Join Us Now

Question about battery storage between days flying

bheiser1

Premium Pilot
Reactions
the foothills of the Sierra Nevada in California
Site
billheiserphoto.com
Hi everyone. One thing that takes a lot more effort than it seems it should is the act of getting batteries to a proper (~50%) storage level. Unless I severely curtail each flight so each battery ends up at that level, I find myself having to literally sit and watch the batteries on the charger to ensure I unplug them at the right level.

Other manufacturers (like Spektrum, for model airplanes) have chargers which automatically charge (or discharge) to the right level. Am I missing something with the DJI batteries? I understand if they're "too charged", and I let them sit for n days, they'll eventually discharge. But what if I want to use good practice by getting them to the right level when I'm done flying?

What do you all do? I can't believe sitting and watching each battery one by one to charge til the right lights are blinking is common practice. But I also want to avoid battery swelling if at all possible by getting the batteries to the "right" level asap, as it's typically multiple days between my flying opportunities.

Reactions: E90RAW
Really nothing wrong with them discharging on their own.
I‘m not a fan of the watched charge cycle either.
If I know that the next fly sequence is some time away, I’ll drain to proper level by some fly time.
There may be some aftermarket tools to discharge, but I have too many things that plug into a wall as it is.

Quick question. My MM is heading back to Dji for repair. Probably 2 - 3 weeks. What should i do to the batteries? Thanks

If there’s a way to deplete them without the ac, I’m unaware.
Certainly isn’t going to kill them.

Other manufacturers (like Spektrum, for model airplanes) have chargers which automatically charge (or discharge) to the right level. Am I missing something with the DJI batteries? I understand if they're "too charged", and I let them sit for n days, they'll eventually discharge. But what if I want to use good practice by getting them to the right level when I'm done flying?
Set them to discharge after 3 days. It will probably take a week for a full battery to discharge to that state. It won't hurt the battery to let it discharge over the week period.

You should get about 300 cycles maintaining them this way.

Oh maybe i can use the hub as power bank and in that way they will discharge. Thanks
Yep, that was going to be my suggestion. If I am stuck with charged batteries and not planning to fly, I put the usb adapter on them and use them as a power bank.

Otherwise I have them set to 3 day discharge. Between 3 batteries I try to keep one charged and use it before charging the next one, unless I know I wll do a bit of flying then I charge up all 3. Working so far. But mine are only 18 months old and each are at about 50 cycles so far.

Hi everyone. One thing that takes a lot more effort than it seems it should is the act of getting batteries to a proper (~50%) storage level. Unless I severely curtail each flight so each battery ends up at that level, I find myself having to literally sit and watch the batteries on the charger to ensure I unplug them at the right level.

What do you all do? I can't believe sitting and watching each battery one by one to charge til the right lights are blinking is common practice. But I also want to avoid battery swelling if at all possible by getting the batteries to the "right" level asap, as it's typically multiple days between my flying opportunities.
(reposted)
LiPo batteries are usually good for 150-250 cycles of charging. They are finicky animals. You cant leave them at full charge for too long( 1 week at full charge can degenerate a batt), and you do not want them at low charge (<3.0 volts) or that can kill them. DJI automates everything for you. Dont let them sit at low charge for too long. LiPo not very forgiving. Discharge will cause heat production. Running below 12 volts total (virtually impossible with DJI automation) during a flight will kill them. Unfortunately with DJI automation drone pilots do not need(and most dont) any knowledge about LiPo batteries. Its probably better that we do as they are tricky. I have run my batteries to 0%(obviously not recommended) but the volts were 14 total. Its best to always be checking your battery meters during flight, no different than a pilot checking the full gauge. I have found that the temp of the batteries is a more relevant indice during flight than volts.(% batt is not relevant in my small opinion-I'd rather see the volts). When the temp is >50 Celsius I bring her/him home. Remember LiPo's can catch fire so best to keep in fireproof container or bags.

Reactions: lowellton
(reposted)
LiPo batteries are usually good for 150-250 cycles of charging. They are finicky animals. You cant leave them at full charge for too long( 1 week at full charge can degenerate a batt), and you do not want them at low charge (<3.0 volts) or that can kill them. DJI automates everything for you. Dont let them sit at low charge for too long. LiPo not very forgiving. Discharge will cause heat production. Running below 12 volts total (virtually impossible with DJI automation) during a flight will kill them. Unfortunately with DJI automation drone pilots do not need(and most dont) any knowledge about LiPo batteries. Its probably better that we do as they are tricky. I have run my batteries to 0%(obviously not recommended) but the volts were 14 total. Its best to always be checking your battery meters during flight, no different than a pilot checking the full gauge. I have found that the temp of the batteries is a more relevant indice during flight than volts.(% batt is not relevant in my small opinion-I'd rather see the volts). When the temp is >50 Celsius I bring her/him home. Remember LiPo's can catch fire so best to keep in fireproof container or bags.
should i take them out of the hub or leave them in the hub? Thanks

should i take them out of the hub or leave them in the hub? Thanks
The hub will not overcharge them and shuts down once they reach a certain programmed capacity. (really volts as capacity cannot be measured). The hub will charge them appropriately and shut off once complete. You do not have to watch or disconnect. I would not leave them in the hub indefinitely as the battery wont be allowed to discharge after the 5 days as is programmed into them. Once the volts drop on the battery the hub will start attempting to charge the battery. (The battery is auto programmed to self discharge every 5 days. It does not have to be attached to the hub). In addition, with the risk of conflagration I would advise against. I have left them for several hours or overnight prior and there was no heat but its best to get them off once the LED is goes off.(yes the LED goes to 4 and then off once full capacity). Also some recommend charging/storing in a fireproof container. Batteries also "leak" energy over time even without auto discharge. Dont let them go too low(<3 volts/cell).

OK, thanks for the feedback everyone. I take it from the comments that there isn't a solution. When I've flown, and assuming I don't cut my flights short to end up with all of my batteries at 50-60% charge, but instead at 20-30%, I do have to charge them, and sit and watch to make sure I don't overcharge, so they'll end up at the 50-60%. Bummer.

Or, I take it, I could fully charge them, and then let them auto discharge after 3 days. However I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to specify the number of days in the Smart Controller (or maybe I haven't found it yet).

Interestingly, I see there was a new DJI Go update a few days ago which changes the default discharge time to 2 days (I think). That's not available yet AFAIK for the Smart Controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS