Pro with fly more combo and DJI Refresh direct from DJI. They charged me for x2 and sent 2.
I complained immediately and asked for them to cancel the second drone. They said it was too late.
They told me to refuse the second unwanted drone. I did that and took pictures of the delivery driver taking it back.

I opened the second drone and tested the camera before I flew it. The camera had white spots on the video and stills feed so did not fly it.

I told DJI of this. 9 days later they get back to me to only deal with the drone that had an issue, not with both issues.

They suggested it will take another week to resolve the drone with the camera issue, but first it has to go back and they need to inspect it, etc, etc. Even though I have sent them pictures and videos of the whole fiasco.

In the meantime, the drone that was refused is stuck in limbo and I am out £4k

So from my perspective, do not buy a DJI drone. Ever!!

Based on my experience, don't.

I purchased x1 Mavic 2 Pro with fly more combo and DJI Refresh direct from DJI. They charged me for x2 and sent 2.
I complained immediately and asked for them to cancel the second drone. They said it was too late.
They told me to refuse the second unwanted drone. I did that and took pictures of the delivery driver taking it back.

I opened the second drone and tested the camera before I flew it. The camera had white spots on the video and stills feed so did not fly it.

I told DJI of this. 9 days later they get back to me to only deal with the drone that had an issue, not with both issues.

They suggested it will take another week to resolve the drone with the camera issue, but first it has to go back and they need to inspect it, etc, etc. Even though I have sent them pictures and videos of the whole fiasco.

In the meantime, the drone that was refused is stuck in limbo and I am out £4k

So from my perspective, do not buy a DJI drone. Ever!!

I'm sorry for the distress that you had to go through. I have a couple thoughts which may or may not be applicable outside of the US...

Perhaps when buying one of these one should consider purchasing through a reseller. The warranty and care/refresh are still available, presuming sold by a more "local" (meaning within your country) authorize dealer. I would think that smaller, reputable dealers would be more responsive to issues, particularly their mistakes. Second, make sure to keep all your correspondence, particularly the emails where they do not (or any company does not, for that matter) respond directly to your requests for assistance and problem solving. Make sure you have a relationship with the bank that is attached to the credit card you use. It may come in handy as a last resort. I'll share one of my experiences, now that enough time has passed that I can talk about it openly.

My "first" drone was an Eachine EX4, ordered in May from Banggood. It came in early June, arriving with multiple defects. I notified them the day after receipt. At first they didn't respond at all. They did respond after the 2nd request for assistance, and then played "rope-a-dope" for almost 3 weeks, never replying directly to what I wrote in reponses to their emails. After 20 rounds of emails and three weeks, they still would not fully honor their published warranty. So, I called my bank, provided them the details and correspondence and the BANK credited me for the full amount. Edit: I forgot to mention that I had paid via PayPal, though only as an intermediary for MY bank's credit card. PayPal didn't do squat to help (the second time they would have let me get screwed... but my bank both times intervenened).

I still have their defective drone and my money back. I have since bought my two DJI drones from US dealers and know that were there any issues I wouldn't have had the battle that I had with my cheap Chinese drone.

Bottom line: Buy from retailer, not from from a factory who couldn't care less about your business or making you satisfied. Use a bank card from a bank that will stand behind you- not PayPal.

Reactions: mavicpilotsnumpty
I'd also looking into getting the Phantom 4 Pro working first since you may find you're happy with its size and image quality but want a compact alternative so an Air 2 might be a better companion or you may find you really like the P4P but want an M2P to get something similar in a smaller package.

For stills the 1in sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro is the best of the compact drones particularly if you process the raw files.

I did not see anything about reprogramming in the users manual. How do you reprogram?
THanks.

I believe Thomas B was referring to refreshing/ upgrading the firmware on the P4P

Does the gimble on the M2P swing in all directions (up, down, left, right, etc.) and can it "swing" or through an up/down and left/right maneuver at the same time?
Thanks again in advance.

It doesn't swing left or right manually, but can be moved in the vertical plane by 120 degrees

I'm sorry for the distress that you had to go through. I have a couple of thoughts that may or may not be applicable outside of the US...

Perhaps when buying one of these one should consider purchasing through a reseller. The warranty and care/refresh are still available, presuming sold by a more "local" (meaning within your country) authorize dealer. I would think that smaller, reputable dealers would be more responsive to issues, particularly their mistakes. Second, make sure to keep all your correspondence, particularly the emails where they do not (or any company does not, for that matter) respond directly to your requests for assistance and problem-solving. Make sure you have a relationship with the bank that is attached to the credit card you use. It may come in handy as a last resort. I'll share one of my experiences, now that enough time has passed that I can talk about it openly.

My "first" drone was an Eachine EX4, ordered in May from Banggood. It came in early June, arriving with multiple defects. I notified them the day after receipt. At first, they didn't respond at all. They did respond after the 2nd request for assistance and then played "rope-a-dope" for almost 3 weeks, never replying directly to what I wrote in response to their emails. After 20 rounds of emails and three weeks, they still would not fully honor their published warranty. So, I called my bank, provided them the details and correspondence and the BANK credited me for the full amount. Edit: I forgot to mention that I had paid via PayPal, though only as an intermediary for MY bank's credit card. PayPal didn't do squat to help (the second time they would have let me get screwed... but my bank both times intervened).

I still have their defective drone and my money back. I have since bought my two DJI drones from US dealers and know that were there any issues I wouldn't have had the battle that I had with my cheap Chinese drone.

Bottom line: Buy from a retailer, not from a factory who couldn't care less about your business or making you satisfied. Use a bank card from a bank that will stand behind you- not PayPal.

Thank you for the advice. I paid through paypal. Long story short, Paypal initially closed my case, even though I did not open one, as I just asked them a question. I received an email this morning saying they have just overturned the case they opened on my behalf, and are now chasing DJI for the drone that never was received. Weird but good.

Now I just need to get rid of this knackered drone and I will be free of DJI.

Then I have the choice of the Autel Evo 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Pro to choose from instead.

I'd also looking into getting the Phantom 4 Pro working first since you may find you're happy with its size and image quality but want a compact alternative so an Air 2 might be a better companion or you may find you really like the P4P but want an M2P to get something similar in a smaller package.

For stills the 1in sensor in the Mavic 2 Pro is the best of the compact drones particularly if you process the raw files.

My first drone was a Parrot Anafi. An awesome lightweight drone. Visual line of sight is terrible, as it just disappears, as it is so small and quiet. In good light the pictures from it are, passable. The video is better, but awful in low light. Much like the MA2. The compression artifacts were also awful, on the Anafi. Flying it was super fun though.

If you like pixel peeping, you may be ultimately disappointed with the Mavic Air 2.

Whilst the Mavic 2 Pro is better, to a degree, in lower light, there is still sensor noise and mild compression artifacts (at least in the 3 M2P's I have purchased) in the shots, even at 100 iso. At night or lower light, Whilst better than the Anafi, the readout noise at above 800 iso is unusable without a fair bit of manipulation. But again, that might have been me being unlucky, three times in a row.
I have not had much luck purchasing a M2P. The first one had blurry edges due to a sensor being misaligned. After I found this issue and looked it up, I noticed other people had the same issue, mostly from earlier models. From what I can see, DJI appears to have fixed this with firmware adjustments by cropping in and interpolating instead of fixing the issue optically. This can be seen if you put the raw DNG into lightroom, when, for a split second, the original shot is shown before it automatically corrects itself for distortion etc. It crops in, to quite a degree.

Having had a Hasselblad Digital back and associated lenses, I have had a lot of 'Hassle' with them working properly, and they needed to be serviced regularly to work. When they do, they are lovely. But not worth the grief. So the Hasselblad name to me is maybe not as revered as some people may see it. But maybe I just got unlucky.

These issues with DJI have made me wish I kept my Parrot Anafi, even with its mediocre sensor. At least it does not have geofencing or bad sensor issues like the M2P. But again, this is directly from my experience, others may differ radically.

If I get my issues sorted with DJI. I may not go with DJI in the end and jump ship to Autel. I am hoping they can't be worse than what I have experienced so far.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929