DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purchasing a Mavic need advise

jtarnecki

Reactions
Hi all,

This is my first post, i am wanting to purchase a Mavic, but had some questions for you all. I wanted to do a bunch of filming over water for fun, and possibly do some real estate gigs for side-hustle cash. I've been doing a lot of fishing in some complex river systems and bays so it would be awesome to get a different perspective of where i'm at and where i can get into with my small skiff.

The drone that peaked my interest is the mavic zoom 2. I was thinking the zoom feature would be ideal over water cause i can keep my distance from water hazards, and the photos and video are high enough resolution i may be able to peak peoples interest for trying to sell my footage (to real-estate companies). I read that you want to keep your distance from water as the sensors can get kinda screwy with water reflection if you get too low.

What do you all think of the zoom 2? With this drone, should i purchase just the standard package or should i get a combo kit with extra batteries and props? What are some of the best deals out there that you would recommend for purchasing (Amazon, ebay, straight from DJI)? What are some things you wish you knew from the get go that you can relay to me.

And yes, obviously i'll be doing the FAA test before i fly. Looking for mostly product knowledge here.

Thank you all in advance!
Joe

Go with the flymore combo.

Reactions: NAVMAV and DougMcC
The Zoom is a great drone.
That said... I’d look hard at the M2P. Bigger sensor allows more controll over the original capture and more manipulation in post ..Including cropping.. the ultimate zoom.
Agree go Flymore.
Most of the “deals” include a lot of stuff you don’t need and likely won’t use.

get a land/launch pad, at least 2 complete prop replacement kits, and as many batteries as you can afford (I have 10). Get some form of replacement insurance/extended warranty.
I’d buy from where you want.... just look for the info letting you know that you are buying from DJI directly or a DJI approved vendor.

Reactions: jtarnecki
Whether you get a M2 Pro, Zoom, or MA2 get the flymore combo for sure...

If your ever going to try selling any footage you have to go with the bigger sensor in the Mavic 2 pro for the image quality as Thomas B mentioned. You be able to do more with the raw footage and images in post production.

B&H Photo in New York is an authorized seller. Good online service free shipping. Also they have a simple way so that they pay the state sales tax! I’m in CA so that 8% helps.

If your ever going to try selling any footage you have to go with the bigger sensor in the Mavic 2 pro for the image quality as Thomas B mentioned. You be able to do more with the raw footage and images in post production
That's a great point. I've been using Adobe premiere pro and quickly realizing the software is more powerful than an optical zoom could be.

The Zoom is a great drone.
That said... I’d look hard at the M2P. Bigger sensor allows more controll over the original capture and more manipulation in post ..Including cropping.. the ultimate zoom.
Agree go Flymore.
Most of the “deals” include a lot of stuff you don’t need and likely won’t use.

get a land/launch pad, at least 2 complete prop replacement kits, and as many batteries as you can afford (I have 10). Get some form of replacement insurance/extended warranty.
I’d buy from where you want.... just look for the info letting you know that you are buying from DJI directly or a DJI approved vendor.
I really appreciate your suggestions here. Do you fly with the upgraded controller or from your phone or tablet?

I really appreciate your suggestions here. Do you fly with the upgraded controller or from your phone or tablet?

Be aware the DJI Smart Controller only has a 5.5in screen which is quite small. I usually fly with a tablet closer to an 8/10 inch screen.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Mavic 2 Pro Fly more and get the DJI Care Refresh too.

Consider what you’re plans are for the drone and compare the specs/capabilities of each. The M2P and M2Z are both great drones for different reasons, the cameras. I have both and use both based on weather, lighting, end result desires, types of shots etc. I will say that of low light filming is your desire then the M2P is definitely the choice. Even with the smaller sensor, the M2Z takes great shots as well and has its place in my gear for certain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos