DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about batteries and focus

Stebbe

Reactions
Hey Guys,

This morning I Went out flying my Mavic 2 Zoom. In Sweden this morning we had -3 C. When I flew the first battery there were no "battery Cold" warning but for the other two batteries I got the warning saying something like "battery Cold, should be +15 C" or something like that.

Since I got that warning I let the AC hover for maybe 30 sec and then took it pretty easy the first minute not to put too much load on the battery. Is there any way I Could have damaged the batteries when flying them "Cold"?

Question number 2: when I flew the second battery the camera wouldn´t focus after a while.Tried pushing C1 - center focus but no change. Normally I wouldn´t think too much about this since I was zooming in and out and I was flying over a lake with sun reflection and trees of different heights etc and when I stopped filming and flew away maybe 300 meters everything was working normally again and with the third battery there were no problems at all.

The reason I´m asking is that the bird is quite new and when I did the first update everything was fine and after rebooting and going in to the "go fly" screen I got the error message "gimbal motor overload". I found that strange since the gimbal protector was off but then I saw that the protective sticker on the back of the gimbal had come off (probably during transport, I wrote about this in an earlier thread) and was now sitting at the side of the gimbal and had grabbed on the to aircraft. So I don´t know if that had been sitting there for the entire first update which took about 20 min or if it grabbed on after rebooting. I did a gimbal calibration and everything has worked perfectly with the gimbal for a number of flights but my question was if the temporary "focus problem" could have originated from a potential 20 min gimbal overload or if the focus has nothing to do with the gimbal motor?

Hey Guys,

This morning I Went out flying my Mavic 2 Zoom. In Sweden this morning we had -3 C. When I flew the first battery there were no "battery Cold" warning but for the other two batteries I got the warning saying something like "battery Cold, should be +15 C" or something like that.

Since I got that warning I let the AC hover for maybe 30 sec and then took it pretty easy the first minute not to put too much load on the battery. Is there any way I Could have damaged the batteries when flying them "Cold"?

Question number 2: when I flew the second battery the camera wouldn´t focus after a while.Tried pushing C1 - center focus but no change. Normally I wouldn´t think too much about this since I was zooming in and out and I was flying over a lake with sun reflection and trees of different heights etc and when I stopped filming and flew away maybe 300 meters everything was working normally again and with the third battery there were no problems at all.

The reason I´m asking is that the bird is quite new and when I did the first update everything was fine and after rebooting and going in to the "go fly" screen I got the error message "gimbal motor overload". I found that strange since the gimbal protector was off but then I saw that the protective sticker on the back of the gimbal had come off (probably during transport, I wrote about this in an earlier thread) and was now sitting at the side of the gimbal and had grabbed on the to aircraft. So I don´t know if that had been sitting there for the entire first update which took about 20 min or if it grabbed on after rebooting. I did a gimbal calibration and everything has worked perfectly with the gimbal for a number of flights but my question was if the temporary "focus problem" could have originated from a potential 20 min gimbal overload or if the focus has nothing to do with the gimbal motor?

One cold weather battery suggestion is to keep them on your body inside a coat to keep them from getting too cold. Also, like you did, start up the engine and keep it on the ground for a while to generate internal heat but don't take off for a while.

I don't know about the focus or gimbal overload message. I have accidentally flown a few times without removing the gimbal protector. I now have an 8 inch red ribbon attached to the gimbal cover so that I definitely see that the cover is still on.

Reactions: Gindra
If you had an app disconnect or crash mid-flight, that does tend to incapacitate the programmable buttons for the rest of the flight.

Thanks for your replies. No crash and no app disconnect and Everything started to work again very shortly after so probably just a glitch. Thx!

Btw, do you Think that I caused any damage to the batteries? The temp range for Mavic 2 is -10 to +40 so I was a bit surprised that I got that warning at only -3...?

The-10 to +40 rating is for the whole craft.. It's for all the electronics, motors, props etc. It's the battery that shouldn't be under 16C.

The battery has a temperature sensor built in. (That's how you're able to see the actual battery temps in the DJI Go app. Batteries lose efficiency when they get cold, that's why you get the warning at 16C or lower.

I've flown in temps as cold as -30C. Normally I try keep the batteries warm (as f22 suggests in his reply above). But despite my efforts, every now and then I get a cold battery warning. Like you, I just hover for a while before I head off. That warms the battery up.

I've had the 'cold' warning quite a few times with my M2 and also with my Phantom 4 that I've owned for three years. I've never had any battery problems with either craft.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242