DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about altitude zones

Rocky43

Reactions
Let’s say I’m launching from a building that is 200m within the 150m altitude zone. Will my drone even fly at all?

Let’s say I’m launching from a building that is 200m within the 150m altitude zone. Will my drone even fly at all?
Doubt if the scenario you presents can exist in real world flying. If the building is that tall the “altitude zone” would be above the building.

Doubt if the scenario you presents can exist in real world flying. If the building is that tall the “altitude zone” would be above the building.

Well in my country our housing blocks are close to 200m high. Very packed urban environment.

Well in my country our housing blocks are close to 200m high. Very packed urban environment.
What is the required minimum flight altitude in the area prescribed by your governing agency? Doubt if it’s below the height of the building.

I asked a similar question here a while back which got 0 replies.
I understand why it got no replies; it was a stupid question. You can not enter, mid flight, an altitude zone at above the set altitude limit.But yours is a more interesting question since you are not entering the altitude zone mid flight but taking off inside it. Can you even take off while you are above the set height ceiling? It all comes down to what the drone considers ground here - your take off location on the top of a 200m building? Or the actual ground?

I don't know the answer definitively. But, I would hazard a guess that since altitude zones are based on height from ground, and dji drones take the take off location to be ground (0 altitude), you would still be able to take off with in an altitude zone at above the set height ceiling and fly up vertically up to the height limit set in the altitude zone. Having said that, it is also possible that the drone can realize it is actually 200m above ground, instead of on the ground, from GPS signals since altitude can be extrapolated from GPS data. It also has a barometer onboard, that is another source for altitude data. If the drone uses one or both of these two to determine where it is relative to the ground at or before take off, may be it will refuse to take off in the first place or auto land immediately. All guesses of course, surest way to find out definitively would be to try :)

P.S.: I love what if scenarios, but I am the last person to speak with authority on any of the topics I comment. I have more curiosity than knowledge in any subject matter. So, don't take this as sound advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several issues with this question. A meter zone? Instead of feet? Where are you getting this type of limit from? The DJI app, the FAA, etc.?

The DJI app goes by the take off point. So if you are limited to, let's say 200', this starts wherever you take off. That is 0 and the altitude is then calculated from that point.

If a FAA limit, then it is above ground and that ground is what is under the drone at the time. It is not limited by the app (unless it is... and then see above) and you may manually need to know the altitude of the drone above the ground below it.

This scenario brings back memory’s of an afternoon In Cornwall 3 months ago… the coastline was absolutely stunning with jagged rocks projecting out of the sea at an angle of about 60 degrees, the wind was gusting but the urge to get the picture was too great.
We were stood on a spit of land that protected out seawards past the rock formations and was elevated above the rocks but the angle wasn’t what I wanted so the dslr camera was out of the question.
I hand launched the Mavic 2 Pro and flew it seawards keeping it above the horizon in order to keep it in view, once I’d gone out far enough I turned the Mavic to frame the picture, this also meant lowering the altitude below the skyline… at this point I lost sight of the It. Fortunately my wife was spectating with the binoculars so she was able to advise me! Yes advise me, because not only had I lost sight of the bird, but I was getting a negative altitude reading on the controller and the seagulls were taking an interest in me… I had no idea how far above the waves I was! But I did keep my cool thanks to my wife’s input. Once I got the picture I increased the altitude fast and when above the skyline I had full vision of the Mavic and flew it home safely.
Was it worth the risk… well I think so……

466C9310-5D58-43EE-8E89-A486D3382F2C.jpeg

BCA72616-0926-4D53-975D-7B3AFC56EF78.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada