DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Part 107 rules

FromPriusToJeep

Reactions
For fun, I signed up for a 2 day drone GIS mapping class at a local community college. The first day (today) was a discussion about drones, in general, FAA rules, part 107 certification and usage of drones in mapping industries and such.

I got confused by one thing that the teacher said. He said that the FAA regulations about drone usage were only applicable to part 107 certificate holders. If I understand him correctly, that means height and VLOS aren't enforced for hobby flyers.

I didn't want to argue with him but it seems to me that he's probably wrong. I thought the FAA regulations about things like that applied to all flyers, not just part 107 flyers.

Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Currently most HOBBY operators only have guidelines but that is in the process of changing. When the new rules for hobbyist goes into effect (hopefully this year) Hobby operators will have pretty much identical rules to Part 107.

Reactions: DavidNDC and Rich55
Your instructor’s statement as related is not entirely true. Just reference the FAA website drone zone for clarification.

Your instructor’s statement as related is not entirely true. Just reference the FAA website drone zone for clarification.

Right now the FAA website is basically useless for recreational flight, because it implies that the new regulations required by the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 are already in place. They are not. The only definitive source of current regulation of recreational flight is 14 CFR Part 101 subpart E.

Right now the FAA website is basically useless for recreational flight, because it implies that the new regulations required by the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 are already in place. They are not. The only definitive source of current regulation of recreational flight is 14 CFR Part 101 subpart E.

Does this mean I should join the AMA? It mentions flying within the programming of a nation-wide community-based organization.

So far, I've been flying in my neighborhood, trying to be nice to my neighbors. So far, no complaints. I've also flown in 2 local parks. I checked their websites and neither had restrictions on drone flight.

Thanks.

Does this mean I should join the AMA? It mentions flying within the programming of a nation-wide community-based organization.

So far, I've been flying in my neighborhood, trying to be nice to my neighbors. So far, no complaints. I've also flown in 2 local parks. I checked their websites and neither had restrictions on drone flight.

Thanks.

It does say that, but the FAA has previously clarified that it doesn't require membership to follow the AMA guidelines.

It should be mentioned that one of the AMA’s cornerstone rules is to always fly within VLOS so they have ya coming and going on that one. The FAA would love for you to think that the 400 feet thing is part of the law you must follow but it’s not.

However, as @sar104 has mentioned the rules will he changing soon putting the authority back in the FAAs hands and there almost certainly will be a height limit as part of those rules. The AMA is kicking and screaming on the 400 ft height limit because it effectively bans the larger jet engine model aircraft so it’s not out of the the realm of possibilities that it could be higher than 400 ft but there will be a limit. Have to wait and see

Reactions: Rich55
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61