DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quadruple your photo resolution in Photoshop

Buzzman

Reactions
Everyone,
On/about March 12th Adobe upgraded Photoshop. One of the new features includes their Super Resolution enhancement. You can quadruple the pixels in any photo (RAW, jpeg etc.) without loss. Check it out.

Of course, there are other vendors and similar products including Gigapixel AI
from Topaz Labs. That vendor also has Video Enhance AI.

Best,
Steve

This could be interesting for all those pictures people have at low Resolution multiplied by 4 so and 8 meg picture more like a 32 , very interesting .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.

Looks interesting. I'll try to give it a try soon and do a comparison with Gigapixel. I've been very impressed with the latter - like all Topaz products it is hit or miss, but in this case there are a lot more hits than misses. Curious if Adobe can do better.

Interesting if you are going to print the photos, as most drones have just 12MP... IA enhancement is better than the traditional bicubic.

Yes, that's why I posted it. I own a Mavic2 Pro and the landscape still images are wonderful, but I am keen to upsize and print larger versions. Should also be great for printing from iPhones and other smart phones. Enjoy. And- if you already have the current Photoshop it is better than paying $99 for Gigapixel AI from Topaz Labs. In the past, I've always used bicubic smoother for the task. Also, drone pics look great when worked up in LuminarAI. Just sayin.

Reactions: Peter Kalasz
Everyone,
On/about March 12th Adobe upgraded Photoshop. One of the new features includes their Super Resolution enhancement. You can quadruple the pixels in any photo (RAW, jpeg etc.) without loss. Check it out.

Best,
Steve
I believe it was Double(not quadruple) the resolution. Here is the latest video from Colin Smith, of Photoshop Cafe. It is very long but does cover the new Photoshop release, including Super Resolution and Enhance.

Dale
Miami

Everyone,

Best,
Steve

Tested, but does not add reasonable details. The 100% viewing quality is lower for the extended image. Only adds useless size which will be dropped in Internet publishing. The big resolution contest is only marketing. It cannot add more information as the primary image (optics and recording) may have.

Check out Colin Smith's video (linked above). Adobe also uses AI (Artificial Intelligence) searching for pixels similar to surroundings. The demonstration on Colin's video are truly believable and I have Adobe CC 2021 and it also worked for me. I wouldn't over do it (e.g.: mass processing) but on special images it is worth taking a few more minutes that it takes for the processing. You can actually see the increase resolution by clicking on the 100% button.

If you are an iPad/Mac user looking for a Photoshop alternative that does this machine learning (AI) super scaling, take a look at Pixelmator Pro. It's a one-time purchase of $40 on the Mac ($20 on iPad, called Pixelmator Photo) and does a decent job scaling up images. If you pixel-peep you'll see the AI trying its best to match the original. In my experience this is fine for small increases in scaling and for printing. Attached is an example of a RAW image taken from my DJI Mini 2 (4000x3000) scaled up to 12000x9000 (3x) with this feature. Unedited DNG on the left zoomed to match the "actual size" of the upscaled version on the right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.17.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.17.25 AM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Yes, that's why I posted it. I own a Mavic2 Pro and the landscape still images are wonderful, but I am keen to upsize and print larger versions. Should also be great for printing from iPhones and other smart phones. Enjoy. And- if you already have the current Photoshop it is better than paying $99 for Gigapixel AI from Topaz Labs. In the past, I've always used bicubic smoother for the task. Also, drone pics look great when worked up in LuminarAI. Just sayin.
Love using Luminar AI!

Everyone,

Best,
Steve
I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro almost 2 years ago. I am a retired commercial photographer who owned a studio in Mpls. for 32 years. Image quality is more than pixel count. A image from a $1600. camera is going to better than a $400. camera. Nothing substitutes for a well composed, well exposed image. Think of the old saying GIGO, garbage in, garbage out. If you capsure an image that is over/under exposed, back lit and out of focus, “up resing” isn’t going to help. I have used Adobe Photoshop as my default image editor for 22 years. It’s a wonderful tool. But don’t expect to fix your serious mistakes with it. You get what you pay for!
MN.MavicFlyer

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I recommend that everyone that loves Adobe get the Classic Light Room and 2019 CC retail version developer edition. its a lifetime license key and Registers with Adobe and comes with Adobe Photoshop / Adobe Premiere and Adobe Light Room the only catch is you have to allow Adobe to record any Errors that your computer has with the Software .

If you can get past the Privacy issue , you can save a lot of money and this new Feature is also being added to the Classic Light Room to expand picture size.

I think they are sold out of the mac but i have seen some windows version still available
I have been using it since 2017 and its been flawless and recently it updated to 2019 cc.

Apple has something similar for Final Cut X - developer editions but you need to be
registered as an apple developer a cost of $1000 but give you developer software for life.

After 2019 Adobe no longer offers a 2020 Developer package.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on water.

I believe it was Double(not quadruple) the resolution. Here is the latest video from Colin Smith, of Photoshop Cafe. It is very long but does cover the new Photoshop release, including Super Resolution and Enhance.

Dale
Miami
Right, sorry it was doubling length and width, so quadrupling the pixel count per phot.

I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro almost 2 years ago. I am a retired commercial photographer who owned a studio in Mpls. for 32 years. Image quality is more than pixel count. A image from a $1600. camera is going to better than a $400. camera. Nothing substitutes for a well composed, well exposed image. Think of the old saying GIGO, garbage in, garbage out. If you capsure an image that is over/under exposed, back lit and out of focus, “up resing” isn’t going to help. I have used Adobe Photoshop as my default image editor for 22 years. It’s a wonderful tool. But don’t expect to fix your serious mistakes with it. You get what you pay for!
MN.MavicFlyer
I totally agree. The new super resolution from Adobe in Camera Raw is going to help printing larger prints in cases where you have cropped way in (like. a flying bird) or for IPhone photos. Its not a panacea and won't fix errors or bad shooting behavior.

Reactions: workingprophotog
Best rule of thumb - Junk in Junk out.
I'm a graphic artist / prepress manager for a large printing company. You should see some of the crap we get in to print. I'll get images at 50dpi, tell the client its not good. They will resend the file in at 300 dpi.....all they did was go back and up the resolution on the first file LOL. Sorry it doesn't work like that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54