DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about new Mini 3.

dirkclod

Reactions
You folks know I read about every thing in our forums. Now I’ve had about all the Phantoms and have had the MP1 and still have the M2P which I love and will keep.
Have had the Mini just to test with and have gifted. Same with the FPV which I found I couldn’t fly with goggles . Now before I buy this Mini 3 which I have always used a mini
ipad to fly with will I like it. I know it’s early yet but opinions would be appreciated. I do know I would want the big batteries
as where I am it wouldn’t matter to put #’s on it.
TIA
dc

when i have received my Mini 3 ,i will be happy to give my thoughts on its flying capabilities
and the performance of the new DJI RC
the camera performance i will leave to the experts ,as i dont do editing or post stuff on YT

What I am doing, after so many were disappointed in their M3 purchases is taking a wait and see attitude. So far a number of issues that multiple people are seeing but most people really like the drone. I am sure shortly once US vendors start getting the Mini 3 pro it will be available for purchase. So by that time I will know whether to get one or not. Right now I am not in any rush. I expect US retailers will have them available a lot sooner than late July/August. I remember when they announced one of the Mavics, it could have been the 1st one, that no one had stock except DJI and the wait was many months. Soon after, DJI partnered with all Apple stores and immediately I went down to the closest Apple store and they had them in stock. Those that ordered with DJI were rushing to cancel their orders to buy it locally. So being I am in no hurry I will wait until online vendors have them available and by that time I will have a better understanding of any major issues with it. Just what I am planning on doing.

Old Man Mavic, if you would - when you get it please pay attention to how the controller feels in your hands and how the joysticks and their pivots feel.
A Brit over on the DJI forum, who swamped the forum with Mini 3 videos, got one yesterday and is not complimentary about the feel of the controller.
Given how he started a whole host of threads featuring pre-release-date youtubes this is somewhat disconcerting.
An assessment from a cooler head would be welcome.

Last edited:
when i have received my Mini 3 ,i will be happy to give my thoughts on its flying capabilities
and the performance of the new DJI RC
the camera performance i will leave to the experts ,as i dont do editing or post stuff on YT

Could you do side by side with MM2 or M2P at low light and ISO 100, 200 ,400, 800,1600,3200
with DNG and upload it to : Anonymous File Upload - AnonymShare
Could be static without flying, just dark night room with some shadows on one side and light on the other.

I'm literally thinking about getting it only for night photography.

Old Man Mavic, again when you get it, you may be forced to update it before it will fly.
If so arrange a fan to blow over it, there are mentions that it gets hot during the update or left sitting powered up without the motors-running and or its flying.
It might be better to try updates via the assistant 2 and a USB cable, with my drones I have the impression that updating via assistant 2 and a cable is faster than updating via the app.
The following is speculation. The connection to assistant 2 might also change the drone's 'operating mode and maybe reduce power-usage/heat-production.

Don't say, there won't be problems, but it's been becoming quite normal with the hype initially by influencers and the overwhelming extreme to the negative a few weeks later by normal users, nitpicking every detail.

Truth is likely to be somewhere in the middle - if DJI did not mess it up to some extent (like with the M3 and still is with the GPS), that is what to be expected from all the different feelings and preferences out there.

It's always good to step back and just wait a bit or, if you don't want to wait, like me this time, have a specific reason, why you want to buy - not just because it's new. A lot of disappointments arise as people believe, a new bird mystically give them better footage automatically.

DJI's predecessors are already good so that major differences are not likely to happen and an older drone won't be bad over midnight just as the new model hitting the shelves. :cool:

Happy flying!

@Yorkshire_Pud you could link @old man mavic with the @ in front of his name so he gets a message, when you are not directly quoting but addressing him.

Last edited:
@Yorkshire_Pud ,thanks for your comments ,i appreciate them ,with regards to having a fan blowing on the drone during firmware updating, that is something i have always done ,and advocated to others ,i even do it when i charge my batteries to cool them ,with regards to doing the actual updates ,since i have been flying DJI drones ,i have always used the traditional method of having it all connected as if to fly ,and using the app ,i have never experienced any issues doing it that way ,so in the first instance i will stick with that method ,

Could you do side by side with MM2 or M2P at low light and ISO 100, 200 ,400, 800,1600,3200
with DNG and upload it to : Anonymous File Upload - AnonymShare
Could be static without flying, just dark night room with some shadows on one side and light on the other.

I'm literally thinking about getting it only for night photography.
as i do not fly at night ,and also do not fly a MM2 or M2P ,then unfortunately i will not be able to advise you on any outcomes sorry

Old Man Mavic, if you would - when you get it please pay attention to how the controller feels in your hands and how the joysticks and their pivots feel.
A Brit over on the DJI forum, who swamped the forum with Mini 3 videos, got one yesterday and is not complimentary about the feel of the controller.
Given how he started a whole host of threads featuring pre-release-date youtubes this is somewhat disconcerting.
An assessment from a cooler head would be welcome.
one mans meat is another mans poison
when it comes to the RC and how it performs ,i will certainly mention how the sticks feel with regards to sensitivity and control of the drone,its quite possible that DJI have adopted a different type of hall effect and spring tension ,for the sticks in the new RC ,maybe to reduce weight or even cost of those items ,and they do indeed feel different to previous controllers

@Yorkshire_Pud ,thanks for your comments ,i appreciate them ,with regards to having a fan blowing on the drone during firmware updating, that is something i have always done ,and advocated to others ,i even do it when i charge my batteries to cool them ,with regards to doing the actual updates ,since i have been flying DJI drones ,i have always used the traditional method of having it all connected as if to fly ,and using the app ,i have never experienced any issues doing it that way ,so in the first instance i will stick with that method ,
Sorry it just occurred to me that the fan thing was "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs", I actually came in to edit the post but you beat me to it, lol, whoops.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143