DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pure genius, or the dumbest idea ever?

Mavnik

Reactions
I wanted to get a strobe light for my mavic air, but they are not that easy to find where I live so I improvised.

I bought the cheapest bike LED light I could find, and attached it to the battery with some 3M velcro.

It adds 37g to the drone, uses 2x AAA batteries, and is as bright as hell.

The gimble camera is not adversely affected by the red/white blinking light at all.

I haven't tried it outside yet. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_160801.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 540
  • IMG_20191012_160806.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 458
  • IMG_20191012_160920.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 433
I had a similar idea the other night your post has me thinking more about it, I am a COB and the $36 dollar strobes have me looking else where.

I pulled out a couple of old bike lights but the weight of the batteries concerned me and the fact that they both used red leds as I would have preferred white leds. Further searching indicates a weight of 42g per light I will have to see how much weight reduction I can find with the use of a
Dremel. ;)

For $10 I ordered a set of these should have them tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about using the Firehouse Technology stobes I got recently on the bike !! Lol.
They might just be TOO bright though, and blind vehicle drivers ?

The "Spark" strobe with some velcro on the stobe / handle bars would be a good front strobing light, or a Dual white dual on flash or solid white.
A Dual red stobing or flashing for the back, and drivers would keep WELL away form you for sure !!! ?

I use one of these. Cheap, light and rechargeable:

Reactions: Van Shteffy
I wanted to get a strobe light for my mavic air, but they are not that easy to find where I live so I improvised.

I bought the cheapest bike LED light I could find, and attached it to the battery with some 3M velcro.

The gimble camera is not adversely affected by the red/white blinking light at all.

Please provide brand and where you bought them. I have a Mavic Pro that I would like to 'light up'. Thanks

I use one of these. Cheap, light and rechargeable:

I like that light at only 25grams and only 1/2" high , Unfortunately not available for shipment to the USA.

Funny when I just went back to the lights that I had linked to and ordered yesterday to check weight, lumens, dimensions. the price went from $9.99 yesterday to $11.99 today for the set of two one red one white.

Rear Helmet lights have the best form factor ive seen.
Smaller once you cut away the excess. Use some Double sided

There are variations of this type of strobe light available on eBay.
They use watch batteries, are super bright and weigh nothing

Reactions: Van Shteffy
Where you live you don't get mail? Seriously, order online. Ebay, Amazon etc are better online.

I agree with the idea that adding any additional weight for any reason would affect flight dynamics. A while back I ordered a 3D attachment for my MPP. The attachment holds my GoPro camera. The 3D printing company guaranteed this plastic attachment would work. Well, it did from the standpoint of being a perfect fit...drone to attachment to GoPro. However, when I tried to take off, the drone couldn’t do it. Too much weight. Live and learn.

Reactions: mereflyer
I agree with the idea that adding any additional weight for any reason would affect flight dynamics. A while back I ordered a 3D attachment for my MPP. The attachment holds my GoPro camera. The 3D printing company guaranteed this plastic attachment would work. Well, it did from the standpoint of being a perfect fit...drone to attachment to GoPro. However, when I tried to take off, the drone couldn’t do it. Too much weight. Live and learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: wendyc
I don't want to add even a gram, I wouldn't care if it could carry a pumpkin, adding weight slows you down, puts stress on frame, extra wear on motors & cuts flight time

I got the Lumecube strobes and highly reccomend them.
They are perfectly shaped for the nose. Easy to remove.
Excellent Brightness and Barely need charging.

Not sure if the Wanku? Nice name btw, have similar specs, size, etc, but the
lumecube's are custom made for the job.

The build quality is good and as mentioned are super Bright.
2 min mod. Highly recommend.

$50 isnt much to polish your $1500 Drone.

If nothing else I get to look at the site sponsor each day and :)

Strobes, are great for fly, nigth AND day

On both bike AND drone !! Thumbswayup

Funny when I just went back to the lights that I had linked to and ordered yesterday to check weight, lumens, dimensions. the price went from $9.99 yesterday to $11.99 today for the set of two one red one white.

Saw home many hits form Mavic Pilots !!
Marketing 101, what the market will bear, ha ha.

I need strobes for my M 2 pro, I keep losing sight of it!

I need strobes for my M 2 pro, I keep losing sight of it!

Search the forum here Wendy, search all forums with words like . . . strobes ? ?
There are loads of very recent threads, several brands and all would give you better VLOS.

As simple as one decent one on the back, if you need to find it just do a quick yaw around.

Even if you don't fly far out, usually one look down at your monitor, and look up again, they can just vanish !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada